UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Cyborg looked like a raisin on legs. Proper sucked in.

6sX8w.jpg

It'd do nothing good for women's MMA but I'd love to see Smith pull off the upset here. She won't, but I'd love to see it. I don't even dislike Cyborg, I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of hers but I've got nothing against her. But it'd be one of those real holy shit moments if, after all these years, Cyborg finally makes her UFC debut and Leslie Smith spoils the party.

I'm good with a Cyborg showcase though. I don't want to see Smith get destroyed so hopefully it's over quick, but an impressive Cyborg win her opens up possibilities for some great fights with the bigger names. They'll just have to agree on the weight.

Why are Brazilians so shite at cutting weight? In some cases it's probably just a case of them competing in the wrong weight class but there could be an issue simply with their methods of cutting as well. If you look at the fighters who are known to be notoriously bad at making weight over the years, a staggering amount of them are Brazilian. Only Rumble springs to mind really as a non-Brazilian who really sucked at it. The rest who have had serious issues - Barao, Cyborg, Aldo and Gadelha (to a lesser degree), Lineker, Ronny Markes and in the past Vitor Belfort and Thiago Alves - all Brazilian. The Nova Uniao camp in particular have a pretty shocking track record of guys missing weight, coming in drained and, in one case, dying from a bad weight cut.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Has Aldo ever missed weight?

No but he's had a lot of shitty cuts over the years. He hasn't seemed as bad for it over the last couple of years but he's definitely had issues with it before. I remember the Hominick fight in particular being one where he said he completely fucked up his cut and he was so bollocksed by fight week that he couldn't even sit on the stage in a suit for that Super 7 thing with all the champions, and had to leave early. It's also probably part of the reason he has faded in the later rounds of some of his fights (Hominick/Lamas spring to mind).

It's why when they were talking about doing that Aldo vs Pettis superfight a few years ago, I wanted them to do it at 155. I still think that as awesome as Aldo is, he'd be even better at 155. He wouldn't be the biggest lightweight but a Jose Aldo with more energy and with how fast he is, I think he'd give a lot of 155ers fits. Who knows, it could even mean he picks up less injuries if he's not cutting as much while in camp.

• Paid Members

The face can fuck off.

prepare for your worst nightmare.

I just watched Embedded and apparently Werdum is planning on having everyone wear a 'Happy Face' mask during the walkouts, 45,000 of the fuckers.

Has Vitor ever struggled ? I honestly can't remember, I know he's fought a few catch-weight fights but one was a growing Overeem in Strike force, 197 when Anthony Johnson couldn't make weight and Rich Franklin at "Franklin weight" 195. As Rich has fought at that weight a few times

Not American but Paul Daley has missed weight in some of the smaller shows and I think once in Strikeforce or Elite XC and he's not exactly a giant Welterweight.

I think it's a wrestling thing, they pick it up in highschool, so they are used to cutting weight a lot

• Paid Members

Has Vitor ever struggled ? I honestly can't remember, I know he's fought a few catch-weight fights but one was a growing Overeem in Strike force, 197 when Anthony Johnson couldn't make weight and Rich Franklin at "Franklin weight" 195. As Rich has fought at that weight a few times

He was never as bad as say Lineker or Rumble but he definitely had some crappy cuts. I remember there was a video blog for that Rumble fight which showed Vitor during his cut and he was suffering. I know weight cutting is never an enjoyable experience but it was one of those times where I vividly remember thinking 'Christ, cutting weight is fucking stupid'. He looked fucked backstage, sitting there lifeless and sucking ice cubes.

And here's a Mike Dolce quote on the Franklin fight;

Dolce: I’ve worked with him since December 2010. He had fought at middleweight, but he brought me in after he had trouble making a 195-pound catchweight fight against Rich Franklin. I think he (Vitor) actually missed weight the first time he tried to make 195. So Vitor brought me in for his middleweight title fight against Anderson Silva.

So he struggled making 195 for that fight, let alone 185 he usually competed at.

He's never been known really as a bad weight cutter because there's a lot worse. But he's definitely had some issues there in the past. In fairness he seemed to correct a lot of that though once he brought in Dolce and joined the Blackzilians.

• Paid Members

i recall one of the Dana White fight vlog's (they need them back) from before the fight with Rumble Johnson where Dana informs Vitor that Rumble is going to badly miss weight, it's a good little insight to what kind of shit goes on behind the scenes when that kind of thing happens, you see how Vitor is when in full weight-cut mode.

got tagged in this on facebook yesterday though, brilliant...

13230334_10154213835819345_8114323082894

The face can fuck off.

prepare for your worst nightmare.

I just watched Embedded and apparently Werdum is planning on having everyone wear a 'Happy Face' mask during the walkouts, 45,000 of the fuckers.

The face masks have been banned from the stadium thankfully

Werdum didn't show Miocic the proper respect there, and paid the price. He showed far too much ambition lunging in like that. Credit to Miocic for taking advantage. I suspect the Heavyweight title is going to be a revolving door for a while. 

Also, was it just me, or was Jacare much more popular than Belfort? The crowd cheered pretty loudly when Jacare scored the stoppage. Cyborg looked like a million bucks.

• Paid Members

Werdum was abysmal. Utterly abysmal. Looked out of shape too and slow as fuck. He's was rightfully dropped. God Miocic is bland.

I'm pretty confident Overeem wrecks him.

In relation to what Jim said above regarding Jacare being more popular than Belfort, I'm guessing Belfort's TRT abuse has turned some against him,and maybe because he lives in Florida they feel he's abandoned them? Who knows, but he was battered.

Cyborg looked scary as fuck. Leslie Smith should be thanking the ref for the slightly early stoppage, it saved her being heavily punished.

Maia in this form is scarily good. I'm not sure any welterweight can stop him if he sticks to this game plan?

Archived