McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Ariel Helwani's take was that Conor believes it not to be right promoting a fight whilst the SBG team are dealing with their fighter being involved in the Joao Carvalho fight?

I don't buy that though; no way. Dana would be okay if Conor had come to him and said that was the reason. Imagine the bad press if Dana & UFC pulled McGregor from UFC 200 because he was mourning a tragic death that got worldwide coverage, and didn't feel up to doing a press conference?

It's about money - no matter what any of them are pretending right now.

Also, McGregor just tweeted that he's making an announcement then deleted it.

https://twitter.com/MMAHistoryToday/status/722846875167141888

Edited by herbie747

• Paid Members

Looking at all the information out there, I think it's obviously a money issue. Or if not money, then something like co-promotion. It's clear there's something one of them wants that the other one won't budge on, so they're now both playing chicken and calling each others bluff.

I don't buy that it's to do with him witnessing the death of that fighter the other week. If that was the case the he wouldn't be training right now in Iceland, he wouldn't have announced it so flippantly and he and his team wouldn't be making subtle jokes about it. Kavanagh also wouldn't have a Whatsapp group called "Conor Trouble," where people are talking about sitting out for a while. It's clearly a game of some sort.

It looks like the Randy Couture situation all over again. He wants something they won't give him, so his only option is to sit out and hope they give in first, whilst they try and carry on without him, hoping he gives in first. I just hope this doesn't go on as long as Randy's deal did. They're obviously going to settle in the end, so why waste time? Just sort it out as soon as possible.

Oh well, at least everyone can stop crying about Aldo and Edgar fighting for the interim version of a title held by someone on the very same card. Suddenly, that interim belt looks very much suited to the situation. He'll likely not be defending it for a long, long time.

What do we think Conor has made so far? Ten million? Fifteen? Unless they come to some type of arrangement I imagine this will go on until Conor manages to spend a good portion of his money. He's considered a big spender, isn't he?

It's also interesting to remember how similarly being pulled from a fight for missing a press conference made Nick Diaz an even bigger star. Can you imagine what this could do for Conor? The idea that he could become even bigger seems insane at this point. He was the talk of my office today and people near my desk were genuinely pissed off with how many people were coming by and asking me what's happening with him. He seems to have broken the Internet, too. He's taken over social media. If he wanted to show them how powerful he is then he's very much succeeded.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Obviously we dont know in's and out's of the deal but i just cant help but think that all money related stuff leading into the fight will already be sorted out. If Conor's signed to fight i dont see how he can ask for more money.

As for the death of Carvalho. McGregor at the moment is primarily in Iceland to help Gunnar Nelson train for his upcoming fight, i dont know if he's even in full on fight camp yet...however, the issue Ariel stated wasnt that Conor's against fighting, more that he's against the idea of promotion a fight when that's just happened. Im only going from what Helwani's said and he's probably got the best sources in the business.

• Paid Members

God bless Helwani, but he's a little bit on the autistic side. Not Meltzer levels, of course, but there's still times when he obviously reads, sees or says things wrong. This felt like one of those times. If Conor or his team were deeply affected by the death and were against the idea of promoting and creating a spectacle then would they flippantly be announcing their retirements (Conor), making jokes about needing a plumbing job (Kavanagh), tweeting "having the craic in Iceland" (Paddy) or retweeting "Conor KO'ing the Internet like he KO'd Aldo" (Nelson)? Surely they'd just openly state their concerns with promoting at this sensitive time?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

http://muvimotv.com/misc/dana-white-joins-colin-cowherd-to-talk-conor-mcgregors-retirement-tweet-full-interview

Dana interview.

He doesn't believe Conor is retired.

He thinks Conor will fight again in the UFC within the year.

It isn't a money issue.

Says Conor needs to clear this all up soon or else Frankie vs. Aldo is will be for the vacant Featherweight Title.

If Conor gave him a ring and sorted it out he could be back on the card for UFC 200.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

God bless Helwani, but he's a little bit on the autistic side. Not Meltzer levels, of course, 

Must every time someone says something out of the ordinary we go to this? Its not a shot at you here, but there's times I just can't stand how my disability is used as a way of proving someone wrong.

Anywho, mundane complaint over, the Conor thing is surely about money. McGregor knows the deal and to be headlining 200 as their biggest star with people invested in him "getting revenge" for his loss, there's enough for him to want more money. He's never really given a crap about UFC's intentions, as long as he's proving himself to be the best and getting paid for it. Dana's got to be having that vein on the front of his head throbbing right now.

• Paid Members

Apologies if I caused offence. I'm sure there's a better word for it.

The idea that it's not about money is fascinating to me. Could it really, truly be how Dana has described it? Where the entire crux is that Conor didn't fancy jumping on a plane? With most people I would brush it off, but it's Conor McGregor. He's just the type to make such a massive issue over something so small.

Also, call me cynical, or obsessed with the idea that Conor is juicing, but if a man is refusing to fly into Vegas when he's required for no particular reason, then I'm always going to assume he's got something to hide. After all, if I wanted to cheat, being somewhere in Iceland makes me far less likely to be surprise tested than if I'm in Vegas, doesn't it?

Edited by Supremo