UFC 199: Rockhold vs Bisping 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Again, for me these new guys aren't bringing the sport to new levels unless they're at least going some way to replicating the success of the guys they're claiming to overshadow.

Guys like Jones and Johnson can make that claim, but Rockhold? He's got a bit to go before he can even mention himself in the same sentence as the likes of Anderson.

A comparison that I can make is with footballers. You look at players like Pele, Maradona etc as the greatest ever, but technically the game has evolved and despite never winning a world cup and doing less for the sport in terms of making it bigger, Lionel Messi or Ronaldo are technically beyond anything those guys could do. It's the evolution of the sport.

I'm sure that's what Rockhold meant as well when he refers to being on his level. He knows he's achieved far less than Anderson Silva in the sport at this stage in his career, but in terms of skill levels now, he believes (as do I) that he's far more advanced than Anderson Silva has ever been as a mixed martial artist.

I completely take on board what you're saying though believing that part of reaching a level is to be able to say you've dominated your division, which is why I said there's certainly a debate to be had.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm not so sure that the Luke Rockhold of today walks through the Anderson Silva who smashed Rich Franklin, choked Dan Henderson and went all Matrix-esque on Forrest Griffin.

You could well be right as let's be honest, it can't be proved one way or another. I just think Rockhold has been one of the few new breed of fighters who has been able to develop into something that we've never seen until that past few years. 

The athleticism of the guy for starters is something truly spectacular, and with this atheltic base he's been able to develop his skills and turn into an extraordinary fighter. 

That said, I do think his size does give him a huge advantage, but there's just something unique I find about the guy. I look at Rockhold and I don't see a single weakness in his game. I can't say the same with Anderson and not many fighters for that matter.

Watch him now go and get beat on Saturday  :laugh:

• Paid Members

Time will tell. Before Silva got caught doing PEDs most were calling him the best of all time. In that regard, aye Rockhold has got a ways to go before he's getting those kind of superlatives thrown at him.

However, Rockhold is prettier. Even David agrees.

• Paid Members

Time will tell. Before Silva got caught doing PEDs most were calling him the best of all time. In that regard, aye Rockhold has got a ways to go before he's getting those kind of superlatives thrown at him.

However, Rockhold is prettier. Even David agrees.

Fuck, I would probably divorce my wife for the guy. 

• Paid Members

Ha.

Every truly GOAT fighter needs prove themselves the best by rising above the rest and having a run. Rockhold's team mate, Velasquez, had managed to become such a monster that he beat the career out of his supposed equal in two uncomfortable and unrelenting maulings.

Like GSP before him, losing can happen to any great, but it's the domination and improvement after that which defined their legacy. If Rockhold can get past Weidman, Jacare and Romero, then you've got to be having the discussion of him being a GOAT fighter.

I'm not so sure that the Luke Rockhold of today walks through the Anderson Silva who smashed Rich Franklin, choked Dan Henderson and went all Matrix-esque on Forrest Griffin.

The full quote is - "Anderson Silva isn't on my level, he never was"

The reason why it raised my eyebrows is for the reasons David mentioned above. Also, while they were discussing Bisping's fight with Anderson, the comments from Rockhold were hardly provoked. He could have easily passed comment without making such a claim about Anderson. 

I'm not slating Rockhold. He's certainly got us all talking, and you could never claim that he is a dullard.. But his comment was questionable to say the least.

Yep, the press conference is worth a watch.

Rockhold is so smug it's untrue, a face you would just love to punch.

I've always liked Bisping and would like nothing more than to see him become champion at the expense of Rockhold but I just can't see it happening.

• Paid Members

I don't believe in fate. I don't believe in destiny. But Rockhold admitting at the press conference that he has a torn MCL, hasn't done any grappling this whole camp and only started kicking last week? The circumstances couldn't be better for an upset! If Michael Bisping wins this belt it'll easily be the best story of the year.

First show since 196 I'll be staying up live to watch it. I'm super invested in both the main event and the co-main event. I can't wait!

• Paid Members

What's the crack with that then? Rockhold admits publicly at a press conference that he's got a torn MCL but the UFC are letting him fight anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to cancel the fight and if this improves Bisping's chances then great. But it's a bit weird that Rockhold would make that public now. Usually fighters wait until after the fight to disclose an injury like that.

Didn't he beat Weidman last time round with some form of significant injury?

Also if Bisping wins I want a McGregor/Bisping double title defense show over here in Wembley Stadium.

• Paid Members

What's the crack with that then? Rockhold admits publicly at a press conference that he's got a torn MCL but the UFC are letting him fight anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to cancel the fight and if this improves Bisping's chances then great. But it's a bit weird that Rockhold would make that public now. Usually fighters wait until after the fight to disclose an injury like that.

Isn't it something like as far as it's disclosed then it's fine? Remember the stuff with Pacquiao after the Mayweather fight regarding the soldier injury? The reason why it was a major problem was because he never disclosed it beforehand, not the fact that he fought injured. 

I remember reading it impacts loads of things including the betting lines in Vegas etc.

Archived