The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

Wood & Reed might have just put on the round of the year.

Insane fight. Definitely worth checking out if you missed it tonight.

Saying that the whole card was brilliant. 2 fantastic nights of fights from both Cage Warriors & BAMMA this weekend. 

UK MMA seems in pretty good shape right about now.

• Paid Members

Mentioned this in another thread earlier in the week but some people might have missed it. ACB 70 is live in Sheffield tomorrow night:

wQ5iLOy.jpg

Real quality main event, probably the top two British Middleweights outside of the UFC.

Here's a nice little article if you are a bit unfamiliar with other fighters on the card:

http://mmauno.com/9-men-to-watch-out-for-at-acb-70-this-weekend/

Show is free on Boxnation, Fite and Youtube.

• Paid Members

So did anyone watch ACB? There were a lot of decisions and the show was a bit long for my liking but it was good on the whole. 

Askham vs Barnatt was a real good fight. What was the beef between these two about? You could see it from the staredown and mouthing off during the refs instructions, then Askham refusing the glove touch, and just how aggressive Askham was in the fight in general. Anyway, I really enjoyed this. Probably because I can't stomach Barnatt and it was nice to see him taking a few digs. Fair play to him though, he did well to get himself back into the fight after a rough start. I don't get how one of the judges scored it for Barnatt though. He landed some good stuff but I had Askham winning the first two rounds fairly clearly. He was lighting Barnatt up with that left hand all night and the left body kick. I thought Barnatt had a better third but by that point he needed a finish to me. Pretty clear cut 29-28 for Askham, IMO. The right man got the nod so all is good. Excellent fight regardless. Wish it was 5 rounds. 

Bubba Jenkins looked good. Won the wrestling as you'd expect, survived a few submissions and got the stoppage with ground and pound. 

Magomed Ginazov looked like a fucking beast. It took a little while to get going but once Ginazov got settled in he looked great. His opponent Vranceanu didn't look bad himself but he was outgunned in this one. Ginazov's mount looked like a death sentence. Just smashed him from there. 

I like the look of Kharon Orzumiev as well. Quality striker and aggression off the charts. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

The opener Cheya Saleem vs Aaron Robinson was short and sweet. I'd never heard of either of them but I was instantly hoping Robinson would win when Mir said that Saleem came in about 5lbs over the weight for the fight. That's indefensible. And then he goes and fucking wins in 48 seconds. It was an incredible guillotine where he was literally liftung Robinson up and both his feet were off the ground.

One thing though, and it's a minor gripe. What was with the fighters walkout songs? There must have been at least 4 or 5 fighters who came out to 'Let Me Clear My Throat' by DJ Kool. I mean, good song but what's up with that? 2 or 3 came out to Roy Jones 'Can't Be Touched' as well. Weird. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Cage Warriors tomorrow evening, live from Newport, Wales which always gets my interest as it features the Welsh guys...

1000x600.jpg

Lewis Long (169.8) vs Roberto Soldic (170.3)
Craig White (170) vs Matt Inman (170.5)
Jack Shore (145.3) vs Mattia Galbiati (145.2)
Aiden Lee (145.8) vs Ludovit Klein (145.7)
Aaron Khalid (170.4) vs Ross Houston (170.4)

Lewis Long is always in an entertaining scrap, lots of talk about him possibly going to the UFC, another win will either get him that or a crack at Karl Amoussou.

Jack Shore is probably the most intersting name there other than that for me. Another Welsh boy but highly tipped, he's like a Welsh version of Paddy Pimblett. Not in personality but in terms of having a following, he'll no doubt have the biggest support at the show tomorrow (which is sold out). Not sold on his abilities in the cage yet but he's fighting so-so opposition, doesn't hurt that his dad is involved with the running of the Welsh Cage Warriors shows either but if he's as good as they are trying to sell us he's worth keeping as eye on. He's fighting a last minute replacement tomorrow too which isn't great. Cage Warriors have even made a little mini doc. about him, not many fighters there get this treatment...

• Paid Members

fuck me, Lewis Long got cleaned out in that main event. I half thought Dan Hardy was being lazy when he compared Soldic to Crocop (Croation an' all) but then he bungs up a left high straight out of Crocop's playbook, bink!

Jack Shore looked impressive, i think hes got potential but i thought the commentators laid it on abit think with his opponents credentials, he seemed out of his depth from the opening bell. Cracking finish though.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the Cage Warriors show but fuck me, the interviews were annoying. Yeah we get it, you're scousers, no need to keep telling us every 30 seconds. I tweeted something along those lines and someone replied this morning with "Jealous much". No, love, I'm not. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
The La's were fucking shite.