ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

The one thing I think GSP has going for him is how cerebral he is was. Since the Serra fight he was always very weary of getting caught so I don't think loss of punch resistance is as big a problem with him.

I do think the current generation would be more competitive but would give him a good shot against any off them. Lawler is probably the only one I would favourite against him.

Also in my eyes he is the GOAT and Ive felt they way since a fight or two before his retirement.

Jones, Anderson and GSP are out on there own in that conversatation but with the PED and in JJ's case bellend stench attached to the other 2 its pretty clear cut for me.

It maybe shouldnt be considered but the fact he is an ideal role model in a sport that will always have a stigma helps is case as well

GSP would be a fucking nightmare for Macgregor. He would time a double leg at the start off each round smothering and exhausting him and likely finishing him late

Edited by ElCece

As much as I like GSP, I haven't really missed him.

McGregor and Rousey made sure that MMA had no shortage of top-line stars.  Also, while GSP was the P4P king, and is the greatest ever (IMO), the talent pool in MMA hasn't suffered as a result of his retirement.  MMA competition at its highest level has existed without him. For example, the Light Heavyweight division produced their best ever talent (Jones, Gusty, Rumble, D.C). The Featherweight division was also full of top-flight fighters (McGregor, Aldo, Edgar, Mendes, etc)

Most of all, under Robbie Lawler's reign, the Welterweight division has been a triumph. Not once during Lawler's duels with Condit, Hendricks and Rory did I ponder - "it would be better with GSP in there"  I was also pleased that GSP "beat the game" so to speak. It seemed that he got out at the right time. As a fan, I was content with what he achieved. The exceptional wins over Penn, Hughes, and Alves ensured that he wouldn't be forgotten in a hurry. 

I guess Welterweight now needs him more than ever. It's a marquee division, and I can't imagine that the UFC would let it to drift into the background. Woodley hardly sets pulses racing as Champion. It's a big gamble, but it would be a lovely moment if GSP came back and beat Woodley for the title. However, I'd hate for him to end up like Anderson Silva.  Don't get me wrong, Silva is still one of the greatest ever, but I have no desire to see him fight ever again. It's no longer a shock when he gets beaten. I wouldn't like GSP to lose that slight air of invincibility. 

• Paid Members

Just thinking about possible opponents for GSP's return fight. And there's quite a few.

Tyron Woodley is surely the most likely. He's a good fighter but he's not going to set the PPV world alight is he? Having his first defence be against a returning superstar in GSP, in Canada, would be a win. If GSP wins, happy days. You've got rid of Woodley as champ and the king is back on the throne. If Woodley beats GSP it's not ideal, but it'd go some way to making him more marketable and giving him credibility as champion.

Conor McGregor is the money fight. This is the one I'd go with. Fuck it. I know McGregor's only just got back in the win column and probably shouldn't ever fuck about at 170 again. And I know GSP's the nightmare style opponent for him. But fuck it. Fuck it all. GSP vs McGregor in Canada would be bananas. And I think it'd be even bigger if they did it as GSP's return than it would be at any other time. It would be mega. It'd mean McGregor vacating the 145 title but I think if they're thinking GSP vs McGregor then they need to pull the trigger while it's there. If they wait and try to build it up then something's bound to fuck it up. A GSP injury, another McGregor contract dispute, Tyron motherfucking Woodley KOing GSP. Shit like that happens in MMA. If GSP vs McGregor is even slightly possible for Toronto in December, they need to go all out to make it happen.

Michael Bisping is a fight GSP has expressed interest in recently. It'd be intriguing with GSP moving up to 185 and going for a second division's UFC title. This one depends on Bisping exorcising the Dan Henderson shaped demon in October first though.

Nick Diaz has dropped GSP's name a couple of times already since his suspension was lifted. It's the least appealing fight of the lot but, even as one sided as the first fight was, you know it'd do big on PPV and, who knows, maybe GSP fancies making an easy few million before taking a riskier fight.

Robbie Lawler is still an option, I guess. It's lost a lot of its shine with Lawler no longer being champion but it'd still be a very interesting clash of styles.

And that Anderson Silva fight is still out there. Unlikely but maybe slightly more likely now than it was in the past. The sparkle has massively come off this one. If it had happened anytime between 2009 and 2012 it would've been huge. A genuine superfight. But I think it's still a fight that would appeal to people now. I think it'd do well on PPV and I actually think the fight itself might be more interesting now in a weird way because of Anderson's decline and GSP's layoff.

