McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

One website received a fake looking message from someone claiming to be the mate of the son of the editor of a major Irish newspaper. The message stated that McGregor had been arrested for the rape. Since then, it has been reported that no arrests have been made. The victim is still not in the right state of mind to make a statement. The website has since removed the message they received.

The closest we have to any sort of confirmation is a tweet from an MMA journalist who works for Russia Today. His sources have told him that it isn't McGregor. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Despite internet chatter, I have no idea if McGregor was even the suspect in the recent "Irish sports star rapes girl" thing but (whether he was or wasn't - and it's entirely possible that he wasn't) it looks like the case won't be moving forward.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...42303?mode=amp

Progress ‘unlikely’ in investigation of sportsman rape claim

Alleged victim yet to make formal complaint to gardaí

Conor Gallagher, Crime Correspondent

Updated: Thu, Dec 27, 2018, 15:11

Gardaí investigating the alleged rape of a Dublin woman by a sports personality believe the matter is unlikely to progress.

The alleged victim has yet to make a statement to gardaí and is unlikely to do so, sources say.

Earlier this month gardaí in Pearse Street were told by acquaintances of the woman that she was raped by the man in a south Dublin hotel on the night of December 9th or in the early hours of the following morning.

The alleged victim, a young mother, was taken to a sexual assault treatment unit where she was treated and forensic samples were taken. It is understood she presented in a highly traumatised state with extensive bruising.

Although she has been in contact with gardaí about the alleged rape, she has not made a formal statement. Sources say, despite forensic evidence taken from the woman, the investigation cannot move forward without her statement.

The man has made himself available for interview with gardaí but investigators have yet to take him up on this offer.

Gardaí have also visited the hotel where the alleged attack took place to gather evidence. However the room had been cleaned since the alleged incident by the time they arrived.

It comes down to consent. Without a statement of complaint in cases like this he would just say whatever happened was consensual,” a garda close to the case said.

Even with a statement it can be an uphill battle [to make an arrest] but that’s the starting point.

Forensics only tell you so much. They don’t usually prove there was no consent. That’s what a statement is for.”

Without a statement from the woman gardaí do not have enough evidence to make an arrest or to send a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The garda said the investigation was still open but “at this stage” was unlikely to progress. There was no indication the woman would change her mind about making a statement in the future, although he stressed this might change.

Back onto fight matters, it looks like the next fight for McG will be a rematch with Khabib.

Yup, poor old Tony is getting shafted as Dana has said to TMZ that the fight will be happening this year. I don't see a different outcome to be honest, I think Khabib still handles Conor relatively easily.

• Paid Members

If true that's fucking bollocks. There was nothing in the first fight that warrants a rematch, no unanswered questions & that's before you even mention Ferguson. Khabib vs T Ferg is the fight that fans* want to see.

*me

Yeah, can’t see anything other than a rinse and repeat job should that rematch go down. Not a chance that Conor’s able to make the adjustments needed to even give Khabib problems within such a short time span. Obviously the money involved will be a huge factor when making this fight, but I do wonder if McGregor’s drawing power takes a significant hit if he ends up getting dominated twice in consecutive fights.

Just now, Dead Mike said:

If true that's fucking bollocks. There was nothing in the first fight that warrants a rematch, no unanswered questions & that's before you even mention Ferguson. Khabib vs T Ferg is the fight that fans* want to see.

*me

Worst thing is, part of the reason this fight will happen is because of Khabib and his manager. They've followed the classic trend of the fighter who accuses everyone of ducking them when they're a contender, pointing at the Irish lad and claiming he's not a real fighter, and that they want to put the division back on track, only to become the exact same when they win the belt.

Now we've got Abdelaziz doing interviews as though he's Leonard Ellerbe, talking about how "he" needs someone who can sell PPV's "for him."

It's depressing to be honest, and is why I was surprised to see Jon Jones look to step in with Anthony Smith next. I'm shocked these days when I see a UFC champion who doesn't turn into Gordon fucking Gekko as soon as he wins a belt.

• Paid Members

yeh, the Jones/Smith fight does have a refreshing feel to it in the current climate. It's a proper underdog tale of a guy rising from almost journeyman status to getting a crack at the greatest 205lber of all time. I like it.

• Paid Members

That sucks, but if you're everyone involved that's not Ferguson, it makes the most sense. Everyone involved gets rich and, if you're the UFC you'll know most of the fights you book this year won't do the business. I guess the thinking is there is a fair chance Khabib and Conor can lose their next fight, so why not cash in now.

Personally, I think Khabib got such a rub from battering Conor that his next fight sells because he's there. Same with Conor, obviously. Of course, you're not getting close to 2.5M without them fighting each other.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Yeah, that's all well and good, but this article from MMA Junkie kind of sums up the issues the company are creating for themselves...

Now that Nurmagomedov has the belt, he’s not going to risk it against just any deserving contender. He’s looking for a payday, and that is the one and only requirement for getting some cage time with him now.

You want a title shot? Don’t bore us with the details of who you beat or which interim titles you won. Show us the pay-per-view buys, or else keep walking.

In fairness, the Nurmagomedov camp isn’t the only one to adopt this stance. It’s actually become a pretty common part of the MMA fighter career arc. When you’re climbing up the ranks, you’re all about opportunity. Throw everyone in the cage and let’s see who’s better.

As you get closer to the top, then it’s about people ducking you. Whoever the champ is, he needs to stop running and give you the title shot you’ve earned.

Then you win the belt, and suddenly things slow way down. Your matchmaking decisions become more deliberate. You realize you have an ATM in your living room, but you don’t know for sure just how many withdrawals you’re going to get to make, so you’d better make them count.

This is a system that makes perfect sense to the champion, and sometimes to the promoter, but it’s no way to run a division. All it does is rob every other fight of any meaningful stakes. Once it’s clear that your only priority is getting from one short-term cash grab to the next, no one will believe that any of the division’s other fights have any purpose other than filling time and taking up space.

After all, you’ve just told us that winning fights doesn’t mean anything – only selling pay-per-views does. So either do a little property damage or slap someone around in a hotel lobby, or else don’t bother. The champion isn’t interested in challengers; he’s interested in paydays.

Can you blame him? Maybe not. I mean, it does carry a whiff of pulling up the ladder after you, especially when you weren’t known for selling a ton of pay-per-views before the Irish guy came along and helped you.

But this is the system we’ve built for ourselves in this sport. The goal of every fighter is to get the belt, get a cut of the pay-per-view, and then refuse all but the most lucrative opponents.

And should it happen that, in the process of following this business plan, you end up doing exactly the sort of thing you complained about back when you were just another challenger aiming upwards at the champion, don’t sweat it. Yesterday’s promises don’t mean much here. And last year’s are practically worthless.

This model of business is unsustainable. It reeks of only looking at the next few months rather than planning for the future sustainability of the company.

The wheels are going to come off eventually, it's a stick on.

I thought McGregor would chase the Diaz mega bucks before going back to Khabib. But I guess he'll be obsessed with getting revenge for the loss - unlikely as it is.  I'm pretty sure the majority of fans would pay for that fight ahead of Tony - Khabib, so calling it the fight the fans want to see? Yeah, nah. 

• Paid Members

It's the biggest fight the UFC can make. Obviously, ideally Khabib and Conor win a fight first, but if the UFC go for an immediate rematch, then it's clear they don't want to piss away all that money if either man loses. I think Dana wanted them to have a fresh match first, but either the new owners or the fighters put their foot down.

Edited by ColinBollocks