UFC 199: Rockhold vs Bisping 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just listened to Rogan and co have this exact discussion on the recent Fight Companion. They sort of made both points, in that clearly UFC would rather have Jacare in there, but Rogan said if Bisping keeps winning he'd surely eventually get a shot. Either way, he got his shot because he's luckily fit and is currently number 4 in the division.

The thing is, if Bisping had run into either of Jacare or Romero he's most likely not going to have kept on winning. 

He's getting his shot now though, which is all that matters, but I don't see it ending well at all.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't disagree David. As mentioned, Weidman/Rockhold/Jacare are as high level as a fighter gets, so Bisping's limitations will probably get exposed against such ridiculously elite athletes.

But he's still competitive with most of the other middleweights.

I don't disagree David. As mentioned, Weidman/Rockhold/Jacare are as high level as a fighter gets, so Bisping's limitations will probably get exposed against such ridiculously elite athletes.

You can throw Romero into that list as well.

• Paid Members

Basically, Bisping is the Hatton to Rockhold and Weidman's Mayweather and Pacquiao. A great fighter but he's got a ceiling to his skills where he'll always be below those top of the top, absolutely elite fighters.

No shame in that. I'm sure he'll be disappointed if he retires having never held UFC gold but, when it comes down to it, he's had a really good career. 10 years in the UFC and still competing at the highest level, that's quite remarkable. Especially despite all his setbacks. He was the poster boy for the UK MMA scene for years on end as well. Until Dan Hardy came around Bisping was flying the flag solo. And Hardy never had the longevity of Bisping. The UFC were always going to come to the UK but Bisping made it easier for them and no doubt sped up the process. Add to that his TUF win, his win over Anderson, and his 'unbeaten in the UK' record, he hasn't done bad at all, has he? Not bad for a bloke who used to be a door to door salesman and work in a slaughterhouse.

Basically, Bisping is the Hatton to Rockhold and Weidman's Mayweather and Pacquiao. A great fighter but he's got a ceiling to his skills where he'll always be below those top of the top, absolutely elite fighters.

It hasn't just been those fighters though, he's always fallen short of the elite of the division. Before Rockhold and Weidman it was Vitor, and Chael in that title eliminator. Before that it was wanderlei, and before that Hendo sparked him in another title eliminator.

He's always been just below the top three or so guys, which is why he never got that shot at Anderson in over eight years in the division.

Again, I hope he wins, or at least looks competitive, but I think at 37 and with the injuries he's had it's a tall ask.

I really am hoping mike pulls out the win, but like it's been said above his 10 years in the ufc has been so much fun.

He has pulled out some entertaining fights and some entertaining TUF seasons.

Him vs mayhem miller was probs one of my favourite seasons of the ultimate fighter. 

Banter, brutal fights and some rebels in the house aswell

Bisping's major problem has always been the lack of a serious weapon. He's strong all around, but doesn't possess KO power, elite wrestling, Jiu Jitsui etc. 

I always felt his GnP was underrated. He could be relentless on top of opponents when he smelt blood.

I agree though. Jack of all trades, master of none. 

• Paid Members

Bisping's major problem has always been the lack of a serious weapon. He's strong all around, but doesn't possess KO power, elite wrestling, Jiu Jitsui etc. 

I always felt his GnP was underrated. He could be relentless on top of opponents when he smelt blood.

I agree though. Jack of all trades, master of none. 

Good point Jim. I agree with you, if Bisping can get into top position he can be vicious. 

• Paid Members

Michael Bisping, Hall of Famer?

Even if he loses to Rockhold does his career warrant a place? If the UFC honoured Griffin & Bonnar for their TUF exploits (granted Griffin won the belt) does Bisping deserve a similar accolade?

Even if he loses to Rockhold does his career warrant a place? If the UFC honoured Griffin & Bonnar for their TUF exploits (granted Griffin won the belt) does Bisping deserve a similar accolade?

Yes.

- First big international star

- Mainstay on TUF during its peak

- While not an elite fighter, one that skirted around the top 5 for an extended amount of time.

- Victory over Anderson Silva

• Paid Members

If the UFC honoured Griffin & Bonnar for their TUF exploits (granted Griffin won the belt) does Bisping deserve a similar accolade?

They split it into 4 categories though & moved Griffin & Bonnar to the Fight Wing.

Modern Era Wing

Pioneers Era Wing

Contributors Wing

Fight Wing

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/5/8554521/ufc-revamping-hall-of-fame-planning-to-build-a-physical-location

So it's not like Bonnar is a Hall of Famer as a fighter - he's in because of an important fight.

Archived