UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's frustrating, because I don't give 2 shits about Miocic... but sometimes you just root against a guy you don't like, no matter their opponent. I always root against BJ Penn, Rampage, and JDS for example.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It is a problem. Do you root for the annoying face or perhaps the blandest heavyweight fighter in the division?

In fact I've changed my stance, as long as one of them is KO'd I will be happy. Overeem will blast both anyway. 

• Paid Members

I'm with Mike 100%. So what he does a silly face? Werdum is brilliant. Way more likeable than Miocic, Velasquez and especially Overeem. The only times I've ever rooted against him were when he fought Nog and Hunt, who are basically my heavyweight Wandy and Shogun.

You know why I don't like it Wand, it's because this is the UFC Heavyweight Champ. Traditionally when you see the heavyweight champ you say that that's the baddest man on the planet. When Werdum does that face it almost feels like he's taking the piss looking like a goofy turd. I just don't buy him as a badass when I know I should. He even does it during his weigh ins. I know it seems a bit OTT. but fuck that face.

What's to buy, Chops? The guy is a bad-ass - this isn't pro-wrestling. Werdum is potentially on course to become the best HW of all time, having beaten both Fedor and Velasquez during runs when everyone thought they were invincible. I don't mind him being goofy, because he also comes across as a really nice guy. Given we've had so many dickhead talents as champ recently, e.g. Jones, Rousey, Rockhold, it makes a nice change for one of the best on the planet to actually be likeable.

I don't necessarily think Overeem wins the rubber match, either. Werdum's got a better all-round game. That said, who knows? Overeem's finally got it into his head that he needs to be more cautious, and it's improved his game immensely, so either way it should make for an explosive match.

• Paid Members

It is a problem. Do you root for the annoying face or perhaps the blandest heavyweight fighter in the division?

I just want to see a good fight. I dislike Werdum - I can't say hate though. Although if Werdum wins, it could mean a Cain or Overeem rematch, which I'd like to see - so a Werdum win does set up better options.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see Werdum school Overeem (and I don't hate Overeem at all). I feel like Werdum has been absolutely outstanding & not getting the love he should be, especially after finishing both Cain & Hunt, how many people get a KO win over Hunt?

Herbie doesn't like JDS? That's like saying you don't like birthdays or cake. He's one of the most likeable blokes in the game.

• Paid Members

Admittedly I agree with you Catbomb (sorry old habits). I know I should feel exactly as you say, and you're without question he's on his way to becoming the greatest of all time. However, that still doesn't mean what I prefer to see as a heavyweight monster. I've been brought up on your heavyweight beasts, in both boxing and MMA, and all my favourites in the past have terrified me at the same time.

This isn't a knock on the guy's talent, he just has that shit face.

Regarding the Overeem fight, I think he wins because his stand up is just too good for Werdum, despite his vast improvements. Plus Overeem is a beast on the ground and I think he can defend against Werdum's top class game.

• Paid Members

Y'know that shooting that happened recently? That was herbie when someone bought him a cake for his birthday.

Admittedly I agree with you Catbomb (sorry old habits). I know I should feel exactly as you say, and you're without question he's on his way to becoming the greatest of all time. However, that still doesn't mean what I prefer to see as a heavyweight monster. I've been brought up on your heavyweight beasts, in both boxing and MMA, and all my favourites in the past have terrified me at the same time.

This isn't a knock on the guy's talent, he just has that shit face.

In fairness, I kind of get it. Probably a bit stupid dismissing pro-wrestling as a comparison before, but I feel the same way about John Cena - clearly world-class ability, should be on top, but he's got nothing I want to see in a HW champion. Shit character, don't buy him as this super-awesome guy (just comes across as begging and pandering), and he's got a really boring head.

Maybe I'm becoming jaded in my old age, but I agree with Herbie and Lamby. The face can fuck off. I hate quirkiness for the sake of quirkiness. That being said, Jim Carrey is one of my favourite actors, especially in his more serious roles (Trueman Show, Phillip Morris, Eternal Sunshine, Man On The Moon, etc)

It's the same with Werdum. "The face" doesn't overrule the man's talent. I've really enjoyed watching him fight in recent years, and he seems like a nice bloke. With that in mind, I hope he beats Miocic on Saturday night.

Cyborg did a total McGregor weigh-in, she looked so unhealthy. Plus her nutritionist has said come fight time tomorrow she'll be weighing 165-168 lbs, which is fucking madness and just goes to show they can introduce all these new anti-weight cutting rules but they will never stop people doing dangerous cuts.

Archived