ColinBollocks

I think if GSP vs McGregor ever happens, it'll definitely be at 170. Can't see GSP at 185 being anything more than a one-off thing myself.

It does annoy me though that he's up for it now, when the real superfight - GSP vs Anderson - never happened. I hate that that fight got away. And while GSP played on the size difference stopping that fight, people forget that Anderson was saying he was open to a catchweight of 177-180. Then GSP and Firas Zahabi basically called Anderson's bluff and said the only way the fight would happen would be if Anderson dropped to 170. Anderson then said that that could be possible and he'd be up for trying the cut. GSP and Firas went quiet again after that.

GSP is maybe the greatest MMA fighter ever. And a top bloke with it. But he wanted none of Anderson. Ever. Everything GSP ever said about fighting Anderson, at any weight, was so non-committal but he'd always leave the door just ajar enough that you had some hope it'd happen somehow. Like a really hot girl making you think you might have a shot, all the while knowing she was never in a million years going to let you even touch her knee.

Not calling him a coward. I am calling him a cockteasing bastard though.

You can't beat up on GSP not wanting to fight Anderson when Silva himself wanted no part of ever fighting Jon Jones. He even fought at light heavy a few times. Then when asked about Jones he would change the subject.

• Paid Members

The thing is with GSP and Ive heard it bandied around by detractors and its that hes not a "fighter" . Hes not a gun slinger hes very cerebral and it was never worth his while to risk that.

Regardless he was on top off probably the most competive divison for 6-7 yeard and beat everyone who was a contender. Hes also a fantastic role model for the sport, probably the best actually considering the babaric image that some people still assosciate with it. For me hes up there in discussion as the greatest ever along with Anderson and Jones.

• Paid Members

I think if GSP vs McGregor ever happens, it'll definitely be at 170. Can't see GSP at 185 being anything more than a one-off thing myself.

It does annoy me though that he's up for it now, when the real superfight - GSP vs Anderson - never happened. I hate that that fight got away. And while GSP played on the size difference stopping that fight, people forget that Anderson was saying he was open to a catchweight of 177-180. Then GSP and Firas Zahabi basically called Anderson's bluff and said the only way the fight would happen would be if Anderson dropped to 170. Anderson then said that that could be possible and he'd be up for trying the cut. GSP and Firas went quiet again after that.

GSP is maybe the greatest MMA fighter ever. And a top bloke with it. But he wanted none of Anderson. Ever. Everything GSP ever said about fighting Anderson, at any weight, was so non-committal but he'd always leave the door just ajar enough that you had some hope it'd happen somehow. Like a really hot girl making you think you might have a shot, all the while knowing she was never in a million years going to let you even touch her knee.

Not calling him a coward. I am calling him a cockteasing bastard though.

You can't beat up on GSP not wanting to fight Anderson when Silva himself wanted no part of ever fighting Jon Jones. He even fought at light heavy a few times. Then when asked about Jones he would change the subject.

You can't compare these though. Neither Jones nor Anderson at any point expressed any interest at all in that fight. On top of that, as Wand says, there wasn't any doors ajar comments from either party.

Anderson fought up there as one offs and fill in. There was no desire to fight for a title that GSP now seems to be cherry picking based on the opponent in front of him. 

• Paid Members

GSP's the best. It doesn't get brought up enough, but his stand against PEDs during his last year or two in UFC was commendable. DC made the point when Jones got in bother that a true champion has to do it in and out the cage and nobody embodied that more than GSP.

As I typed on the other page, GSP didn't need the Silva fight. With or without Anderson he was making huge money (since 100, only his last fight dipped under 700k buys, should you believe wiki) and without the need to arse about with weight and what not. I've read/heard he did try and slowly put on some weight but realised for one reason or another it wasn't worth the bother. It wasn't. We were both robbed of a special fight, but both men are regarded as two of the best ever regardless - although Silva's legacy took a huge hit when he got caught doing PEDs.

• Paid Members

Theres no getting GSP being a cheeky cunt here. Well all know fine well Bisping is about the only guy he would step up for. Its not even a problem if there wasnt a past with Anderson or he has picked his time so aptly.

Nobody would have batted an eye lid if from day one at the suggestion of the match up they had told them to get to fuck, I think the reason it rubs people up the wrong way he has been a cock tease and its very calculated.

