Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Not that it matters to anyone here, but I had my first ever hot towel/cutthroat razor shave today.

It wasn’t that relaxing, to be honest.

A Lebanese gentlemen covered me in soggy linen whilst he told me about his mates fat wife, then he took a blade to my throat.

Think I’ll stick with the electric razor in future.

• Paid Members

I love getting a shave at my local Turkish barber. Clearly that guy's doing it wrong. Or it might be that, as it was your first time, you're not used to it yet. Obviously it's daunting having a lethally-sharp blade near such a vulnerable part of the body, but remember the guy's a pro and has probably spent years training for the very purpose of giving you the closest shave it's possible to have without slitting your carotid.

When I have the money, I'm seriously thinking about going down to one of the old-style gentlemen's grooming shops on Jermyn Street; they give lessons on how to do a pro shave with a cut-throat razor - not just avoiding slicing yourself up, but skin treatment, avoiding razor burn, etc. Then I'd probably pick up a barber's razor with a replaceable blade, so I can practice before getting an expensive brand new or refurbished vintage forged steel one.

• Paid Members

Heard another one a while back: how did the hipster drown? He tried to go ice-skating before it was cool - and fell into the mainstream.

• Paid Members

I think it's in this thread I was talking about how I was panicking about uni and that an increase in the severity of the depression and anxiety - and what that tends to lead to - has made my uni work suffer. 

I am now up-to-date, in terms of module assignments. All I have left for uni is my final year project. I have talked with the admin department and was told to submit a mitigating circumstances form to ask for an extension, which I am doing. What I find quite odd is what they list under examples of circumstances that would NOT normally be considered mitigating circumstances: "feeling generally anxious, depressed or stressed (unless medically certificated and notified in advance i.e. at least 2 weeks)"

I don't quite know what they mean here. "General" anxiety and depression can be quite severe. I assume by "medically certified and notified in advance" they mean ahead of the deadline by a doctors note, which I am doing. I don't know, just seems a bit iffy of them to write off the idea that "general" depression and anxiety would potentially be a mitigating circumstance. 

@SpursRiot2012 as someone who doesn't suffer from anxiety or depression but does know uni stuff, I apologise in advance if this comes across as me being flippant or belittling the condition in any way, it's not intended as such...

I suspect that wording is more aimed the people who do not have anxiety or depression, have delayed doing their work and now realise they're going to miss deadlines to hand stuff in. If you've not been to a doctor and have no medical evidence to support the claim of anxiety, it's difficult to prove or disprove that you have it, or have suffered to the extent it's affected your ability to do your work. My uni tends to give the benefit of the doubt in such cases, but if your uni has had a lot of people all claiming the same condition without any medical evidence, then the uni will clamp down on it. Such wording is it aimed at the people genuinely suffering, its aimed at deterring the people trying to get an easy extension. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Grecian said:

@SpursRiot2012 as someone who doesn't suffer from anxiety or depression but does know uni stuff, I apologise in advance if this comes across as me being flippant or belittling the condition in any way, it's not intended as such...

I suspect that wording is more aimed the people who do not have anxiety or depression, have delayed doing their work and now realise they're going to miss deadlines to hand stuff in. If you've not been to a doctor and have no medical evidence to support the claim of anxiety, it's difficult to prove or disprove that you have it, or have suffered to the extent it's affected your ability to do your work. My uni tends to give the benefit of the doubt in such cases, but if your uni has had a lot of people all claiming the same condition without any medical evidence, then the uni will clamp down on it. Such wording is it aimed at the people genuinely suffering, its aimed at deterring the people trying to get an easy extension. 

Yeah, that probably is it, actually. I could see how that'd be an issue.

In your experience, how do they work out - when mitigating circumstances are accepted - how long an extension to give? I've been told my mitigating circumstances board won't meet until May, after my deadline, so now I'm not sure if I should submit my project late, but at a standard I know is representative of my abilities or if I should submit what I consider substandard work that isn't, due to external medical factors. Issue is, if I submit late and my mitigating circumstances claim is rejected, I think I'm capped at 40% due to late submission.

It's done on a case by case, depending on the medical condition and circumstances. My place usually goes in three month blocks, to take you through to the next exam board, but each university has their own criteria. Speak to your tutor or Student Support team, they can advise what happens at your institution.