McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I think the company are missing a trick by not promoting Khabib more. There's a very good chance that he's going to win this fight, maybe even looking incredibly dominant to the point where casuals are like "Holy fuck! Who is this guy?!?"

Some of them are trying:

i[1].jpg

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Which is pretty much the argument I was making about the UFC's promotion of Nunes. Given how Rousey had lost to Holm, there was a much higher chance than before that Nunes would beat her convincingly. Whilst she's not unstoppable, she's a bit of a killer. And she was champion at the time.

Is Nunes even looked over that much? Shes headlined two PPV's post-Rousey, she gets the countdown and embedded treatment, shes doing media lunches and the press conferences, shes even popped up on a few talks shows. Just beating a Rousey doesnt automatically put you in her shoes. What else can they do?

• Paid Members
Just now, Egg Shen said:

Is Nunes even looked over that much? Shes headlined two PPV's post-Rousey, she gets the countdown and embedded treatment, shes doing media lunches and the press conferences, shes even popped up on a few talks shows. Just beating a Rousey doesnt automatically put you in her shoes. What else can they do?

I'm talking specifically about the promotion of the Rousey fight. The logic that David's just put forward, that they should promote Nurmagomedov because chances are he's going to win and they'll want to be able to market him to casuals after McG fucks off, is the same logic I was arguing that they should have operated under when promoting Nunes fight against Rousey. That there was a good chance Rousey was going to lose owing to Nunes being a good striker, and that, as champion, they should have promoted her better to up her profile with casuals who'd just tuned in to see Rousey, who was likely to (and, indeed, did) fuck off after the loss.

19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'm talking specifically about the promotion of the Rousey fight. The logic that David's just put forward, that they should promote Nurmagomedov because chances are he's going to win and they'll want to be able to market him to casuals after McG fucks off, is the same logic I was arguing that they should have operated under when promoting Nunes fight against Rousey. That there was a good chance Rousey was going to lose owing to Nunes being a good striker, and that, as champion, they should have promoted her better to up her profile with casuals who'd just tuned in to see Rousey, who was likely to (and, indeed, did) fuck off after the loss.

There's one huge factor that you're forgetting here.

Dana doesn't really give a fuck about female MMA. He introduced it because Rousey appeared on the scene, but he doesn't care much for it beyond her because it doesn't really make him money.

He holds the likes of Nunes in the same esteem as he does a Jim Miller or Thiago Alves. To him, the women's champions today, possibly with the exception of Joanna Jedrzejykzykzkeykzkyzk, mean as much as a mid or lower card male fighter.

Khabib though, is the champion in a pretty hot division, so it's baffling why they aren't promoting the fuck out of him.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

There's one huge factor that you're forgetting here.

Dana doesn't really give a fuck about female MMA. He introduced it because Rousey appeared on the scene, but he doesn't care much for it beyond her because it doesn't really make him money.

He holds the likes of Nunes in the same esteem as he does a Jim Miller or Thiago Alves. To him, the women's champions today, possibly with the exception of Joanna Jedrzejykzykzkeykzkyzk, mean as much as a mid or lower card male fighter.

Khabib though, is the champion in a pretty hot division, so it's baffling why they aren't promoting the fuck out of him.

Yeah, I guess. I just figured that, as I mentioned in the other thread, the UFC in general might want to put whatever effort they could into squeezing some money out of the situation, given that Rousey wasn't going to be a cash cow forever - they could've used her "rub" to make Nunes at least a small draw.

Rousey-Nunes was promoted as Rousey being back, this fights got both guys as equals in the hype videos if not more them saying Khabib is a wrecking machine, certainly 50-50 from the UFC videos I've seen. They haven't been interviewed yet but McGregor wins that if he speaks like usual and TV stations will want to talk to Conor first and they probably talk about Floyd. Mayweatger a lot too.

Go on ufc's YouTube there is no Khabib burial, everything's basically 50/50 so far, Khabib looks like the killer and Conor looks like the maniac.

Edited by the_mole

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, I guess. I just figured that, as I mentioned in the other thread, the UFC in general might want to put whatever effort they could into squeezing some money out of the situation, given that Rousey wasn't going to be a cash cow forever - they could've used her "rub" to make Nunes at least a small draw.

Honestly, with the little amount of interest they have shown thus far in the Khabib vs Conor fight I'm wondering if they actually give a fuck anymore. It all seems very pedestrian and by the numbers these days, with fights being booked, a promotional template of sorts being used, and on to the next one.

The so-called biggest fight in the history of the organisation is a shade over three weeks away and we've still had nothing. I honestly think they're going to apply the same promotional plan as they do with other PPV's.

Remember the days when they made big fights seem like big fights? When they went outside the box and provided shit that had you literally bouncing weeks before the fight even took place?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

Honestly, with the little amount of interest they have shown thus far in the Khabib vs Conor fight I'm wondering if they actually give a fuck anymore. It all seems very pedestrian and by the numbers these days, with fights being booked, a promotional template of sorts being used, and on to the next one.

The so-called biggest fight in the history of the organisation is a shade over three weeks away and we've still had nothing. I honestly think they're going to apply the same promotional plan as they do with other PPV's.

Remember the days when they made big fights seem like big fights? When they went outside the box and provided shit that had you literally bouncing weeks before the fight even took place?

Well, this is the crux of the matter, isn't it? WME may be this gigantic entertainment corporation, but they've displayed nowhere near the promotional acumen that Zuffa did. Combine their incompetence with all the fighter unrest about earnings because of the Reebok deal, and Scott Coker's tactical nous, it's just possible Bellator could claw back a chunk of market share on WME's watch if they're not careful.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, David said:

Yeh but this is where fighters need to step in and push the fight promotion themselves, make themselves available for press tours, post training blogs, get on social media and do all that shit. The reason we are seeing none of that here is because Conor is refusing to do any of it and the UFC cant do alot about it because Conors holding all the cards because more than anything they want him back in the cage.

I dont think the UFC is doing less promotion now than they ever did, its just fights are being lost in a flooded market. Outside of this fight what is the UFC doing less of than they have done in the past? I thought Till/Woodley was built nicely this past weekend for example, there was tons of press and media stuff going on, and being Brits we saw a lot of it.

The problem with this fight is that with zero access to the fighters, what else can they do? Im pretty sure the amount of ads and all that stuff is exactly the same or probably more than usual, its just hard to promote a fight when the fighters involved aren't prepared to promote it. There's a similar situation going on with GGG/Canelo in boxing thats happening this week.

• 2 months later...

UFC fighter Conor McGregor has been banned from driving for six months after pleading guilty to speeding.

The Irishman, 30, admitted to driving his Range Rover at 154kph (96mph) in a 100kph (62mph) zone near Kill, County Kildare, in October 2017.

He apologised to the judge after he was also fined 1,000 euros (ÂŁ883) at Naas district court near Dublin.

McGregor's last UFC bout ended in defeat by Russia's Khabib Nurmagomedov in October.

Following the fight, there were violent scenes involving the fighters and McGregor was suspended for a month on medical grounds.

McGregor has 12 previous traffic offences dating back to his teens.

Judge Desmond Zaidan said: "The speed here is in the higher end. Speed kills and that is what makes speeding dangerous.

"When speeding goes wrong the consequences are catastrophic and life-changing, there is no question about that.

"Sadly we have lost more lives on our roads because of excessive speeding, dangerous speeds and other bad behaviour."

12 previous offences? Cunt makes Jones look like James May.