Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Genuinely surprised the People's Republic of Hull even has credit cards to be honest.

I don't even bother using my contactless card these days for lunch, drinks etc- just use my phone. Barclays app has contactless built in which is pretty handy. Plus I'm not likely to lose it, seeing as it's practically glued to my hand.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It can happen. But you can get an RFID protector card to put in your wallet that blocks it. Or line the inside of your wallet with tinfoil.

Just had a look at this online and there are sleeves for cards for as little as Ā£3. That's pretty good actually considering others are Ā£50.

I acquired an iPhone SE recently due to an upgrade, was going to sell it but then lost my phone in use. I've set up Apple Pay which sounds similar if not the same to what you're talking about @PunkStep. I'll need to have a proper read regarding what and how it works.

Honestly, you don't realise how out of the loop you are until someone mentions something that is pretty much the norm and you're yet to cotton on. It's happened several times this month and I've had to have a word with myself, how was I oblivious?

In between this and Jacobi, I worry about what I'm missing. I honestly had no idea of the recentĀ London bomb attack until a couple of days after.

21 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Honestly, you don't realise how out of the loop you are until someone mentions something that is pretty much the norm and you're yet to cotton on. It's happened several times this month and I've had to have a word with myself, how was I oblivious?

I went into my bank last week for the first time in "a while," and froze when instead of a row of clerks behind glass screens I found the same queue leading to a bunch of touchscreens. I felt like I'd stepped out of the TARDIS, wondering if the cheque in my hand was even a recognised thing anymore.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

@Kaz Hayashi @Uncle Zeb you should see some of the food places around here. There are salad bars that consist of nothing more than a long row of Samsung tablets that you use to create your own salad or wrap and then pay using contactless.

What's aĀ salad?

Ā 

But yeah, that's nuts. My closest official phone shop doesn't even have any interactive devices, let alone salad bars.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Just to add to this, whilst in London last month for Rev Pro, I was stunned in my half drunk state to have to order my Mcdonalds via a touchscreen.Ā 

You don't get that in the Valleys.Ā 

If you can order a MDs via touch screen, you should also be able to select the toy you don't have when ordering aĀ happy meal... no excuse.Ā 

I don't mind ordering food by touchscreen. They've been doing it in Japan for years and I've long appreciated the idea, as I feel it streamlines the process for the customer and also reduces the time that staff need to spend interacting with the shitty public. There are situations where it needs to be optional though.

Problem with those Maccy D's touch screens is you have to order each meal individually, you can't just select 3x chicken nugget meals or whatever. You have to faff about going back to the start of the menu and order the next one. I suppose they're great if you're on your own but it's a damn sight quicker for me to order a meal for 5 people at the counter with a human.

• Paid Members

I've used the McDonalds touch screen thing once, as I pretty much never go there. I kind of like it, though. Some days I can't really be bothered dealing with human beings, so on a day like that I'll be more likely to go to a shop I know has self-service checkouts, just to get it over and done with.

I'm not on board with contactless cards yet, though. Don't trust 'em.

My favourite use of contactless is the M6 toll road. Because I'm a massive baby I like to pretend I'm an F1 driver having a pit stop and contactless allows for a quick time. Ā Then I can resume sticking to the speed limit and swearing at middle lane hoggersĀ 

55 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Problem with those Maccy D's touch screens is you have to order each meal individually, you can't just select 3x chicken nugget meals or whatever. You have to faff about going back to the start of the menu and order the next one. I suppose they're great if you're on your own but it's a damn sight quicker for me to order a meal for 5 people at the counter with a human.

When you order multiples of something you can just press the + button and it will add on that many times of the order.Ā 

Before the history books lump me in with the self service checkout users, I'd just like to say for the record that those things are evil and all who engage with them are the spawn of Satan.

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Before the history books lump me in with the self service checkout users, I'd just like to say for the record that those things are evil and all who engage with them are the spawn of Satan.

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

Liar, I bet you fucking love them. I bet you scan 3 carrots in as an individual carrot and claim you have your own bag.