Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

I'm being interlectually beaten by a quiz question that's been running since June and it's starting to border on obsession now.Ā 

The quiz I go to each week has a grand final prize if someone can guess the top answer. There's 5 answers on the board and people have got three of the top 5 with the number one still to go. At this point I just want one of the teams to get it so the damn thing is dead because it's genuinely playing on my OCD tenancies to a point I've had a A3*sheet working out possible answers.Ā 

Anyone else ever been so confused and irrational over something trivial?Ā 

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

So it's basically a list of five artists that have had a uk number 1 since 2000 solo or band. But there's no clues. So people got elvis, Sam and the womp and Jls from simple guessing but there's something that links all three and then the two other answers including the top prize (currently over 500 quid).Ā 

For a while we had a whole theory about it being a collaboration with Dutch artists (sam and the womp are British and Dutch, Elvis vs Junkie XL but JLS messed that one up but opened up an idea about being the artist after someone associated with x Factor the next number one).Ā 

That was thinking way too in depth but were relying on me and my Aspergers to essentially lock into the answer eventually before another team gets it. Genuinely was up until 3am the night after the quiz one week trying to work out what the obvious answer is.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 27/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, SuperBacon said:

As some of you know, I've been in a bad situation recently, but things are slightly looking up as I've managed to bag myself a job!

It's at the local Waitrose at nights and is far from the career move I want, but at least it gives me stability whilst I look for something more suitable. As it's a smallish branch as well, they're looking to promote quickly from within and as my ex worked for Waitrose for a bit, I know what a decent business they are, so you never know.

It also means I can listen to podcasts whilst I work (maybe I'll actually listen to some Hardcore History's now), and the pay is pretty good for what it is, and means I can help out with childcare after school and we don't have to pay stupid money for that anymore. Will also mean I have my days free to do some writing (or studying?), and lurk on the forum more, or go get another part time job, I don't know. Plus I don't sleep at night anyway.

I'm looking for somewhere else to live as my current landlord has turned out to be an absolute psychopath, but at least I've ticked one thing off. Cannot wait to start, I absolutely hate not working. Oh and very belated congrats to @Shy Dad for his job too :)

Ā 

I work for Waitrose! Welcome!Ā 

They've been tremendous with me in the last 18 months, as I suffer with Crohn's disease and after nearly 30 years with it I finally got to the major surgery required stage.

Said major surgery finally happened 2 and a half weeks ago, when I had an Ileostomy. It's been a huge change, but feeling free of the symptoms of Crohn's for now is already amazing. I've just got to rehab from the physical side of the surgery now.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, gadge said:

I work for Waitrose! Welcome!Ā 

They've been tremendous with me in the last 18 months, as I suffer with Crohn's disease and after nearly 30 years with it I finally got to the major surgery required stage.

Said major surgery finally happened 2 and a half weeks ago, when I had an Ileostomy. It's been a huge change, but feeling free of the symptoms of Crohn's for now is already amazing. I've just got to rehab from the physical side of the surgery now.Ā 

Thatā€™s fucking mint... nice one mate.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

So it's basically a list of five artists that have had a uk number 1 since 2000 solo or band.

Hang on, you just have to name a number 1 artist from the past 17 years and hope it's one of the ones written down? That's not a question, that's a publican caught out with an unfinished quiz.

Am I missing something?Ā 

6 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm being interlectually beaten

Well this is ironic.

This it?Ā https://sites.google.com/view/barwars/about/bar-wars-mania

Edited by Onyx2

4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

A look back to BBC's "Ghostwatch" 25 years later and about the guy who sadly killed himself over it..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41740176

Anybody here old enough to remember "Ghostwatch"? I'll admit i nearly shart my pants watching it. (first time)

I'm old enough to admit without (much) shame now that it scared me so much I slept in my parents bed for months afterwards. I was 7

They to had to bribe me in early December by saying for every night I slept in my own bed, I'd get a small treat every morning in lieu of an advent calendar.

Ive never watched it back and not sure I ever will. "Pipes"...FUCK. OFFĀ 

@gadgeĀ thanks pal! Yeah as mentioned ex worked there and we went on the family day, weekend out to Odney and Letchworth etc, so yeah good company.Ā 

Good news about you getting better :)

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I reckon it's a case of they thought by now people would have got it and it's turned out to be harder than they imagined. Like once someone guessed one or two the rest would follow but people are just getting way too technical on it.Ā 

If it's for a big cash prize, I'd have thought it's more likely they don't want people to have got it yet - they don't want to give out the money, but want to keep people coming back and (presumably) paying to do the quiz in the hope of winning it, hence making the question vague enough to be nigh-on impossible.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

A look back to BBC's "Ghostwatch" 25 years later and about the guy who sadly killed himself over it..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41740176

Anybody here old enough to remember "Ghostwatch"? I'll admit i nearly shart my pants watching it. (first time)

Quite a few people here remember it. I was amongst the absolutely terrified watching it when it was first broadcast. I'm pretty sure @Astro Hollywood did an article about it too.