Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Fucking toothache.

I am almost literally fed up to the back teeth - never had any luck with mine, had to have all four of my wisdom teeth surgically removed because they didn't come through properly or were growing weird and could've damaged the nerves in my jaw.

Now I've got a back molar, which has the only filling I've ever had in my life, and apparently this filling is now pressing downwards for no fucking reason (apparently this does happen), and I've spent the past three nights getting only a couple hours' sleep, being awakened sporadically by bolts of agony coursing through my jaw. I'm insomniac anyway, but there's a special kind of hell when it's pain preventing you from getting to sleep.

Took Nurofen and Co-Codamol, neither worked for some reason. Only thing that seems to work is swirling brandy around the tooth in question, but the numbness doesn't last all that long. My mum's got Tramadol left over from her back operation, but I'm hesitant to take that option right now.

Sorry, this post doesn't really go anywhere - was more just to vent, as it seems to help.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Have you tried clove oil? Available from the pharmacist. Apply to the affected area. Another option is to suck on a clove.

Yeah, that's my go-to normally, but we ran out. Need to get down to the chemist and pick some up. Thanks.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, that's my go-to normally, but we ran out. Need to get down to the chemist and pick some up. Thanks.

When I had searing toothache I used Bonjela frugally alongside tablets. 

All 4 of my bloody wisdom teeth had to come out for similar reasons. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Took Nurofen and Co-Codamol, neither worked for some reason. Only thing that seems to work is swirling brandy around the tooth in question, but the numbness doesn't last all that long. My mum's got Tramadol left over from her back operation, but I'm hesitant to take that option right now.

Seriously, I would get on the drugs for a bit. If it's anything like the mid-worst levels of toothache I've had the lighter stuff will do absolutely nothing and you'll end up taking so many you can't crap for several days. Better temporarily woozy than in agony. 

• Moderators

I've been suffering with toothache a lot lately too. I've never had fillings or anything, but a lifetime of ADHD teeth-grinding led to one bottom tooth on each side finally shattering last year. It's usually fine, but one of them's been playing up the last couple of weeks, right where I lay my face on the pillow, so sleep (which I've always been terrible at anyway) is particularly hard to come by right now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Seriously, I would get on the drugs for a bit. If it's anything like the mid-worst levels of toothache I've had the lighter stuff will do absolutely nothing and you'll end up taking so many you can't crap for several days. Better temporarily woozy than in agony. 

At this point, I think you're probably right, Stav. But I will limit my exposure; I've not taken Tramadol before, so need to be careful - I'm thinking it'd be best to take it before bed. My mum was telling me it made her hallucinate; I'm not against such an effect when I'm not in pain, but as things stand, I think that's something I'd like to be careful about.

• Paid Members

So I took the Tramadol. I only took one, not having ever taken it before, but it took longer than I thought it would to kick in, so took the second half an hour later.

Seems the pain is related to whether I'm lying down or not, because it just wouldn't go away until I sat upright, painkillers or no. Which means I'm now sat up in bed, drifting in and out of sleep, waking up feeling like someone's sticking a Mandible Claw on me as I've unconsciously shifted to a prone position, sleep-deprived, and feeling the full effects of two capsules of heavy-duty opiates.

So: fucking hell, I can see why people can get addicted to this stuff. I'm buzzed off my tits, filled with this overwhelming feeling of calmness, peace, and a sense that everything is or will be OK. Not unpleasant, obviously, but I can see I need to be really bloody careful with this stuff.

EDIT: Still in agony. Haven't been able to sleep more than thirty minutes at most. Going to have to call the dentist, won't be able to hold out till Saturday - need to be able to work.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Should have made a toothache thread, Carbomb. Bad form.

Maybe we could get @Chest Rockwell to split out the last couple of pages to make one?

Would've done a separate thread, but wasn't sure if it'd get much traction.

EDIT: Thanks, @Gus Mears. I've just spoken to the dentist and they've got me an emergency slot at 12:45. At this point, I don't mind if they pull the damn thing out; I'll save up for an implant, or maybe wait to see how that cloning/growing teeth tech develops over the next few years.

Edited by Carbomb

Since we're on the subject, I had a dentist's appointment this morning and it turns out I need another wisdom tooth taken out. That's been arranged for next month and holds no fear after my last extraction 6 and a bit years ago went smoothly.

Feels like I haven't had toothache for ages, mind. Best of luck, @Carbomb. I'd echo Onyx's Bonjela advice, but if the pain is as bad as you make it sound then you probably need more of whatever stronger stuff you've been taking.

• Paid Members

Back from the dentist, and pain-free! Apart from a few anaesthetic jabs in the gums, was a relatively painless process. The jollop's still in effect, though, so half my mouth's still numb.

They did half the procedure I'm booked in for for Saturday - they removed the nerve and put in root filling, and they're putting the crown in on the weekend.

Either way, result. I can finally get some proper sleep tonight.

Thanks, @Fog Dude.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I had a couple of teeth taken out earlier this year. They came out fairly easily. The way the dentist went at them though was rather terrifying. Jabbing at them with this plastic spatula. You could hear and feel the grinding and snapping. Not a pleasant experience. Lay off the sweets people.

Edited by BigJag