Where are they now?

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

TJ Grant's a great shout for this thread. Really is a shame how things turned out for him. I don't mean to be all 'I called it first' but Grant was someone I was singing the praises of for fucking years. He has some really good fights in the undercards over the years that might've went under peoples radar - vs Hendricks, Chonan, Dunham and others. I get a load of shit wrong but I always rated TJ Grant and Rafael Dos Anjos. Even way back when they were just plugging away on the prelims and kind of treading water, I always thought those two were better than where they were on the card. RDA went on to surpass even my expectations. And Grant was on his way to something similar, I think, before his concussion problems. Like Robbie Lawler, Grant was combining coming into the form of his career with a wise change in weight classes at the same time and it seemed to be doing him wonders. Looking back, Bendo was heading for a bit of a dip in form around then as well, so Grant might've upset him. I wouldn't have favoured him against Pettis in 2013/14 but you never know. Grant was an animal at that time.

I think Miletich was someone who got a bit more interesting to watch the more he fought.  The early days of his UFC career is filled with complete stinkers like the Burnett fight, one against Jorge Patino that is even worse and there's another against Townsend Saunders that is equally as bad.  I enjoyed his fight against Perderneiros, the Alessio one had a real good finish to it and he looked great against Yamamoto.  I've never seen the Newton fight but would've thought the Ronin would be able to drag something more than watchable out of him.

Yeah, the finish is what I remember most but I think Newton vs Miletich was a good fight aside from that.

I can't remember if I've seen Miletich vs Pederneiras but I might actually give that a watch later. Just on the basis of it being a bit of a novelty seeing two future top MMA coaches squaring off back in their fighting days. In a similar vein, the Matt Hume vs Erik Paulson fight from one of the old Battlecade Extreme Fighting shows is an old favourite of mine. Think I was originally recommended that fight by you or Ebb on here years ago.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TJ Grant's a great shout for this thread. Really is a shame how things turned out for him. I don't mean to be all 'I called it first' but Grant was someone I was singing the praises of for fucking years. He has some really good fights in the undercards over the years that might've went under peoples radar - vs Hendricks, Chonan, Dunham and others. I get a load of shit wrong but I always rated TJ Grant and Rafael Dos Anjos. Even way back when they were just plugging away on the prelims and kind of treading water, I always thought those two were better than where they were on the card. RDA went on to surpass even my expectations. And Grant was on his way to something similar, I think, before his concussion problems. Like Robbie Lawler, Grant was combining coming into the form of his career with a wise change in weight classes at the same time and it seemed to be doing him wonders. Looking back, Bendo was heading for a bit of a dip in form around then as well, so Grant might've upset him. I wouldn't have favoured him against Pettis in 2013/14 but you never know. Grant was an animal at that time.

I think Miletich was someone who got a bit more interesting to watch the more he fought.  The early days of his UFC career is filled with complete stinkers like the Burnett fight, one against Jorge Patino that is even worse and there's another against Townsend Saunders that is equally as bad.  I enjoyed his fight against Perderneiros, the Alessio one had a real good finish to it and he looked great against Yamamoto.  I've never seen the Newton fight but would've thought the Ronin would be able to drag something more than watchable out of him.

Yeah, the finish is what I remember most but I think Newton vs Miletich was a good fight aside from that.

I can't remember if I've seen Miletich vs Pederneiras but I might actually give that a watch later. Just on the basis of it being a bit of a novelty seeing two future top MMA coaches squaring off back in their fighting days. In a similar vein, the Matt Hume vs Erik Paulson fight from one of the old Battlecade Extreme Fighting shows is an old favourite of mine. Think I was originally recommended that fight by you or Ebb on here years ago.