Ive never personally had a problem with that. Although i will say there has never been a possible super fight that is exciting as that.

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

You can't beat up on GSP not wanting to fight Anderson when Silva himself wanted no part of ever fighting Jon Jones. He even fought at light heavy a few times. Then when asked about Jones he would change the subject.

I can't beat up on GSP because he'd fucking destroy me :laugh:

But no, I was gutted about Anderson vs Jones not happening as well. I wanted all those dream fights to happen. I never denied that Anderson didn't want to fight Jones. Doesn't make my point about GSP dancing around the Anderson superfight invalid though. And at least Anderson never kept hinting that the Jones fight might happen 'IF...' this, this and that happened. Anderson pretty much always shot down any chance of the Jones fight whenever it came up. GSP would piss about going 'I will 'av to put weight on but maybe...' Or he'd start on about catchweight or Anderson coming down to welterweight. He always made it sound just possible enough that maybe it could happen.

If GSP's coming back, then the Lawler fight is the one now. I wouldn't be against the Bisping fight but GSP vs Lawler would be amazing.

Edited by wandshogun09

I can't beat up on GSP because he'd fucking destroy me :laugh:

But no, I was gutted about Anderson vs Jones not happening as well. I wanted all those dream fights to happen. I never denied that Anderson didn't want to fight Jones. Doesn't make my point about GSP dancing around the Anderson superfight invalid though. And at least Anderson never kept hinting that the Jones fight might happen 'IF...' this, this and that happened. Anderson pretty much always shot down any chance of the Jones fight whenever it came up. GSP would piss about going 'I will 'av to put weight on but maybe...' Or he'd start on about catchweight or Anderson coming down to welterweight. He always made it sound just possible enough that maybe it could happen.

If GSP's coming back, then the Lawler fight is the in now. I wouldn't be against the Bisping fight but GSP vs Lawler would be amazing.

Anderson just always annoyed me with that whole "Yes I will fight GSP anytime, anywhere" when he is 6ft2 and has fought at 205. GSP is 5ft10 and a WW. When Silva was asked about Jones it was always "mumble, mumble I don't speak English that well. Next question please."

I agree that I think he will come for Lawler. GSP vs Bisping he could win but it would be daft. He would vacate and move down if he won. It would be a mess.

Things have changed a lot in the short time GSP has been away, USADA, IV bans, at 200 you will be weighed on the Monday and should be 8% of your weight limit, so no more crazy cuts, maybe GSP thinks he can compete at 185 in an environment like that.

Rashad Evans has said GSP has out wrestled him loads of times at Jackson's and in that ESPN Sports Science show it was proved he was faster and had more impact than Rashad on his takedowns, this was years ago but it still might apply today

What's with everybody trying to protect GSP? I don't mind Nick Diaz but im not a fanboy of his and have seen him lose multiple times and then blame the scoring system or whatever but no one gave a shit, when he was put in with Anderson Silva and the same people trying. Get him a fight with Robbie Lawler because he beat him 12 years ago(Lawler has lost about a dozen times since then) but poor GSP should stay away, despite the fact He easily beat Diaz and Condit apart from one moment in the fight, who Lawler barely beat.

Edited by the_mole

For me, it's the Larry Holmes vs Ali effect.

I really don't like seeing legendary fighters - especially ones that have generally carried themselves well - jump into the octagon in the winter of their careers and get mauled. Two of the worst experiences I've had as an MMA viewer was watching D.C vs Hendo a few years ago, and Aoki vs Sakuraba last year. 

Now, I don't suspect that GSP would be dominated like that. However, I think he'd run the risk if he was put into certain fights. For example, I think Weidman would maul him, and so would others at 185lbs (where some have suggested that GSP compete). I like the Lawler fight, and possibly a showdown with the winner of Diaz/McGregor. 

He's never been really mauled though, Serra caught him and Hendo is more like Ali, GSP looks practically the same as his prime, he didn't look great against Hendricks but that's about it and he's nowhere near as bad Ali in the run up to the Holmes fight.

Robbie Lawler has taken a shit load of damage and so has Diaz, just when they got into the game they didn't exactly sound smart and still don't, GSP does and I think that clouds peoples judgements.

Edited by the_mole

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

GSP's definitely fighting again. He's already started his four months USADA testing, which will neatly be completed just in time for UFC 206 in Toronto in December. It's all lining up.

