McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah it really feels so "Un-McG" at the moment but once the first presser starts, I reckon it will feel usual again.

Let's hope so, Keith. As I said, it would be a crying shame for a fight of this magnitude to come around and Conor to "Rousey" it when it came fight time.

Just now, David said:

Let's hope so, Keith. As I said, it would be a crying shame for a fight of this magnitude to come around and Conor to "Rousey" it when it came fight time.

Here's hoping come next January he isn't stood in the middle of a ring awkwardly pointing at a Wrestlemania sign.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

My "hatred for him as a person"?

Mate, I don't know the guy. I don't "hate" him, as a person or otherwise. I dislike some of his antics and the language he uses when hyping his fights, and think he acts like a dick a lot of the time.

For me to "hate" him he'd need to have impacted on my life in some serious negative way. He hasn't. He's a dude on the TV screen to me, and in "real life" I don't really think about what he does or says. 

I'm discussing him here because that's what we do here, isn't it? We kill spare time in our lives by talking about MMA, wrestling, biscuits, movies and various other nonsense for the most part.

I'm sharing an opinion I have on the upcoming fight. I think the build up has been weird, I think there's something more to it behind the scenes, but it's not a big deal, man. I don't "hate" anyone, and be there an issue or not behind the scenes it makes no real difference to any of us, does it?

In much the same way as we all discuss PPV buys and viewing figures that matter not a fucking jot to any of us regular plebs. None of it puts dough in our pockets, does it?

It's just discussion to kill time and I figured it would be an interesting angle to the build up, of which there's been very little.  

Alright, not 'hate' but 'dislike' Dislike for him as a person on your TV.

All I was saying was that it's clear you dislike him and that seems to cloud your judgment some of the time. You'd taken the stance that he loves the limelight and therefore there must be more to things than we know. To me that doesn't make sense - he's worked his way into a position whereby he doesn't need to do so much media and he's said for a long time now that he wants to do less.

9 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Alright, not 'hate' but 'dislike' Dislike for him as a person on your TV.

All I was saying was that it's clear you dislike him and that seems to cloud your judgment some of the time. You'd taken the stance that he loves the limelight and therefore there must be more to things than we know. To me that doesn't make sense - he's worked his way into a position whereby he doesn't need to do so much media and he's said for a long time now that he wants to do less.

Not just the media thing though, is it? I also mentioned the quick and seamless way the fight was arranged. 

There are various aspects to this bout that just don't seem right. If you want to ignore those aspects and just assume that my "hatred" of Conor is my reason for seeing them then fair enough.

• Paid Members

Nah, he's got that Diaz fight in his back pocket - imagine if Conor and Diaz win!

Anyway, on your post on the other page, I'd probably be on board with what you're typing if Conor didn't spend the past few years moaning about not wanting to do media. If the UFC really had Conor by the balls, surely he'd be on Conan right now doing a spinning heel kick? The UFC were very happy to exploit the demand for Conor, which is why he became annoyed with them. The UFC are giving Conor exactly what he's been after for years.

How the fight got booked is more speculative, of course. Although I'd add that Conor was up for fighting Frankie on a couple of weeks notice, no drama or demands, so he's clearly up for a scrap this year. The reason the fight didn't happen was because the UFC realised how silly it would be wasting Conor's big return with such little build. Maybe Conor just wants to fight? The Khabib fight makes the most sense financially and, you know, if he wants his belt.

I can understand why some find it little odd the difference in the build for this, but there are reasons for that which don't read like the plot of The Insider.

I just think it's an uneasy alliance of sorts at the moment, mate. The UFC have got Conor in a position where he has to take this fight when they want him to possibly due to fall out from the bus carry on, but at the same time he's not facilitating them entirely by going out his way media-wise.

The relationship is very strained between the company and the fighter, and I stand by my assessment that something just isn't right.

