Big Songs & Music in Your Life

Mr.E

• Paid Members

chuck me in the You Could Be Mine club, i already liked GnR and owned Appetite for Destruction at a real young age on cassette (to this day im not actually sure how i had it, my parents certaily wern't fans), so a You Could Be Mine/Terminator combo was a no brainer. The song specifically reminds me of roller disco's, it takes me right back. Me and a few mates would request it every week (the roller disco DJ sadly passed away a month or so ago) and we'd skate like maniacs when it came on, all thoughts on self-preservation went down the shitter, we just went nuts. Great memories.

Fucking roller disco! That's a blast from the past. Fond memories of flailing around like a deranged windmill and falling on my arse when we had those at the local hall.

Do they even have roller disco anymore?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chuck me in the You Could Be Mine club, i already liked GnR and owned Appetite for Destruction at a real young age on cassette (to this day im not actually sure how i had it, my parents certaily wern't fans), so a You Could Be Mine/Terminator combo was a no brainer. The song specifically reminds me of roller disco's, it takes me right back. Me and a few mates would request it every week (the roller disco DJ sadly passed away a month or so ago) and we'd skate like maniacs when it came on, all thoughts on self-preservation went down the shitter, we just went nuts. Great memories.

Fucking roller disco! That's a blast from the past. Fond memories of flailing around like a deranged windmill and falling on my arse when we had those at the local hall.

Not sure if they do this anywhere else, but a local high school does them here in Crewe. You can book them out for birthday parties and stuff hah.

Yes. There's one in Bath every week.

• Paid Members

Must be extra slippy for the participants.

Thumbs up.

Sad one from me, but during a time where I was feeling particularly shit — still living in London, personal life a mess, sleeping 3 hours average a night — I listened frequently to "Your Wish is My Command" by Bashy. I think the combination of the bad experience and the disquieting style of music means I can't listen to it to this day without becoming really miserable.

On a better front, "Ain't No Pleasing You" by Charles and David isn't just my favourite song, but it will always remind me of really carefree days being driven places by my mum, like down town to meet mates, or going on holiday.

• Paid Members

Yes. There's one in Bath every week.

I actually went to that a few times at Uni in Bath, didn't know it was still going.

Drinks at the Huntsman to numb my legs and arse, an hour of falling over and then back to the Huntsman to drink more in order to reduce the pain of said bruises on legs and arse. It was great!

• Paid Members

We did it at the local leisure center, it was never actually called roller disco as far as im away, we just called it skating but im assuming roller disco is the correct term for what it was.

• Paid Members

It's probably a hellish hipster-laden nightmare, but I really want to embrace my full Ron Jeremy and attend this. I would have to put in a few shifts relearning roller skating, though — it's so long since I skated that I've never actually worn a rollerblade (and I wouldn't start now — four wheels good).

• Paid Members

Appetite for Destruction is an incredible album. Even today, the fucking grooves in it are absolutely world class.

Anything Goes, Rocket Queen and It's So Easy...just, wow!

It's the best Branquey, I never listen to the shit I used to listen to 15 years ago but I've listened to Appetite at least once a week for fucking 25 years.

I'm sold. I always need a decent album to walk out the door of work on a Friday and I aint' listened to Appetite in donkeys years.

After She Bangs The Drums, of course. That's always gets played as I do the walk out the door on a Friday.

I lost count of how many times Ive listened to Rollins Band - Weight over the years. Must easily be into quadruple figures by now. I would listen to a few times a week through college and uni

Speaking of Uni, Miles Davis - Kind of Bluefrom when I was at Uni as it was something that my fuck buddy at the time would always put on. That or the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Theres a whole tonne of others but I'd be here for fecking ages if I was to write about them

• Awards Moderator

There've been a few, for various points in my life.

The songs that remind me of my family: there was the usual Zeppelin/Queen stuff, but the songs that stick out to me, and remind me vividly of long car journeys to family holidays, came from a multi-tape set called Sounds Of The Seventies. 'Block Buster' by Sweet, 'Oliver's Army' by Elvis Costello, 'Down Down' by Status Quo and 'Without You' by Harry Nilsson are the ones that most strongly evoke that time for me.

School friends: There's a couple from middle school that, if I hear them today, immediately take me back there. 'Hey Boy Hey Girl' by Chemical Brothers = year 7 and 8 French, and 'Frontier Psychiatrist' by the Avalanches = pissing about at break time.

The 'getting really into music' years: this is albums rather than songs, but there was a succession of albums that I'd listen to almost daily for months at a time from GCSEs through to the end of sixth form. 'Highly Evolved' by The Vines, 'The Datsuns' by The Datsuns (I've got my username for a reason!), 'Permission To Land' by The Darkness and 'Up The Bracket' by The Libertines. I can put any of those on now and instantly be cheered up because I can remember how damn much I loved those albums. I'd still put all four of them in my all-time favourites, and I'd probably throw in both Blues Brothers soundtracks as well (I'll defend Blues Brothers 2000 to the death for how good that soundtrack was).

And finally,

The Springsteen Section: 'Out In The Street' is my first choice go-to song if I'm feeling down. Instant cheering up. It was a crappy bootlegged version of the Hyde Park 2009 performance of that song, along with 'Because The Night' (crappy bootlegged version of the Old Trafford 2008 performance) that got me through a really hard summer of illness, grandparents passing away and my ex cheating on and then dumping me. 

On the flipside, 'Waiting On A Sunny Day' is the song I think of when I think of my girlfriend now, and it was at a Springsteen show in Sunderland in 2012, four years ago next month, about a verse into 'Hungry Heart', that I realised I was in love with her. So those two songs as well.

Good thread.

• Awards Moderator

The one that comes to mind is, predictably, The Beatles.

I used to go to visit my Nan every Saturday with my Mum. My Nan had terrible Athritis and some weeks she was mobile, others she wasn't. It was the toss of coin each week as to whether she could leave the house or not; if she could we'd take her to Tuebrook market but if not, my Mum would go on her own and I'd stay in the house with my Nan. One particular week in what I *think* was 1989, she wasn't too good so I stopped back with her whilst my Mum went to buy cheap pegs or something.

A ten year old and a seventy year old don't really have much to talk about so after about an hour of 'how's school?' and 'how did you get on at the bingo the other week?', the conversation was dry. All of a sudden, once we realised the telly was shite, she said she was going to put some music on. I wasn't arsed. I was ten. Anyway, she asked me to put a cassette of Help! in the tape player. It hadn't been rewound so as soon as I pressed the massive play button (with two hands), the intro to Ticket to Ride came on. It knocked me off my foot cushion and immediately I was hooked. She told me to take the tape home and I must've played it five times a day for weeks.

A few years later she told me she'd never forget my face when it first came on and I remember it like it was yesterday; the feeling it gave me is indescribable. I still have that cassette and within a couple of years I'd used my pocket money to buy the rest of the albums and not long after I did the same for the CDs.

To this day, I thank my Nan for introducing me to The Beatles and every time I hear Ticket to Ride I get goosebumps and see Betty's fantastic smile just watching me taking it in.

• Paid Members

That's an absolutely wonderful story Frankie.

In a somewhat similar fashion, I heard Tomorrow Never Knows for the first time on my grans record player when I was young and was astonished that it was recorded in the 60s. I was convinced it was a Chemical Brothers song because of the drum beat.

Gran is still going and still has one of the best record collections of anyone I know.

Archived