UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The thing is with Overeem he should tear through everyone, and I'm pretty confident he will. But I just still worry about his chin. All it takes is to land one big shot.

I think only a fully fit Cain can beat Overeem at the moment.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You do have decent point lamby, this is MMA, so anybody can get tagged. However, the trick with Overeem is he makes sure nobody has a chance to test that chin of his, which is why he's running through the division. 2016 Overeem isn't charging at Stipe like Werdum did, he's far too savvy for that now. He's not interested in exchanging, he's in then out.

JDS tried a similar approach in his last fight and it's the best he's looked in years.

• Paid Members

Agreed.

The thing is with Overeem's UFC run he really could have easily been unbeaten. Against Big foot he was absolutely destroying him and just gassed, and with Browne he was so near to finishing him it was a miracle Browne survived. I can't remember the Rothwell fight unfortuantely, but christ, he should never be beaten by Ben Rothwell.

It's crazy that he's become a better fighter since coming off whatever he was on and dropping 20 llbs. He's moving so much better.

• Paid Members

He's just much smarter now. Glass chin? Cool, you're not hitting me, anyway. Suspect cardio? Whatevs, I'll just pick my shots more carefully and fight a better pace.

Clearly the change in camps has done wonders for him.

Watch him get clipped by Stipe in 30 seconds now!

• Paid Members

Overeem is a strange one. 3 years ago he looked like shit riding a 2 fight losing skid, had seemingly been ducking and dodging JDS for what felt like 2 years. I was very much convinced at that point that Overeem was actually scared of Junior and when they did meet, Overeem was going to get lit the fuck up.

tumblr_nzn0jcFvH11upwz95o2_400.gif

:blink:

Obviously, the wars with Cain and Hunt have done no favours for JDS, but Overeem does really look like a new fighter. And a much smarter one at that. Fair play to him and Jacksons.

• Paid Members

Not a lot has been said of Lil Nog's quality win on the undercard. Surely its the perfect chance for Nog to walk away, big KO win in front of his home fans, it dont get much sweeter than that. Everyone said the same about Big Nog's KO of Schaub in Brazil, yet he went to lost 4 of his next 5 fights. There's something about them old schools fighters that wont allow them to go out on a high.

• Paid Members

Overeem's gonna win this and go on a bit of a run IMO to. He know's how to handle people charging him trying to land big shots, ala his last fight, similar to what Anderson Silva was very successful with. He also seemed the most technical of the heavyweights I've seen recently.

Nah. If Overeem wins the belt, Cain is taking back off him.

Not a lot has been said of Lil Nog's quality win on the undercard. Surely its the perfect chance for Nog to walk away, big KO win in front of his home fans, it dont get much sweeter than that. Everyone said the same about Big Nog's KO of Schaub in Brazil, yet he went to lost 4 of his next 5 fights. There's something about them old schools fighters that wont allow them to go out on a high.

Big Nog had two ideal opportunities to walk away. The mentioned Schaub fight, and the win over Dave Herman. Both were decent wins in front of rabid Brazilian audiences. I didn't see Lil Nog's win, but I agree, it's probably best if he walks away now. 

Nah. If Overeem wins the belt, Cain is taking back off him.

I think we'll get a lot of caretaker reigns at Heavyweight. There's no one who stands out above the rest, and few new prospects on the horizon. Cain is too injury prone to be dominant, Werdum has shown frailties, even before the Miocic fight (Browne had him in trouble a few fights ago), Miocic doesn't strike fear into the division, and a lot of others are over the hill.

Even if Overeem wins the belt - there will always be the chance that someone can clip him. The loses to Rothwell, Browne and Big Foot have tarnished his aura for good, even if he has improved recently. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it's always been the same really. Look at K-1's old Heavyweight Grand Prix tournaments from the 90s golden era. It was basically just a round robin of Peter Aerts, Jerome Le Banner and Ernesto Hoost taking turns knocking each other out for fun. Boxing as well in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Aside from Ali and Tyson, it was chaos really, wasn't it. Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Holmes, Shavers, Lyle then later Holyfield, Bowe just whacking lumps out of each other.

Yeah it's always been the same really.

The exception being the mid 00's. Around 2003-2006

While there was the odd upset - like Randleman over Cro Cop - there was a set-order in the division that was rarely disturbed. Fedor was clearly the top dog, with Cro Cop and Nog as top contenders. Nog never lost to anyone other than Fedor and later on Barnett. Whereas Cro Cop only lost to Fedor, Nog, Hunt and the previously mentioned Randleman during this period. That may seem like a lot, but Cro Cop fought a heck of a lot during that period, and most of his fights played out as expected.

The vast majority of fights elsewhere played out as expected. For example, back then it was expected that Nog would beat Werdum and Sergei, and he did. Likewise, that Sergei would beat Werdum and so on.

Archived