The Kickboxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I love how regular these GLORY shows are. Did you watch 48, Egg? Thiago Silva actually didn't look too bad. Didn't look great but he did OK. Still a Dynamite Kid looking cunt though. Main event was dramatic as well. 

Really looking forward to tonight's show. Only problem is it clashes with both Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux and Swanson vs Ortega. Which are two of my most anticipated fights of the year. I don't remember another single night in combat sports history that had 3 fights of this quality all on the same night in 3 different sports - Boxing, MMA and Kickboxing. 

I don't want to clogg up the Bellator thread but what is the point in Bellator Kickboxing? The ratings are terrible, they never run live and basically use it as an excuse to co-promote in Europe. They could take some fighters and just make the rest free agents and run places in Europe where MMA is actually popular.

They dropped Glory for their ratings, which probably means Fight Pass is willing to pay more than Spike TV.

• Paid Members

Not really sure, but as you mentioned it might have something to do with co-promoting on the European shows, last nights show in Italy was an MMA/Kickboxing combo. If you didnt go looking for it though its almost like the kickboxing portion of the events don't exist. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Managed to avoid the results of the Redemption PPV and watched it this evening. The undercard was good but felt a little flat due to a huge crowd clearly waiting for the main event, two massive KO's there though. The actual main event itself of Rico/Saddik was outstanding though! amongst the best fights i saw all last year from any combat sport, just a rough, crazy battle between 2 distinct styles, the red hot atmosphere added that little something extra on top that these big fights need.

Despite the billing of the fight and the sell job from Glory, i think the fight was expected to be a bit of a cake walk for Rico. Saddik came out like a man possessed in round 1 though. Rico found his groove from round 2 but Saddik was robbed of a knockdown in round 3. If that had counted it would have been even going into round 5 on my card...judges not needed though. That finish from Rico was fucking brutal. The referee should never have allowed Saddik to continue after the standing 8 count, the big crazy bastard was still swinging at the time of getting dropped though. The finish has shades of Ray Mercer/Tommy Morrison about it, just brutal.

Glory is the bollocks.

anp-54724693.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop

that about sums it up.

• Paid Members

The result of the main event was spoiled for me, so I've yet to bother watching the full card. However, I've seen the finish and it solidified my opinion Rico Verhoeven is quite possibly the most terrifying combat sports athlete about. A horrifying blend of technique and power.

• Paid Members

he's class, but Redemption showed more vunerability in him thats been seen in years. With Badr Hari coming back they'll probably look at doing Rico/Badr II for December next year.

Rico even suggested a cross over fight with Stipe Miocic, dont ever see that coming to fruition though.

• Paid Members

We'll see. We've seen a lot of other champions go the other way, once it gets a bit much being chased. I just think some were perhaps underrating Jamal, but even an off Rico got it done in the end.

Rico v the winner of Stipe/Francis is the true battle for "baddest man on the planet", IMO. Obviously, if Rico doesn't bother his arse learning TK defence, then Stipe will wrestlefuck him and probably tap him out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

msINdY1.jpg

Anyone gonna give Collision 2 a go? i havent watched a Glory show in 18 months or so, a poor effort from myself. If theres a show to get back on the train though, this is it surely? Rico/Badr seems to be the only fight kickboxing has that really crosses over from its own niche little market. Looking forward to it.

• Paid Members

oooh, i think it is on Fight Pass wand.

http://www.glorykickboxing.com/events/collision-2:fc4606e8-b8f4-4d69-ba26-1e885725fc2a

Theres the card ^ but if you click on the 'How to Watch' link each country is listed and some say 'Fight Pass PPV', but UK is listed as standard Fight Pass.

Hmmm, tempted to watch it live now. Its either that or the Dubois card on BT.

Edited by Egg Shen