Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

The woman in the shop this morning said "Happy Friyay" Fri-yay.  Anyone that says those words can fuck off and die. In that order.

Obviously I didn't say that to her as, well, she's lovely in every other way, I think I just looked confused and walked out but for fucks sake, Friyay? Jesus Christ.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I've been at work all day while the other half went to a Harry Potter convention with her mate. I get home to find them watching Twilight and saying they plan to watch them all tonight.

Do I call off the wedding or break the tv?

Make them watch this on repeat!

• Paid Members

It's still worries me if I'm honest. The first time I needed a replacement card, post-contactless became available I requested a non-contactless version. They said no at first and I went off it with them, especially seeing as they were supposed to make additional precautions with my account due to fraud 2 years previous (£1400 worth).

Alas, I've now got a contactless card and yeah, it's really easy to use without thinking, especially in a bar. Not only do I worry I'll lose it and goods will be purchased, but even the concept of some slink having a machine or app on their person, they stand next to you and without you knowing, funds are taken.

I haven't heard of that happening yet, but it can't be that far off from being possible.

Also, congrats @Shy Dad

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Out in Asia there isn't even chip and pin on a lot of cards. It throws places off if I use the UK card. Loads of drunk expats go to bars in Vietnam and get pissed only for the staff to add a few extra zeros to the bill 1million Vietnam is about £35. I always worried for a few days if used my card on a night out here. My bank uses a double account system with free online transfers between. We are encouraged to keep minimal in the debit card acct as the fraud protection is shit and there's fuck all compensation if someone steals and signs as you here

As Chest mentioned you can buy RFID cards to pop in your wallet, or you can buy an RIFD Wallet, which essentially has a small microchip build into the construction of the wallet itself. They sell them where I work but you can get them in most places that sell wallets & purses and will set you back about £10.

Contactless seems to be becoming a little too commonplace up here, which is odd seen as Hull is usually about a decade behind the time. The look on people's faces when you tell them that they can't use their contactless. Where I used to work I once had a guy spending just over the £30 limit, so he then decided he wanted to pay separately for one thing just so that he could do contactless transactions 

Edited by WyattSheepMask