ColinBollocks

Bisping is one heck of a salesman. Not only did he sell me on the fight itself, but also his chances of victory. I thought he might have shown a bit of decorum with GSP, and been confident, yet largely respectful. Instead, he barely gave GSP room to breathe. 

It was great stuff. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

The press conference was classic GSP. He's like John Cena, only it works. He's the white meat babyface, always says the right thing, but you can see his eyes light up with delight when he's got a Nick Diaz, a Mike Bisping or a Josh Koscheck to bounce off. He plays his role perfectly. This fight is now easily my most anticipated of the year.

The way he was so coy about his plans afterwards, I think it's pretty obvious Georges wants to fight McGregor. All that talk about the stock market. No-one's stock is higher than Conor's. I think that'll be the biggest fight in company history if it happens. Seems a far more likely fight to bring Conor back to the company, too.

Edited by Supremo

Any doubts or reservations I had toward GSP/Bisping have truly gone out of the window with that press conference. Such an immense clash of personalities and both guys shined in equal parts. I didn't expect Bisping to have such an aggressive approach towards Georges, but whatever he's gone for has worked a charm because it's gotten me incredibly excited for them to fight.

It's so bizzare. Both guys have such jarring ways of speaking and behaving toward one another yet it works perfectly. Can you imagine ANY other fucker on the roster talking the trash that GSP does, and getting away with it?

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

Kind of the same, in truth. Although Bisping and GSP are both good at the hype game, so I expect that to change come fight night.

Turns out, the dynamic worked only one press conference in. In Bisping, GSP has the perfect foil. The fact GSP is so nice about things only enhances Bisping's attacks. 

• Paid Members

I got tired of GSP's plan spiel personally. Stock level this and that.

He mays well say "yes, I'm fucking terrified of Yoel."

I actually found Bisping's gripe with GSP organic to be honest despite prior reservations from myself. There's no doubt GSP thinks Bisping is the easy fight and is the only reason why he's stepping up to middleweight and Bisping should rightfully be pissed off.

I actually found myself really behind Bisping with everything he said. GSP just talked utter shite.

• Paid Members

After watching that I think Bisping came accross the good guy as well, but many won't so it works perfectly. GSP needs a very vocal guy opposite him who likes to trash talk, so the dynamic is great.

Bisping got the fight he wanted and Georges probably got his second choice in the end up. Despite that Bisping will no doubt use the fuel of people taking him lightly and I would expect him to be very impressive when this fight happens. And then 6 weeks later to probably be stood opposite an assassin like Yoel.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Looks like Dana White is trying to force GSP to fight a lot sooner than his "after September" schedule. Apparently, Dana expected the fight to happen for the big July PPV (which makes sense). It's probably no coincidence Dana has said this after Luke Rockhold, Romero and Silva have all basically threatened to either retire or strike, should the division be held up.

Frankly, I think GSP delaying the fight has hurt it massively, as a draw. If it happened, I'm sure it will do fine, but the momentum seems to have been zapped a bit out of the big GSP return.

For the division, it's probably for the best to have Romero murder Bisping and then let GSP decide if he still fancies his chances.

• Paid Members

No way will GSP fancy fighting Yoel. He's way too smart for that. 

Does anyone else think this whole GSP comeback thing has been weird from the off? First, after years of silence GSP suddenly announces he's coming back. Then GSP is saying on UFC Tonight that he's entered into the 4 month USADA testing pool and strongly hints that his return fight will be at UFC 206 in Toronto. Time runs out to get him on 206. All the while Dana is giving us a completely different story and saying he doesn't think GSP is coming back. THEN all of a sudden it's happening, GSP is back and he's fighting Bisping. They want it in July but GSP delays it. Then there's rumours they're lining it up for September's PPV in Canada. And it's delayed again. Dana scraps the whole thing. 

I just find the whole thing very strange. The way GSP and Dana were giving such total opposite versions of the situation, all the delays and we're not even really getting reasons (are we?) for why the delays keep happening. And very little out of Bisping or GSP on it since either. It feels like there's more to it than we're being fed. 

Edited by wandshogun09

GSP wanted to fight in NYC at MSG but that's in November, the Canadian card was in Alberta, if GSP was going to fight in Canada it would be Montreal or Toronto as they are bigger cities.

It might screw Maia if he wins but I would do the Woodley fight, GSP would probably just copy the Rory blueprint on how to beat him.

• Paid Members

UFC 206 was in Toronto. He definitely talked about fighting at 206. Think he started his 4 months USADA testing in August and he was saying the timing would line up conveniently for him to be cleared for Toronto in December. They were still trying to come to terms on a deal then though and timing ran out to get him on 206 and he became a free agent. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Yeah but my point was that Edmonton is not near any major US cities, so people can't just go over the border but Toronto & Montreal are near several big American States and are both bigger cities than Edmonton and I would guess they would want as many people as possible to be able to at least be able to see it and they could sell tickets at a higher prices or Las Vegas that is a town designed for tourists

I'd have thought they would have used a GSP return as the draw for a return to MSG. They'd make an absolute monster live gate off of it.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but you'd have thought that rathar than announce GSP V Bispinf, they could have announced that "GSP will return on this date (whether that is an MSG card or the Toronto show in December) and will face the middleweight champion". That way you've got a definite return for GSP, you don't hold up the division in the meantime and if Yoel were to murder Bisping and GSP tries to cancel/delay the fight you get him on breach of contract

Edited by WyattSheepMask

13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

if Yoel were to murder Bisping and GSP tries to cancel/delay the fight you get him on breach of contract

Why would the UFC go after one of their few proven draws when they’re in desperate need of them? Why would they engage in a course of action that would drive that draw right into the arms of Bellator? Why would they set themselves up to be laughed out of court? Why would they set a very bad precedent in regards to fighters pulling out of fights?

Because GSP shouldn't be in a position where he holds all the cards of being able to just pull out of a fight just because he doesn't fancy it.

I get that he is a big draw, but if he agrees to fight the champion on a particular date, he should be held to that regardless who of who the champion is

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Because GSP shouldn't be in a position where he holds all the cards of being able to just pull out of a fight just because he doesn't fancy it.

I get that he is a big draw, but if he agrees to fight the champion on a particular date, he should be held to that regardless who of who the champion is

Maybe the UFC shouldn't have put GSP in that position in the first place. They’re the ones who gave GSP the power to hold up the division to begin with. Any blame for this ultimately lies with the UFC. They were the ones who agreed to a deal that they didn’t have to. Nobody held a gun to their heads.

There are so many problems with the idea of holding people to fighting on the date they agreed to that I’m not sure where to begin with that one.