Georges St-Pierre has to spend four months in the USADA drug-testing pool before a potential return to the Octagon.

The legendary fighter started his testing Aug. 10. The UFC's return to Toronto just so happens to be at UFC 206 on Dec. 10 — four months to the very day.

Coincidence? Probably not. St-Pierre is a massive draw in his native Canada.

"All the stars are aligned, my friend," St-Pierre told MMA Fighting in a phone interview Thursday. "I'm not lying to you, it's not done yet. It's not done at this point. We still have to talk to the new owners soon, see what they've gotta say."

St-Pierre is currently promoting his new film "Kickboxer: Vengeance," which gets released Sept. 2 in the United States. GSP stars in the film alongside the likes of Jean Claude Van Damme, Dave Bautista and Gina Carano.

Soon, though, St-Pierre will be fully focused on training and hammering out a contract with the UFC. His agents at CAA will be sitting down with the UFC's new owners at WME-IMG shortly, he said. Coincidentally, CAA and WME-IMG are competing talent agencies in Hollywood. GSP said the staunch rivalry won't be an issue.

"Conflict is sometimes good," St-Pierre said. "It raises the bar. It's a good thing. Some people might not like what I have to say, but I think it's good."

St-Pierre, 35, says he isn't asking the UFC for "anything extravagant." He believes it's a question of mathematics.

"It's something fair and we have to wait," GSP said. "I'm very well represented. I'm very confident and trusting in the people that work for me. I'm very well taken care of for that. I want to go back to fighting. I don't have to. I would like to, because I feel I'm in my prime right now. I'm the best I've ever been at 35. Right now. I don't want to wait any longer, because if I wait too long I'm gonna be past that prime and I don't want that. This is a good time to be back right now. That's why I want to go back."

St-Pierre, the former longtime UFC welterweight champion, still holds the UFC gate record of $12 million atUFC 129 at Toronto's Rogers Centre. A return to that city in December would make a lot of sense.

It seems like GSP thinks so, too. It's just a matter of hammering out the numbers and putting his signature on the paper.

St-Pierre said he hopes to be back in 2016, for sure.

"It depends on them," said GSP, referring to the UFC. "We put our cards on the table, see what's going to happen. I think my agents are talking to the new owners pretty soon. So we're going to have some news."

He was never a favourite of mine but I always liked GSP and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the lovely bastard since he left the game in 2013. MMA has definitely missed him. Even with the emergence of other stars in his absence like McGregor and Rousey, he left a huge void. His return will be massive to say the least.

I'm still mixed on it just because I felt he probably retired at the right time. He was the champion, arguably the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, maybe the best of all time in MMA, he'd avenged his only 2 losses, wiped out three generations of welterweights and made a shit ton of money. He was also complaining of burnout, collecting injuries and hinting at wanting to pack it all in find a missus and start having babies. It just seemed like the perfect time to get out. No-one ever gets out of MMA or Boxing unscathed and wealthy really, do they? The main one who springs to mind is Lennox Lewis and I've compared him to GSP before.

But in the end, fuck it, he's a grown man and it's his decision. I'm not his dad. And I will be as giddy as everyone else the day it pops up on the MMA news sites and his return is made official and a date and opponent is announced and stuff.

The tail end of 2016 is going to be immense. Between GSP's return, the MSG debut, McGregor's next fight, Nick Diaz's return, possible Rousey and/or Jones returns, Bisping vs Hendo 2 and whatever else they're cooking up...2016 is going to have a more loaded back end than a Kardashian sister.

• Paid Members

Be interesting to see if the clean game has managed to catch up to or even surpass GSP. Welterweight is as stacked as any division the UFC have. I'll tell you what, though, can there be any dispute GSP is the greatest ever if he comes back and wipes out another generation? Particularly this mix of talent.

I'll be proper devastated if he comes back and gets battered.

• Paid Members

If GSP comes back and regains the title, you can basically shut down the GOAT discussion. It's a wrap. The only one who could potentially touch his legacy is Jon Jones and he's such a fuck up that his career's probably going to end in tatters anyway. And I'd have put GSP's legacy over Anderson's anyway but Anderson cemented that by attaching the stench of PEDs to his HOF career.

Basically, GSP is the daddy. For the foreseeable future anyway. I think the man or woman to surpass him is either having a shit in their nappy right now, or they're not even born yet.