Eurovision 2016 - Stockholm Syndrome

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

It's the most wonderful time of the year~!

So, after Mans was victorious with "Heroes" Sweden have effectively broken the competition.  Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that, everyone and their cat is using projection technology in their videos.  (I'm keeping spoiler free on the stage performances).

BBC 4 is now the home of the semi-finals due to BBC Three not being broadcast and there's new voting and everything.

In latter years the jury and televoting provided a combined score, so both the jury and the public had to rate a song highly for it to get high marks from a country.  This year the "Hello Stockholm..." voting will only be announcing the jury scores for each country.  Then once the juries are done the public votes will be added.  This will leave the result hanging to the last minute = tension~!  This will also mean that the winner this year (should) have the highest score ever due to getting two sets of points.

Semi-Final 1: 8pm Tuesday 10th May

Semi-Final 1 Snippets

Lots of similar sounding songs this year (it's just too commercial, man).  SF1 does boast some highlights:

The Netherlands with a Mumford and Sonsy number.

If you only watch one video, watch San Marino.  Creepy-uncle Lou Bega style.

Bookies' favourite Russia with a projection video (yawn).  The Czech Republic use some background interaction in theirs too.

Austria singing in French bring back teenage JB memories of Vanessa Paradis <3  (France are singing 50/50 in English this year).

Perennial performers Azerbaijan have another crack.

Bosnia and Herzegovina are being represented by one of those iron-filing magnet beard man toys.

Malta are running at about 5th favourite at the minute.  I absolutely love this and would bung 50p e/w on it.  (Stunning ladies with catchy dance tunes have a reasonable success rate too).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How will the public vote being added afterwards work - will it be announced that Belgium gave 12 points to whoever and Sweden gave whatever to whoever or is everyone's votes all being added in one anonymous bulk amount which could completely change the order in one blast? I like the idea of the jury and public votes counting separately but it'd be nice to see who voted which way.

• Paid Members

How will the public vote being added afterwards work - will it be announced that Belgium gave 12 points to whoever and Sweden gave whatever to whoever or is everyone's votes all being added in one anonymous bulk amount which could completely change the order in one blast? I like the idea of the jury and public votes counting separately but it'd be nice to see who voted which way.

The full breakdown of the votes are always announced afterwards. However, it's my understanding that the combined public votes will be announced as one chunk on the night.

Ah, the bbc says -

Now after the jury votes have been counted, the televoting points from all participating countries will be combined, providing one score for each country. These televoting results will then be announced, starting with the country receiving the fewest points from the public and ending with the country that received the highest number of points.

So at least it won't just be one huge mass of numbers thrown on the screen like they do with points 1 - 5 now there are so many countries, there will be an announcement of "these guys got this many public points these guys get this many" so the suspense and drama continues instead of just "boom, these guys are top now, bye"

I think I like it

Had a little listen to some of the songs this year earlier and I think Sweden will win again, young lad who walked their selection process called Franz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpHu3MRdvQ

Apparently our song went down incredibly well in rehersals with the press guys and reviewers/bloggers. Joe and Jake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VvsLEd1TI

Archived