EDIT: Talking about how silly it would be to have Conor's big return wasted with so little build, that's what we're seeing right now. Dana has even said that he thinks there'll be "a few" press conferences soon, but honesty, they couldn't be building this thing any less than they are at the moment.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Its the lack of build and the fact that its us, the fans that are missing out is what sucks about it. Conor may be tucked away training like an utter madman for this, doing everything he can to put himself in a position to win the fight, but as people who follow the sport and enjoy all the bullshit that goes along with following the sport its a shame that the best man ever to ever promote a fjght, is flat out refusing to do it.

• Paid Members

This should all probably be in the 229 thread as so much of it ties into the strange build, or lack of, for this Khabib fight. 

I don't know what the fuck to make of any of it, to be honest. I know he's wanted to do less media since he beat Aldo, and that escalated in the run up to the Diaz rematch. But he's got to do something as the fight gets closer surely. I don't think it's really such a massive thing right now, we're still nearly a month out. How many fights are being heavily promoted that far out? This was, sadly, never getting the super juiced up Aldo vs McGregor type build. As fight week gets closer, if there's still nothing coming from McGregor then, then there's definitely something up. There's a difference between doing 'less' media and doing 'fuck all' media. And as much a pain as I'm sure doing MMA media on fight week can be, for someone as obsessed with money as McGregor is, you'd think he'd be promoting the fuck out of this fight to maximise PPV buys, and therefore maximising his payday. 

I think I said in the 229 thread that the whole thing was starting to feel a bit Rousey vs Nunes as well. I think it's just because McGregor has been acting very un-McGregor-like since the fight was made official. Maybe he's gone all Marvin Hagler and locked himself away to train like a demon but there's something just not feeling right about the whole thing to me. As much as McGregor might've been moaning about doing media since the Aldo fight, his actions have been the opposite of that. Up to now. He was saying one thing but doing another. For someone who was sick of promoting his fights, he's seemed to be having a whale of a time in the build up to the Alvarez and Mayweather fights. Go back and watch anything from the press conferences for those two fights. He's loving it. Actions speak louder than words for me. I think the 'I don't want to do media' was mostly a 'I'm not playing ball until you up my money. Again' type thing. Especially in that whole UFC 200/202 deal with the Nate rematch. It was clearly a case of both sides - the UFC/Dana vs McGregor - flexing their power.  

We'll see what happens on fight week. If he no shows the fight week press conference then some weird shit is going on. That would be almost like he wants this show to do less buys, and that goes against everything we know about who McGregor is. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

For someone who was sick of promoting his fights, he's seemed to be having a whale of a time in the build up to the Alvarez and Mayweather fights. Go back and watch anything from the press conferences for those two fights. He's loving it.

That's because he's really good at what he does, though. You give Conor a mic and he sparkles (or says something daft which gets headlines).

From what I've read and heard it's a combination of the time away from training and the schedule the UFC have him on that was grating on him. In front of the mic, he's there to do the job.

Again, I think this will be a mute point come fight week, when he ends up throwing Monster at Khabib's dad, or something.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Less is more. You lot are salivating. It'll get ramped up closer to the fight.

Yeah but we'd be salivating anyway. I'm dribbling over about 100 fights between now and December. We're already in the bag. But to the general fan who doesn't buy every PPV and watch every show, just one big McGregor rant at a press conference could generate enough soundbites and quotes that can be used on enough promos and highlight packages to get enough people outside the core MMA audience bubble to part with their dough. That's the whole purpose of all this fight week media bollocks. 

Hasn't the story already been written though? The bus incident was a more effective promotional tool than any soundbite or quote. All the UFC really needs to do is remind the audience that it happened and sprinkle in the usual fight-week hoopla to get everyone buzzing. Mayweather and Manny's fight had very little hype to it because all involved felt that the story wrote itself. 

I am not saying that David is necessarily wrong. The UFC might indeed have Conor over a barrel. However, I don't think there is much hype needed. It will be quite easy for the UFC to jog fan's memories during fight week. 

Edited by jimufctna24