Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not to thwart D-Mal's efforts to kill the megathread, but I didn't figure this fitted anywhere else.

Just got back from the hospital for my yearly cystoscopy (camera up the pee-hole). The cancer bastard hasn't come back, so that's good. Still stinging like a bitch, though - constantly fighting the urge to pee.

If I'm clear on my next visit, next year, they downgrade me to one appointment every two years, or, if the doctor thinks it's completely unnecessary, no more appointments at all. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

That's tremendous news Carbomb, besides the camera up the cock bit. 

Thanks, Gus. Yeah, it's no fun at all (especially as I can never sleep the night before, even though I need to be at the hospital at 7:30 in the morning); what usually happens is a gradually rising wave of anxiety and panic starts the previous afternoon, and builds up until the actual procedure happens, at which point I'm fighting the urge to break down. It's worse than the physical pain and discomfort in some ways. Then the doctor tells me I'm all clear, and it all dissipates.

But y'know what? I'm fucking lucky, and I know that. There are others who have to deal with much worse, so I count my lucky stars that I've not had to go through the horrendousness of radio and chemo, and that my family haven't had to go through the after-effects of that.

• Paid Members

My da has incurable bladder cancer that's spread to the shoulders and lymph nodes. He's currently swinging haymakers and knocking the bejays out of it with outrageous positivity ("There's nothing poxy wrong with me. I keep telling yiz, yiz all have it bleedin wrong") and hasn't suffered any adverse sides from the intense radiation course he finished or the chemo he's currently balls deep in the midst of. No hair loss, sickness, jaundice, sore mouth, anything.

I've been devastated all year because that man has never done anything bad on anyone but I'm proud to be that man's son.

My da did say the tube lodged up his japs eye for four days was the worst part of it all.

Cancer's an absolute cunt , a scourge. It got me ma, but the more stories I hear about people fighting back and coming out on top absolutely warms my heart. Good on you, Gerry. Delighted to hear you're okay.

Echo the good to hear sentiments! My daughter was diagnosed with melanoma while in her final year at uni (at the age of 21). It was only a few months from diagnosis to her being given the all clear but was the worst few months of my life (Her being at uni and me having moved further away in the other direction didn’t help). She doesn’t tell me when she’s due her check ups anymore, she just tells me after that everything is ok. I’m getting palpitations just typing this, so god knows what it feels like to experience it yourself. 

• Paid Members

Thanks so much, guys.

Branqfurter - so sorry to hear that; glad to hear he's pounding at the fucker, but sorry to hear it's incurable. I know that feeling of the catheter - had the same thing in the hospital bed for about three, four days too. Horrible, it is. 

thicko - Really sorry you had to go through that, nobody should have to experience that for their kid. Absolutely chuffed that she's all clear now, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Moved into a new bungalow while the council knocks down and rebuilds our current street. Now in an area of town I don't feel comfortable being around too late at night and have to walk to work from at night, with a room on the front right on the end of the street where.most taxis drop off drunk people at 3am (so not a chance I'm ever opening a window with my anxiety disorder) the house is hollow as hell so you can hear everyone walking around which is already great when I struggle to sleep and have to nap in the day before work and most of all my Aspergers makes any change to my routine and life absolutely unbearable to the state of self harm.

But its all okay because everyone else is fine with the move and likes the house and I'll eventually get used to it and its all just because I'm a bit tired and ill. Or whatever everyone keeps telling me because nobody seems to understand a anxiety disorder in my family because they're all peachy health wise.

Sorry ramble over but I had to get that out somewhere.

• Awards Moderator

This won’t help with everything @Shy Dad but for the noise, I’ve found the little foam earplugs you get in packs of 20 pairs from Superdrug have been a lifesaver. I pop a pair of those in before bed and the traffic and drunks outside the window are gone, plus I can still hear my alarm! They might help a bit, at least with the noise part. They’re BOGOF at the moment too.