UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs Thompson - Sat Jun 18th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You could play a hundred different versions of MacDonald vs. Thompson in your mind, and you'd be unlikely to get as dull a fight as that main event was. Luckily, the two fights prior were great fun.

I don't want to write Rory off, it'd be easy to say that Lawler took his soul, but he was buddies with Wonderboy. In a similar way, Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans was lacklustre, even though they supposedly hated each other by the time the fight came around.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You have to remember as well, Rory wasn't always the most exciting fighter. People forget because of how amazing the Lawler fight was and how impressive he looked against Woodley, Saffiedine and Maia. But does anyone remember that absolutely rancid fight he had against Jake Ellenberger?

Rory's always blown hot and cold. Granted he'd looked great for a longer spell than he'd ever looked previously coming into this. He'd looked really good ever since he lost the first Lawler fight IMO, three years ago. But coming off a fight like he had against Lawler last July, and after a year away, and against a friend...I don't know, he just didn't look the same.

I didn't think it was that bad a fight though, just not as good as I'd hoped. But Rory REALLY didn't need another war here. Maybe that was another reason the fight last night played out as it did. Hopefully he can go away and come back better from this. Whether it be in the UFC or if he decides to go to Bellator. I like Rory a lot. It took me ages to warm to him but he seems like a good guy. All class post-fight as well.

Oh, I doubt he'd go to Bellator, too big a name for UFC to let go, especially because he's flying the Canadian flag. But, I think, like Gustaffson, he needs a step back in competition. Let him get some confidence back after that Lawler war.

I felt bad for him post-fight. He was quite obviously crushed, and trying to give a composed interview. I think UFC should steer clear of interviewing the losers overall, it never goes well.

But still, would not be surprised if bodies were found in Rory's basement one day. He's a weird, weird fellow.

• Paid Members

He was on about possibly going to Bellator though before this fight. This was the last fight in his UFC contract and he wanted to test out free agency. I put some quotes somewhere in this thread where Rory talks about it and I can see his reasoning. He's purely after the highest offer at this stage. You'd think that would come from the UFC but you just never know. He's coming off two losses in a row now, and he didn't look great last night. If the UFC lowball him he could be off to Bellator. Depends what value the UFC see in fighting for him.

In the end, I think they will try to keep hold of him. He's still got upside and he's not old or over the hill. But it depends. If Bellator make a strong play for him and the UFC don't feel it's worth their while to match it, Rory could be going to Cokerland.

Ah, that's right, I forgot all about that.

Still, the Canadian thing is big. Commentary were pushing him big as Canada's superstar, and with GSP on the sidelines, what other top level fighter represents Canada and brings in the big business from the Canada market? Elias Theodorou? Patrick Cote? 

That might be the thing that causes the UFC to offer more money to Rory than a fighter coming off a performance like that would typically get.

• Paid Members

I felt sorry for Rory during that. Wonderboy is one of the best in the world and that, so no disgrace or surprise in the loss, but I was expecting more from Rory seeing as he is also a top contender. He was obviously wanting to look impressive given his contract situation and he didn't. Oh well, hope it works out for Rory. I'm always amazed at how young he is given how many battles he's had.

Fun show. Two absolute cracking matches.

• Paid Members

That war with Lawler will be hard to get over for Rory. I would even say it's worse than the Shogun Hendo war considering the end damage. His nose and skull were caved in terribly and it's hard to imagine if someone can overcome that?

Last night whilst he wasn't terrible he was afraid to truly go for the win.

Playing a chess match with Thompson was a crazy tactic. Thompson basically picked him apart.

I'm not even sure of Rory'so value in the Canadian market. It's near impossible to route for a guy who's demeanour is that of a serial killer.

Just caught up with this, the Bosse fight was amazing! I loved that ruck, even if Herb Dean stopped it two seconds early. All in all a really good event for me. Thought Calderwood was excellent.

• Paid Members

The Bosse fight was great fun.

And yeah, loved Calderwood's performance. Easily the best she's looked in the UFC. And she managed to stop Letourneau, which is something even Joanna Jedrzejczyk was unable to do.

I really enjoyed the Main, I appreciate a chess style boxing fight, not every fight is going to a 'barn burner'. I was engrossed from start to finish.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the ref in the Calderwood fight, what was his game? Surely the second a fighter holds up their hands and says no more the fight is over? It was clear Letourneau wanted out of the fight, what ever happened to a fighters safety being the most important thing?

• Paid Members

Really felt for Rory at the post fight presser. Did anyone catch that? He seemed gutted. He broke his nose again, in the 5th round, and was suggesting he might now need to consider further surgery and more time off. Just the thought of that after watching the beating he took in the Lawler fight makes me feel uneasy. We were talking about Gus taking a step down in competition and it feels a little bit like Rory is in a similar place. Where does he really go from here?

What about the scoring for the main event? Two judges had it 50-45 and one has it 48-47. I'm no expert but 50-45 is way off what I had. I gave Rory 1 and 2, 4 and 5 were clearly for Wonderboy. 3 I could go either way on.

• Paid Members

Really felt for Rory at the post fight presser. Did anyone catch that? He seemed gutted. He broke his nose again, in the 5th round, and was suggesting he might now need to consider further surgery and more time off. Just the thought of that after watching the beating he took in the Lawler fight makes me feel uneasy. We were talking about Gus taking a step down in competition and it feels a little bit like Rory is in a similar place. Where does he really go from here?

What about the scoring for the main event? Two judges had it 50-45 and one has it 48-47. I'm no expert but 50-45 is way off what I had. I gave Rory 1 and 2, 4 and 5 were clearly for Wonderboy. 3 I could go either way on.

It's worth remembering Rory is 26. So long as his body doesn't decides it's had enough or he loses passion for it like Gus, then Rory will be trying his hardest to improve, eventually get the title and, of course, make the sort of money he's after - who knows maybe Rory turns into a Cerrone-type where his next move is always getting paid. His last two losses are against battle tested veterans that are putting it all together at 33. Rory has time on his side.

• Paid Members

You never know - Rory might be a Robbie Lawler a few years down the line. I hope he doesn't find himself in the wilderness as long or sustain as many losses, though. He's a classy guy, a good fighter, and deserves to do well, IMO.

More and more fighters are coming out unhappy with their pay. Obviously it goes without saying that they're the ones who signed the contract.

That being said though, I thought it was interesting that Cerrone said at the post-fight presser that 'UFC pay him like shit' considering the entertainment value he has given them over the years.

And now Calderwood has said she's "broke as hell" and not winning a performance bonus has meant she can't afford to do her next camp at TriStar.

Archived