Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

They're based in Hong Kong, but it's possible they've decided to sell it rather than rent it. Shy Dad - I wouldn't have thought so as it hasn't been listed anywhere for at least a month as the let was agreed. Also they would have had to go through the estate agents, and as far as they are telling us, they've got nothing to do with it. For their part (estate agents) they're refunding us all the money, including fees we have paid, and are helping us find a flat in the same area, even going so far as to point us in the direction of another flat in the same building that's being let by a different agents, so it's safe to say they are pretty mortified. We've lined up other viewings for tomorrow in a few other places now, so I'm confident we're not going to be out on the street, but it's certainly a hassle we could do without, particularly as I was all excited about having everything in place. 

Edited by gmoney

Sounds more like they're selling it. If they were renting it out to someone else instead of you, I doubt the estate agents would care as much as they are as they'd be getting the same money regardless of who's going to be renting it.

Looks like that because of what's happening, they're trying to keep your custom because they'd lose out if you went else where.

• Paid Members

Because I am a true West Countryman, I will be spending the day at the mighty Frome Cheese Festival.

I'm very excited. Cheese pavilion, Shetland Pony Grand National, The Wurzels and lots of innocuous looking cider that is more powerful than diesel.

• Paid Members

My mate and his wife recently took in what was believed to be a stray cat. She (the cat) is probably around 4 or 5 years old, pretty smelly, no collar, quite a pretty face and incredibly friendly.

She was popping to my pals on a daily basis, they started to put a bit of food out near the back door for her, then she started coming in, no bother at all and they didn't mind. They just let her in the kitchen dining area and she would just curl up on a little blanket, sleep all day until about 6.00pm and then went on her way.

Over the last 3 weeks or so, she didn't bother getting up and just stayed at theirs, nipping out and coming back, but by all means my pals thought they had pretty much adopted her.

A FB post went out from someone saying they had lost their cat. The person in question lives in a small flat, has 5 cats, 2 dogs that fight a lot and a bloody hedgehog. Also has a reputation for being a bit of a nob. 

My pals got in touch to explain what had been happening and the woman didn't really respond, but did take to FB to say she had found her cat. It keeps coming back and although they let it in they don't feed it and don't let it stay. They got really attached and it's a shame it got to this point.

When they got in touch they didn't know about the owners circumstances and obviously wanted to do the right thing by reuniting them.

It seems pretty clear to me that the cat wants some peace and quiet. Her owners place doesn't sound particularly pleasant. 

Personally I would keep letting her in, feed her and let her stay and claim none the wiser. Am I out of line here? The cat isn't mistreated by the owner by the look of things. They are a bit gutted about it as I say, they have grown attached over the last 6 months.

I'd be tempted to start feeding the cat again, and let it come round as much as it wants. Cats will only go where it suits them, if it likes the attention, food ad quiet, I'd encourage it round as much as it wanted. Then move away and take it with me! 

It's quite common I think for cats to have a "second home" a friend of mine's Mum realised their cat had been popping regularly to a neighbor's house for years, sometimes for several days. We had a local cat for a long time who would do anything to get into ours as well. Used to wait for my Mum to come back from the weekly shop and sneak in while she was unloading the car and run up to an open bedroom for a kip. Ginger bugger used to get a few hours in if my Mum didn't pop up for anything. 

• Paid Members
On 09/09/2017 at 8:16 AM, Gus Mears said:

Because I am a true West Countryman, I will be spending the day at the mighty Frome Cheese Festival.

I'm very excited. Cheese pavilion, Shetland Pony Grand National, The Wurzels and lots of innocuous looking cider that is more powerful than diesel.

I had a fantastic time at the cheese show. Ate my own body weight in free samples, had a lot of delicious rhubarb cider, Wurzeled it up, saw two Shetland Pony races and enjoyed the imperial majesty of the sheep show, which was won by Nobby.

sheep.png

Edited by Gus Mears