The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

• Paid Members

The thing that annoyed me most about Pimblett was him wearing the Sakuraba shorts. I know it's obviously a tribute but he's really not worthy.

Echoing the praise for the Paul Dempsey and Luke Barnatt team. They did the UFC 205 preview for BT as well and I enjoyed that. Hopefully now they've got Dempsey that'll mean we'll see much less of Big Bad GAD from now on.

• Paid Members

How's Dempsey's knowledge? I know he's always been involved with Boxing but its the first time ive known him do anything MMA related.

Sometimes the guys brought in for these events look the part but they clearly know very little about the fighters they are covering. David Haye in BAMMA and recent Bas Rutten in WSOF being good examples.

Edited by Egg Shen

I think Paddy Pimlett got lucky in that fight. I don't think he's UFC ready as of yet, unless they start him out slowly. If they put him up against an established fighter then I think he'll fall flat. He's somebody who'll definitely benefit from sticking around with Cage Warriors for a few more fights, especially those which test him and one's where he has to really show his skills as a fighter. I kinda liked the studio setting. I think the cage was positioned weirdly though, it should be more central but it was off to the side. I also wonder whether if they had a ring set up ala Pride whether it would get casuals more interested since there's that whole negative "cage fighting" nonsense and connotations it gives off to those who arent familar with MMA. But there's the argument the cage/octagon is synonymous with western MMA so why should they change it. I also think the announce team did a good job. Bringing outsiders isn't a good idea, unless they are knowledgable about MMA. Mike Golberg was a sideline reporter for the Bulls during the early 90s and he's covered other sports too - ice hockey & college football and he transitioned well into being a UFC announcer. I think Paul Dempsey's like Mike as he's covered other sports too, notably boxing & football, so if somebody has the credentials so to speak I think if they just learn on the job and/or are enthaustic about the sport they cover it translates over well to the audience.

• Paid Members

I'd be disappointed to see Pimblett or Fishgold move up at this point. It kills any momentum Cage Warriors builds with guys and whilst i know it's every fighters dream to make that leap but there's gotta be benefits to staying put as well, especially for a guy like Pimblett who's selling out arena's in Liverpool.

An idea ive touted is the UFC possibly sending fighters to Cage Warriors to fight, there's so many unheralded undercard fighters, how about send them down and have Pimblett fight a current UFC fighter under the Cage Warriors banner. Might be tough to get a UFC fighter to do it but if the money's right i dont see why not? It's still presented on the UFC platform and they can advertise it as their own. With a win they could move Pimblett into the UFC with a shit ton of momentum behind him. I think it'd benefit the credibilty of the guys coming in and would generate buzz about guys debuting. Usually the UFC steal the Cage Warriors champions with very little fanfare, they just shove em om the undercard (like the debuting Marshman this weekend).

• Paid Members

How's Dempsey's knowledge? I know he's always been involved with Boxing but its the first time ive known him do anything MMA related.

He seemed fine from the bits I saw on Cage Warriors and on that UFC 205 preview. I don't know how much he followed MMA, if at all, before he got the gig but if he's going to become a regular on BT's MMA coverage I'm sure he'll pick it up soon enough. He's presented boxing shows since the 90s or something so he should be able to transfer some of that experience to covering MMA. He doesn't really need to be an expert anyway, I assume he's always going to be paired with someone like Barnatt or another fighter. I'd much rather him than GAD regardless. He's not annoying, big step in the right direction.

• Paid Members

Agreed, Dempsey's more of the anchor, he'd just have a few questions and fire them at Barnatt to answer, thought they worked well together. Better than a David Haye who works BAMMA and who clearly read a fighters record on Sherdog going into a fight...which is something Bas Rutten is guilty of in the WSOF.

Wondering if Dempsey is going to be involved with BT's new Boxing deal, be cool to see a crossover between them.

Edited by Egg Shen

Agreed, Dempsey's more of the anchor, he'd just have a few questions and fire them at Barnatt to answer, thought they worked well together. Better than a David Haye who works BAMMA and who clearly read a fighters record on Sherdog going into a fight...which is something Bas Rutten is guilty of in the WSOF.

Wondering if Dempsey is going to be involved with BT's new Boxing deal, be cool to see a crossover between them.

Yeah I reckon he'll be on-board he does other stuff for BT if I remember correctly anyway. Maybe they want him on all of their fight coverage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Battle Arena are introducing a new format to their shows as of next year, starting at Battle Arena 43 at The Kassam Stadium in Oxford on 25th February. They are putting a new twist on the tournament idea by having MMA teams/gyms competing against each other throughout the year until a winning team is crowned. That team will then face off against one of their affiliate organisations from abroad.

An interview with the owner is on the Addicted MMA website - http://addictedotr.com/2016/11/21/exclusive-mma-battle-arena-announces-new-team-format-2017/

Anyone here been to any of their shows? I've been to a couple, and there's some excellent talent in the amateur world. Corey Beldon in particular is very decent, as is Fabian Edwards who is the brother of UFC's Leon Edwards.

• 1 month later...