The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

He's got all the potential in the world in my eyes, charismatic, exciting, still very young I think he's only 21 or 22 so room to improve his game massively still.

But at the same time quite how serious he's taking it is debatable, hopefully spewing up hot chocolate live on the telly after his last fight is enough to get him to sort himself out a bit. I could easily see him joining that breed of young UK fighters we saw last week at UFC London, all with bags of potential in the future.

Unfortunately Fishgolds fight is off the card. And they'd spent some money marketing the card around him as well as Paddy.

Edited by seanz25

Nobody outside the UK can understand him, has a shit haircut and he's very annoying and struggled in his last fight.

He'll probably always be able to get a pop in Liverpool but Ariel Helwani was talking about buzz and the last person with the same level was Conor McGregor, providing he's good enough at that level, he would have to tone down his accent, up his shit talk a million times to get to that level.

Tom Dequoney is much more marketable, good looks, training at a top team Jacksons, exciting style and has the nice guy French accent and is basically a 135/145 GSP.

Its just a pity MMA is banned in France with him and Nganno they have future top guys and even in Cage Warriors/BAMMA they have a few French champions

• Paid Members

Pimblett just has that strange X Factor going for him that you cant really teach. Obviously you need to be back it up but Pimblett just has that little something special that draws people in. There's very fighters in MMA in the UK with a following like Pimblett.

James Gallagher in Bellator has a similar kind of vibe but he's in danger of turning into a full on McGregor clone.

• Paid Members

Nobody outside the UK can understand him, has a shit haircut and he's very annoying and struggled in his last fight.

He'll probably always be able to get a pop in Liverpool but Ariel Helwani was talking about buzz and the last person with the same level was Conor McGregor, providing he's good enough at that level, he would have to tone down his accent, up his shit talk a million times to get to that level.

Tom Dequoney is much more marketable, good looks, training at a top team Jacksons, exciting style and has the nice guy French accent and is basically a 135/145 GSP.

Its just a pity MMA is banned in France with him and Nganno they have future top guys and even in Cage Warriors/BAMMA they have a few French champions

Mcgregor hardly speaks BBC English and he'd done OK ...

Edited by Chunk

Mcgregor hardly speaks BBC English and he'd done OK ...

Mines is glaswegian so im not slagging him, Every American buying Conors PPVs and watching him on talk shows knows what he's saying, Terry Etim was the same with certain fans asking for subtitles. He also goes on about Hillsborough but after a fight is not when you should bring that up. Even though I don't support any English team I sat amongst Liverpool fans and swapped scarf's with them in Liverpool's first game since Hillsborough and everyone got on well with each other, so I hope they do all get justice.

Pimblett dropped the belt last night, Narimani taking it off of him with a comfortable unanimous decision victory.

Shame for him. He's still only 22, and therefore has bags of time to round out his game but that's two fights in a now where the hype surrounding him will have depleted a little. He's still a draw mind, as evidenced by the crowd numbers events featuring him have attained, but he could do with a rebuilding fight next to bounce him back. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the holes in his standup and take down defence were shown up pretty significantly last night. The crowds reaction to Nirimani after the fight was ridiculous. Andy  Friedlander (who's terrible by the way) even having to appeal for a show of respect.

Nathaniel Wood got an impressive win over Vaughan Lee and was told in the cage that he'll get a shot at the 135 lb belt at the London show in June. Works for me!

Just on the Friedlander comment ... I hate to be down on the guy and he's obviously doing a better job than I ever could but I just find his delivery excruciatingly clumsy. "FIIIIting out of the RED corner". It's just so awkward.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On Sunday, April 02, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Chunk said:

Just on the Friedlander comment ... I hate to be down on the guy and he's obviously doing a better job than I ever could but I just find his delivery excruciatingly clumsy. "FIIIIting out of the RED corner". It's just so awkward.

Yeh, Friedlander is terrible. Im not quite sure how he's got the gigs he has. He's even doing BT's boxing shows now. 

Im definitely watching Cage Warriors 83 live on Fight Pass this weekend, ive really fallen out of touch with live shows this last couple of months and im free to watch this weekends live so its happening. I even missed the Pimblett show :(

• Paid Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezLMyajMQwQ

small preview interview with Graham Boylan and Jack Marshman for tonights show.

Really interested in the main event, it's two UK guys ive followed for a while, Mills has seemed on the slide for a while and Long has UFC aspirations so it might be a bit of a passing of the guard situation. Im thinking of stumping down a few quid later so i'll go for Lewis Long.

The guy in the opener Jack Shore im well aware of too. Large Welsh following and his dad is the promoter of the Welsh part of Cage Warriors, he may be getting matched up carefully but he definitely appears to be a bit of a prospect.