It was probably Ebb as I've not seen that one.  UFC 21 was a card that I really enjoyed when I watched it.  As well as the Miletich fight you've got a very good fight between Royce Alger and Eugene Jackson, a good fight between Tim Laijcik and Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, a slugfest between Ron Waterman and Andre Roberts and Jeremy Horn putting a beating on some Japanese lad that really shouldn't have been in the cage against him due to the size difference.  The only thing that sucked on that card was the Maurice Smith vs Marco Ruas main event. 

• Paid Members

Mikey Burnett was in the first UFC game which I always remembered him from and I was actually happy to see him turn up in TUF. Looking back at the roster on that game now it seems so odd he he chosen to be included and seems almost a given that the roster must have been confirmed around the time of the Miletich fight.

Also he looked like a harder, funnier version of Andy Parsons from Mock The Week.

• Paid Members

Ha, he did look like Andy Parsons! That's all I'm going to see now whenever I look at either of them.

Was that UFC game Sudden Impact or was that the second one? I remember nearly making my brother have a breakdown because I kept knocking him out from a punch from my back on that game. He was proper ranting about it being unrealistic and got all arsey about it. I used to play as Shonie Carter a lot on that game as well because he could do spinning shit.

• Paid Members

It was the very first one which I think was just called UFC. I had it on dreamcast and my friend nearly punched me in the face after I beat him about 30 times in a row with a takedown and a Kimora. Either that or a Maurice Smith high kick. You could play as Bruce Buffer as well!

It was the very first one which I think was just called UFC. I had it on dreamcast and my friend nearly punched me in the face after I beat him about 30 times in a row with a takedown and a Kimora. Either that or a Maurice Smith high kick. You could play as Bruce Buffer as well!

Loved that game on Dreamcast. Me and my mates had a ban on Tito Ortiz. He was so over powered it was insane. He was like a cross between a prime Mike Tyson and the Incredible Hulk. Its like the makers just went fuck it he is the big star just put all his stats at 10.

The game was my introduction to the UFC and I was disappointed when I eventually saw how the real Tito fought.

• Paid Members

TJ Grant is a real sad case, he was on fire before he had to step away, fans were really starting to take notice too.

The game was my introduction to the UFC and I was disappointed when I eventually saw how the real Tito fought.

i was similar with Ortiz. I obviously heard about him before i saw him actually fought, and just hearing he was the best fighter in the UFC i really expected him to come in and just crush people with his hands, his ground and pound heavy approach was a bit of an eye opener at the time. Tito had a few real duds back in the day, if he didn't have the charisma and personality to make fans take notice of him i'm not quite sure how things would have panned out for the UFC.

• Paid Members

It's all gone very quiet on the Punk front, hasn't it? Last I heard of him was when Mickey Gall won a fight and was announced as Punk's opponent, Punk was at the show and seemed in great spirits for a grumpy shit.

Then within days it was announced that Punk needed back surgery and his fight would be delayed. Don't know why he was lifting up grown men when he needed back surgery but...

5WpH2.jpg

Maybe he tore every muscle in his back lifting up Ariel The Giant.

It just seems like he's never going to be ready to fight. When you read between the lines of anything reported about his training at Roufusport, it sounds like he's not progressing anything like they'd hoped. Sure someone on here posted that he'd had 15 'test fights' in the gym and lost 14 or something mad. Don't know if there's any truth to that but if there is, fucking hell.

• Paid Members

The Punk thing is still utterly baffling to me. I know he's an egomaniac by all accounts, but how he ever thought this was a good idea at any point is so ridiculous. Is he hoping for a bargaining chip with Vince where he swans back in calling the shots ala Brock?

After the circus of it up to this point, I'm pretty sure the injuries, real or otherwise will be stacking up over the next few months, culminating in him just bowing out because his body can't take it even though his heart wants to. I'm hoping we get some Gorilla Monsoon-esque gems like a torn External Occipita lPprotuberance and an ruptured Latissimus Dorsi... It's been such a fucking farce, I wouldn't put it past him.

It's probably better for him long term than getting stopped by Mickey Gall in 60 seconds.

Archived