PowerButchi

General Football 2016/17

4,883 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Why wouldn't they though? Wenger came from the Japanese league and nobody knew who he was

I'm not saying he was well known, but he was at Monaco for 7 years before that and won the league in his first season there, and was generally pretty successful for most of his spell. FWIW, I think Brenton would probably do well at Arsenal.

@BriefcaseHe's only a nobody if you believe the soundbites used to tell a more dramatised story of his arrival. Some of the lazier English media didn't know who Wenger was (and most of the fans here, which is no surprise as coverage of non-English football was scarce back then), same with the Arsenal team and Alex Ferguson. But he certainly wasn't an unknown in European football, he'd had success at Monaco- winning the league and the French Cup there. His tenure there caught the attention of clubs. Wenger claimed he left France following the recent bribery allegations that tainted the league, so decided to spend a couple of years in Japan.

David Dein clearly wanted him in place earlier, but Wenger refused to break his contract- which many speculate is why we bizarrely appointed Bruce Rioch as manager for a season.

The French league then was in good shape- significantly moreso than the Scottish league now. Marseille had not long won the European Cup and reached another final, Monaco were Cup Winners Cup finalists during Wenger's reign, too. You also had the emerging power of PSG.

Edited by PunkStep

But do you think Wenger back then was a bigger name than Rodgers now? I don't see much difference to be honest between the coaches. Rodgers is well known for obvious reasons but they have both won trophies, played good football and have the future ahead of them (by that I mean Wenger back in 1996). 

You could even argue that Rodgers has gone to Celtic much like Wenger went to Japan, obviously without the corruption but as a challenge and somewhere to learn and develop before another move to a bigger club, bearing in mind that back then Arsenal were a sleeping giant so wasn't the Arsenal of today.

Personally I see Rodgers in with a chance and can see some similarities between the both.  

Edited by Briefcase

It's not about being a 'bigger name' though is it? Joe Royle was a bigger name in English football than Wenger was in 1996. Roy Hodgson is a big name, but he's probably never going to get another Premier League job again is he? It's about being proven and good enough for the job. 

As I said, Brendan has done a fantastic job at Celtic- truly outstanding achievement, but I don't think that's enough to warrant another shot at one of the biggest teams in the Premier League just yet. How can we appoint a manager that was sacked by one of our rivals less than two years ago? If he wasn't good enough for Liverpool, why would he be good enough for Arsenal? And don't use the Mourinho argument because he clearly had proved himself for United, irrespective of his Chelsea departure.

Maybe he is good enough for Arsenal, maybe he could do a job- he's definitely talented there's no question (and young) but I think he needs to prove himself first before he is given such an opportunity again.

And I don't know what to make of the sleeping giant comment. It'd only been 5 years since we last won the league when Wenger took over and had won a further three cups within the previous three seasons. We had one truly shit season when George Graham went to shit after the bung allegations, but that aside we were always there or thereabouts.

Edited by PunkStep

Who could realistically replace Wenger this summer? Allegri looks to have committed to Juve. Tuchel maybe?

I read that Tuchel is meant to be leaving but not sure he is ready yet to join a club like Arsenal. 

I think the best thing for Wenger to do if signing a new deal would be to outright say he is leaving in one/two years and this is his last contract, yeah some fans may not take a liking to it but at least he would be open and may earn more respect if everyone knows he is leaving, then no more will he stay/won't he until he actually goes, then it gives Arsenal a year or two to find a replacement and/or put things into place. It might even encourage Ozil/Sanchez to stay as well. 

I find it staggering how little Rodgers seems to be rated down south. He almost took Liverpool to the title, which they are rarely competing for, and then his best striker was sold and he was given a replacement he didn't want. Looking at some of the comments on here you'd think he made a complete arse of that Liverpool job.

I'd say Liverpools title challenge was more down to the brilliance of Suarez than the brilliance of B-Rod.  He is regarded well, but as an upper mid manager as opposed to a top manager.