The Kickboxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Egg Shen changed the title to Glory Kickboxing Thread
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

After the Rico/Overeem announcement last week, nice to see that Glory is back this weekend. Shows seem few and far between these days but this thing is loaded up with heavyweights including Badr Hari so it should be good, and i miss watching Glory.

The show is a PPV only through the Glory website for £18 which is expensive and a bit shit but im hoping to find it via other means. The Superfight prelim portion is free on youtube.

GLORY_78_70_.thumb.jpg.5747c4c70629bfbabab3d80da1400fa3.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-195158_Instagram.jpg.2f28fbd54c81fa1d228f4207abe31189.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Yeh, saw that. Though i wasnt giving Overeem much of a chance i was looking forward to that.

Gokhan Saki returns to Glory in the co-main, he fights UKFF favorite James McSweeney!

Im determined to watch this show though, ive planned on watching a couple of shows but i never get around to it. Im prioritising this.

• 2 weeks later...

The Badr fight from the last show was insane. Four body shot knock downs by Badr in a round and a half, then going in for the kill he gets KO'd by a kick to the head. Badr is never in a boring fight.

I watched Rico's last fight, and hes an animal. 6'5 and 265 of muscle. Hes essentially Overeem from his K1 days. You have to be happy for Overeem that this fight didnt go ahead, as it surely would have been a masacre. For years on end during Reems' fights, youd be on the edge all the time because of his frail chin, so this fight would have been a disater on the Bigfoot Silva level had it gone ahead.

I remember that show having no fans, no commentary, and no corners mic'd up, and it was actually a pretty good viewing experience to be able to hear every punch and grunt by the fighters. You could really hear the effort and force they were throwing, which is usually lost in the crowd noise and commentary.

Rico/Saddik was insanity. I highly recommend everyone to watch it, as its probably my favourate fight of the year. Rico standing there, with a massive fresh cut under his eye, pouring blood, after he was just dropped, was something youd see in a Rocky movie. Crazy. Rico's eye swelling horribly, and almost getting finished, to surviving the onslaught, to finishing Saddik, who gassed himself completley trying to finish the fight, was text book movie stuff. Even something like Saddik slumping on the ropes at the end of R3 was like a movie. Watch this fight!

Badr on commentary in the main event was great too. If youve ever wondered what Mousassi would be like on commentary, then this is as close to it as youll get, As the camera shows the gaping wound on Saddiks shin, which looks like hes been hit with an axe, Badr casually says "This is nothing, they should just close it" 😄

McSweeny is only 40, but looks like hes well into his 50's. Man must have had a hard life. He was clearly outclassed, and his leg looked nasty at the end. I assume he hasnt been able to walk since this fight.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I know I’m ridiculously late to this but finally just got around to watching that Rico Verhoeven vs Jamal Ben Saddik fight from October. Fuck. Me. I heard good things about it at the time but just never got around to watching it and I’d already seen the result. Family stuff, work and the non-stop schedule of Boxing and MMA meant I just never got to it. Sadly, my Kickboxing watching has fallen off a cliff over the last couple of years, which is a shame really because Kickboxing was kind of my first love when it comes to combat sports. Anyway, being off work over Christmas and the break in Boxing/MMA has allowed me to catch up on a few bits and pieces. Two months late but I’m glad I watched this one. @Dai has summed it up perfectly already, I can’t really add any more. If you didn’t see it though, and you’ve got some spare time this New Year’s Eve, there are worse ways to spend half an hour. Full thing’s on Glory’s YouTube; 

I really need to get back on Glory next year. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 4 weeks later...