The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

• Paid Members

real disappointing end to Cage Warriors, Che Mills tapped out from a shot after 18 seconds with what looked like a knackered knee. Was looking forward to it too.

First 3 fights on the card were all action though, 3 first round stoppages and both Welshman looking good. Reed's TKO of Kelly will be propping up some highlight reels for a bit, had a bit of Phil Baroni/Dave Menne about it.

• Paid Members

BAMMA is live on Dave tonight from 9. Don't know alot about the card but some wally from Geordie Shore is fighting. He came in 15lb over the weight limit so it all seems a bit of a farce...the guys fight (name escapes me) is on streamed like on facebook as a part of the prelims.

I think BAMMA are missing a trick here. I've had 3 people ask me about Aaron from Geordie Shore's cage fight tonight. They should have stuck him on the main card if it helps get get eyes on BAMMA.

15lbs over weigh really takes the piss though.  

• Paid Members

yeh, sounds like a no brainer to me. Bellator did a similar thing when Alex Reid fought on their first London show. They buried him on the prelims and not a lot was said about it, you'd think letting a guy like open a main card and stick his face on a poster would go a long way into drawing interest.

I've had numerous people ask about it. Fucking retarded they didn't air it live or at least as opening the show. The result was already all over social media by the time it aired. Handled absolutely terribly. That said he didn't look half bad for a guy at 0-0-0. Did all the basics right and didn't freeze on the big occasion with arguably a lot of pressure to deliver, on him. Rest of the show was so-so. Some good stuff some bad, not much else noteworthy. 

• Paid Members

yeh i saw the finish of the fight, the crowd reaction tells you that it was something that the audience were into. It doesn't matter than Geordie Shore is seen as a bit of a joke to a lot of people, it's massively popular and the interest shown all over social media showed that BAMMA should have been taking advantage of that situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Cage_Warriors_84.jpg

Cage Warriors on BT/Fight Pass tonight.

Really enjoyed the last Newport show so im making this a regular thing now. Im not really familiar with anyone on the main card except for Matt Inman go can't really give any kind of thoughts, should be worth a watch though.

I was at the Cage Warriors this evening, generally a pretty good show. Craig Whyte, Inman & Wood all the major highlights for me. Shameless plug but on my Twitter I posted a video of the crowd losing it when Wood scored the finish tonight, really awesome scenes. Worth a look @SeanWalford on Twitter.

Edited by seanz25

• Paid Members
On 6/3/2017 at 0:31 AM, seanz25 said:

I was at the Cage Warriors this evening, generally a pretty good show. Craig Whyte, Inman & Wood all the major highlights for me. Shameless plug but on my Twitter I posted a video of the crowd losing it when Wood scored the finish tonight, really awesome scenes. Worth a look @SeanWalford on Twitter.

Me too. I thought Kenneth Bergh looked decent as well.

What's up with the crowd at Cage Warriors though? Peak audience size must've been around the Inman fight (when it was full up). By the time the main event started, the place was half empty.

Wood took some shots early but otherwise looked amazing. Some solid take down defence and then ridiculous power and hand speed. Surely he'd only a win or two away now from a UFC contract.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, Chunk said:

Me too. I thought Kenneth Bergh looked decent as well.

What's up with the crowd at Cage Warriors though? Peak audience size must've been around the Inman fight (when it was full up). By the time the main event started, the place was half empty.

Wood took some shots early but otherwise looked amazing. Some solid take down defence and then ridiculous power and hand speed. Surely he'd only a win or two away now from a UFC contract.

That was my second CW's London show - It was the same deal with the crowd last time out. My gut feeling is that it's largely mate's who attend, rather than casual fans. So I think a lot fuck off if one of their pals has fought. It was like £5.50 for a shitty pint of Budweiser, it's probably not worth sticking around for most people who don't follow the sport I'd guess.

Worth noting for those interested in going to the Indigo London shows, I had credentials that allowed me both seating and standing access. The seating is far better, view is awesome, you're not shattered from standing so long. But the tickets are pricey for seating. So really depends. 

You're spot on about Wood taking early shots, never looked like he was going down to me though. Wouldn't be surprised if nerves where a little jittery there, had a lot of people rooting for him, once he got going he was slipping punches very effectively. 

• Paid Members

I've watched the finish back now and his shots that ended looked even more impressive that in person. I hope he defends the belt. It's brutal for Cage Warriors if fighters win the belt and then always fuck off to the UFC.

Interesting info about seats, cheers. I bought standing because I'm cheap but I also wanted to actually go and just watch the fights so I ended up standing at the barrier all night. I was fucked by the end of it. Seats would be tempting for next time but the trouble I have is mates that aren't into it quite enough to pay more than the minimum. Biggest issue with downstairs (outside of having to stand the whole time) is that the cage is on the stage ... so when it goes to ground you basically can't see anything.

• Paid Members
On 06/06/2017 at 1:42 PM, Chunk said:

i very annoyingly saw results for this and missed yet another one!

but yeh, that's kind of how it goes at these kinds of events. The shows load up on local fighters who in turn sell a large ticket allocation themselves so you end up hearing different parts of the arena getting load at differents points of the show, and it can lead to venues emptying out once people see what they went for. It's strange but as long as they are paying their money its not so bad. In an ideal world on a smaller show you get a Paddy Pimblett type who fills it for the main event, that leads to the building atmosphere that peaks with the main event.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d say Cage Warriors delivered the goods once again. I wasn’t too enamoured with Donovan Desmae vs. Martin., but otherwise it was a very entertaining night of action. Cameron Else vs. Damo Weeden was the proverbial slobberknocker; a really entertaining slugfest of a fight. Rizlen Zouak looked decent in her MMA debut, and I hope she does well. The main event was a real blink-and-you’ll-miss it type affair. I don’t think anyone was expecting it to play out like it did.