Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I didn't want to get to pluggy pluggy because I only lurk here but I done a book.Ā 

No, seriously.Ā 

http://lovestarpublications.bigcartel.com/product/vegetable-television

I'm basically running a cottage industry from my bedroom of self publishing and handling the distribution myself for chump change whilst the ultimate end goal of shopping it to literary agents for wider publishing distribution remains intact. It's kind of the cosmic vomit of a few years dissociation and dead ending on my part, and the writing of it was done between last November and March of this year.Ā 

I'm not sure if it isĀ to anybody here's tastes but check it out if you want. It's on Amazon too but my site is cooler. The missus done the cover art.Ā 

Cheers.Ā 

Good luck with it.Ā 

Out of curiosity, are you planning to push this as much as possible Ā or have you got other book ideas that you're itching to get out?

I can see you have an end goal, but is that for this particular book or as a writer in general?

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I'm planning to push it locally as much as possible. Cork is quite a microcosm, especially with the whole mid twenties to early thirties coming-of-age-again shtick the book is brandishing. The end goal is to just make a decent living off writing. I've made fuck all so far, obviously, and probably won't for a long time but I get by decent enough working food markets so life's not too shabby. I'm doing a kids book with the other half whose an illustrator, have another novel idea on the go and will try and get my fingers dirty in as much other extra curricular writing as I can in the coming months.Ā 

Not having an online following is my biggest drawback and I've been putting it off for ages because the idea of currying favor trying to get social media bumps narks me but I'll have to suck it up and start from scratch.

Working on formatting a digital edition as we speak.Ā 

• Paid Members

Fair play to you for having the commitment to write a book and the guts to put it out there. Good work. Rather like the "cosmic vomit" representation on the cover.

The social media thing - it's rather annoying, sure, but if you're self-published, you'll need all the marketing you can get for free. Until you get a publisher who will have a budget for all that, you've only got yourself right now.

Cheers, man.Ā 

An old Catholic mental asylum that's mentioned in the book went up in flames across the river last night so I'm claiming it as a marketing ploy.Ā 

• Paid Members

My neighbors had a falling out today. She smashed a bottle over his head. He threw a microwave, but his aim was off and it landed on my car.Ā 

It's fair to say I'm not best pleased about the situation.

On a Betty Swollocks day like today, I like to imagine you were sittingĀ in the car at the time, fanning yourself and saying, "Phwoh, it's like an oven in here..." *SMASH*

25 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

My neighbors had a falling out today. She smashed a bottle over his head. He threw a microwave, but his aim was off and it landed on my car.Ā 

It's fair to say I'm not best pleased about the situation.

Did he go in the house, get the microwave and then go out into the street to throw it at her or has he thrown it through the window and on to your car like some Russian shot put Olympian?

Anyone else had flying ant day? Ā went out on my bike earlier and was swarmed by the cunts.I must have swallowed a dozen of them, I was glad I was wearing sunglasses though, there was a good chance of my having an accident because of them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, MrK said:

Did he go in the house, get the microwave and then go out into the street to throw it at her or has he thrown it through the window and on to your car like some Russian shot put Olympian?

Not entirely sure. I came out about twenty seconds after it all happened and just him holding his head, and her holding half a bottle. Apparently one shouldn't talk shit about her family when one doesn't properly know them.

As there didn't seem to be any further bottlings forthcoming, I went down to the car, saw the dent, and then noticed a very unhappy looking microwave in the middle of the road.

24npvsl.jpg

Trust me this year to opt for the higher excess and lower premium. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Ladiesman345 said:

IsĀ that a Nissan Micro?

No, it's a Note. It's alright, as hideously dull, beige cars go.

Actually it's not. It's almost comically underpowered, and the CD player has no USB/SD slot and can't read MP3s off a disc.