NXT Spoiler Pace Discussion *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

I'm with Clinton on this, surely you'd want more eyes on a big title change. Then again, it's only NXT, it's hardly going to move the needle.

The change was done on a house show to promote the fact that anything can happen at an NXT house show and thus is well worth attending. It's a perfectly logical, actually brilliant, old-school tactic that many companies used to do years ago. 

It's the idea that tv tapings aren't the be all and end all, and that house shows aren't just 'exhibitions' where nothing of real note is going to happen.

NXT 'moves the needle' a great deal for WWE, in terms of fan enjoyment, interest and just generally being a hot entity that people care about. It's also one of the most watched shows on the Network, hence the money being pumped into it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The change was done on a house show to promote the fact that anything can happen at an NXT house show and thus is well worth attending. It's a perfectly logical, actually brilliant, old-school tactic that many companies used to do years ago.

Far more likely the change was done because WWE Creative plans have changed and a decision has been made to bring Finn up to the main roster sooner than NXT had planned for and with their next few weeks of TV already taped, there wouldn't have been an opportunity to switch the title any other way.

Far more likely the change was done because WWE Creative plans have changed and a decision has been made to bring Finn up to the main roster sooner than NXT had planned for and with their next few weeks of TV already taped, there wouldn't have been an opportunity to switch the title any other way.

I agree with Arch. No doubt they will sell the switch as a anything can happen moment, but it's more likely a result of plans changing.

Well, we'll see soon enough.

Alvarez on the Observer site believes Balor isn't being called up just yet and that plans are for a Joe vs Balor title rematch at a Takeover special on June 8th with some sort of added stipulation. The next NXT tv taping to build to that will be held on May 19th.

If the June 8th match is the direction, then the only reason why they did the title change on Thursday night instead of waiting for the May 19th taping would be to promote 'anything can happen' at NXT house shows.

I'm guessing they feel they have one more Balor Vs Joe match in the tank, they dont have any heels to put in with Balor right now at a high enough level for a takeover and they want to finish the feud with Joe holding the belt. 2 more matches between them, even one on TV is a bit too much so this helps in my opinion extend the feud a little longer.

Starting to really think Balor wont be in the Bullet Club in WWE but we will get months of AJ and Balor vs Anderson and Gallows matches

Starting to really think Balor wont be in the Bullet Club in WWE but we will get months of AJ and Balor vs Anderson and Gallows matches

I actually like that idea as long as it leads to either AJ or Balor joining the Club. I like the idea of the whole feud being an audition for a new member. It'd make Anderson and Gallows be the backbone of the group, the hard bastards that you have to earn the respect of to get in, rather than plain old thugs. There'd be intrigue for the hardcores too who know both Styles and Finn have been involved with (and beaten up by) the Club in the past.

• Paid Members

I don't watch Japanese wrestling but wasn't Jeff Jarrett in the Bullet Club for five minutes?

Yes. The brief flirtation of the Global/New Japan alliance (which I'm guessing collapsed when New Japan realized Global isn't a real thing) included Jeff wrestling in an undercard tag match at Wrestle Kingdom 9 with Karen in the corner.

Dreams of Chris Masters getting into New Japan, still unfulfilled. :(

I'm with Clinton on this, surely you'd want more eyes on a big title change. Then again, it's only NXT, it's hardly going to move the needle.

NXT 'moves the needle' a great deal for WWE, in terms of fan enjoyment, interest and just generally being a hot entity that people care about. It's also one of the most watched shows on the Network, hence the money being pumped into it.

But does it move the needle in terms of making actual money? As enjoyable or not as the product may be, I'd rather have the cold hard cash instead of being told by a bunch of fat cunts in CM Punk T-shirts "that was well good, that." If I was running the place.

From what I understood, NXT runs at a loss but is supplimented by the earnings from main roster house shows and tapings. Hence the reason they bulk tape NXT TV in advance. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I read that somewhere at the end of last year. I'll see if I can find a source.

Edit - This is the only thing I could find. It seems NXT was running at a loss in September 2015, a lot can change in nearly 8 months, but it definitely wasn't making money according to this: http://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-discusses-pay-structure-in-nxt-talent-meeting/

• Paid Members

It depends how you do your accounting, too. Do the t-shirts shifted by Kevin Owens count towards NXT's budget? It's like football clubs and their academies - PL ones cost £1-2m a year, which most years you won't get a return on. But one player later sold for £15m...

NXT runs at a big loss, and always will because it's the training ground, but it's masterful at keeping anti-WWE kids/idiots hooked into the WWE ecosystem by convincing them that buying tickets and Network subscriptions are somehow acts of defiance against WWE. It's directing the anti-WWE pound into a WWE kitty rather than to TNA or some indie group. The kid who sent the report of the show with the title change into the Observer included this:

Before the show opened, fans booed a WWE Network video promo and announcer/host Tom Phillips said at one point, "This isn't WWE. It's NXT!" There were shots of a kid holding up pro-NXT signs as well as a "Roman Sucks" signs. They are not hiding the fact that they are the rebel group. It's quite incredible, isn't it?

It also (theoretically) means built-in support/views/tickets from the same subset when an NXT darling jumps up to the big leagues. And the same thing on a larger scale, when Triple H lands the head of creative job on the main roster -- his internet face turn means we have to pretend he doesn't already have that job, but when Vince dies or goes into a home or whatever, there'll be a short-lived "Now Raw can be like NXT" boom period online. Then six weeks later, we will all say it was better when Vince was alive.

All in all, NXT must be more lucrative in the long run than OVW and FCW were. As long as it produces a star with more money-drawing ability and longevity than Cena, anyway.

Archived