McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

He's trolling, so calm down.

Is he? Seems to his usual MO though.

And BTW - John Kavanagh posted a screenshot to facebook but look at the background:

kav.jpg

That's a WhatsApp group message with the subject "Conor Trouble" where someone talks about "sitting out".

So not retirement - could be injury.

Edited by herbie747

What the fuck?!

I'm seeing people suggest that UFC may have informed Conor/Nate that they wouldn't be headlining, and they'd have to go on before a soon to be announced GSP/Lawler.

Surely not?!

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Also wand, I think it's rather harsh to be calling him anything without knowing, well, anything. Could be drugs, could be injuries, could be a legit quitter, could be his new music career, could be WWE, could be money reasons. Who's to know.

Oh I'm not calling him a quitter. Was just trying to make sense of it all, the weird timing especially. Although, to be fair, people were quick enough to accuse Aldo and RDA of juicing before anything was known. And Aldo was also accused of faking injuries and all sorts, despite the a doctor confirming the injury as legit. If that's the way it is then it's fair enough to ask questions of McGregor as well. Especially when he jacked MMA in once before after a loss.

I don't think it is a case of McGregor being a quitter, by the way. And the more I think about all this the more it really has to be a business thing. Some conflict with the UFC management or something. Because if you look at his twitter he was posting stuff about training in Iceland as recently as yesterday, and also tweeted 'Hungry like day 1' a couple of days earlier. The fighter's death in Ireland might've weighed into his decision as well but those tweets I'm on about were after Carvalho's death. He seemed to be raring to go for UFC 200 right up to yesterday. Something must've happened today to fuck everything up.

Dana White on Sportscenter: Conor has been pulled from UFC 200. Working on a new main event.

:(

I think it's highly unlikely that McGregor will retire for good. I expect him to be back fighting in the UFC within the next 2 years. However, I was really up for the rematch. From a sporting and spectacle perspective, it was an enthralling match-up. Easily surpassing anything else the UFC has on its current schedule (and that's saying something, as the UFC have some sterling stuff coming up)

Edited by jimufctna24

Such a crazy situation. I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming days but it's just mental with the timing of all of it, as Wand said, he'd been posting about training and how motivated he was just days ago.

It has to be some sort of contract/general dispute with UFC, you'd imagine. If he was injured we'd have found out already and I don't for a second buy that he was afraid/quit. This is a guy that has never shyed away from any challenges in the UFC - mere months ago we all would comment how much guts he had, be it from continually taking short notice fights or moving up two weight classes!

• Paid Members

Dana is claiming they pulled McGregor because he wouldn't attend a press conference. Given his opponent, that doesn't seem a very credible story.

One story going about that McGregor demanded $10 million for the Diaz fight and UFC refused. Bearing in mind that's equivalent to the UFC cut for 300,000 buys on PPV, that's by no means an outlandish amount to pay a draw the level of McGregor.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's most likely about $$$

I should go to bed - refreshing this page & Twitter for 6 hours now - WTF am I doing with my life...

Edited by herbie747

Dana is claiming they pulled McGregor because he wouldn't attend a press conference. Given his opponent, that doesn't seem a very credible story.

They pulled Nick Diaz from the original GSP fight (which Condit replaced him in) for missing the press conference, so they do have previous for it - no matter how stupid. I think I'm more inclined to believe that than the $10m rumour, tbh.

If this is indeed the case, and who the fuck knows if it is given Dana talks 98% utter shit, then fair play to Conor for sticking to his morals. You're talking about a guy that is already well into his training camp, to have him jet around the world for a press conference and promo stuff a couple of months before a big fight is daft. With flights, actual time doing the promo shit and jet lag, he'd be losing at least a full week of training - compare that to Diaz (or anyone else really on the card) who are an hour or two flight from Vegas and the same time zone.

Luke Thomas brought up a good point of how this is a similar behavioural instance of Dana throwing his toys out of the pram as like when they released the AKA guys, including Velasquez, over pretty much forcing them to sign over video game rights.

Sucks for the Irish contingent who have already booked flights and accommodation (and I know there's quite a few already) in order to support Conor.