#VOTEMCGREGOR

Who would you have him fight first? Have I missed anyone obvious off?

What about Nate Diaz?

Nate is hot property at the moment. He's just headlined two of the biggest shows in UFC history, and came out of them looking like a million bucks. Nate has also inquired about fighting GSP recently. If the 3rd fight with McGregor doesn't happen, and they don't want to give GSP an immediate title shot, a fight with Nate makes sense. 

Although, I am partial to GSP vs McGregor myself. 

Edited by jimufctna24

They announced on the Condit vs. Maia Fight Night that GSP will be a guest on UFC Tonight. Should be very interesting. Not just for what St Pierre has to say, but also for how the UFC employees (show hosts) approach the questioning. It'll probably conflict completely with Dana's attitude and recent comments, so I'm keen for it.

• Paid Members

Im pretty sure hes fighting in Toronto to be totally honest. The only name I would add to that list is Eddie Alvarez as he has expressed interest in dropping to 155 as well and I imagine that would be for the belt.

I wouldnt be at all surprised at him having a tune up fight and I have sneaky feeling they may try to throw a rematch with Hendricks. His on a massive decline so wouldn't be the biggest risk to GSP and they can play on how close there last fight was.

I'm secretly hoping GSP uses UFC tonight to tell Macgregor that " he was not impressed by your performance"

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

Yeah, Nate and Alvarez would be two more options.

Thinking about it, if the champs stay as they are for a bit, and providing GSP hasn't dropped off massively in his downtime, I think the timing could be perfect for GSP to become the first ever UFC 3 division world champion. He's already done 170, obviously. So 185 and 155 titles would do it. And if he's close to his prime form, or even his 2013 form, I could see him beating Bisping and Alvarez for those belts.

I'm getting way ahead of myself but just imagine that, will you? We're already looking at him as the best ever. Imagine if he became the first UFC Triple Crowner on top of what he's accomplished already?! Shit the bed.

I just can't see past the Woodley fight. Both want it and have spoke about it. The timing seems right. Tyron gets his big payday he has been moaning about. GSP can get his title he never lost back.

If Tyron puts the effort in promoting this properly the build up could be fun. Not GSP vs Conor, Diaz bros level I know but Tyron is not bad at trash talking. Build this as brash, cocky, US champion shit talking the Canadian legend out of retirement and Canadians will lap it up.

• Paid Members

The thing that dampens that one though, is that GSP vs Diaz 1 was ridiculously lopsided. Aside from a very brief modestly decent-ish spell for Diaz in the mid rounds, it was basically a 25 minute squash match. And I don't see how a rematch goes much different.

I have no doubt it'd do very well business wise. Even with the first fight being such a one way traffic affair. But the fight itself is probably the least interesting of all the options out there.

Still, the first fight did around a million buys. The combination of the two of them and how polar opposite their personalities are, it'd do well again, I have no doubt. Especially coupled with it being both GSP's and Diaz's return. GSP's a shrewd fuck. Make no mistake the only reason he's mentioning Diaz's name is because he knows it's a fight that brings a huge payday but also offers very little risk. It's the same reason he pushed for the first Diaz fight when Johny Hendricks was clearly the number one contender in 2013. He wants to get those paydays in while they're there. You can't rely on Nick Diaz to stick around. He's a good payday but he either retires or gets suspended for weed after every fight these days. GSP wants to get that coin in the bank before Diaz fucks off again.

• Paid Members

GSP v Diaz 2 does nothing for me, other than it will be nice to see both men get a big pay day.

There is an interesting very public battle going on with GSP and Dana right now. Dana White is basically saying GSP doesn't really want it, but GSP says he's ready for war, only he's wanting his contract to accommodate his sponsors (Under Armour etc) or to make up for the lost revenue.

If GSP comes back and regains the title, you can basically shut down the GOAT discussion. It's a wrap. The only one who could potentially touch his legacy is Jon Jones and he's such a fuck up that his career's probably going to end in tatters anyway. And I'd have put GSP's legacy over Anderson's anyway but Anderson cemented that by attaching the stench of PEDs to his HOF career.

Basically, GSP is the daddy. For the foreseeable future anyway. I think the man or woman to surpass him is either having a shit in their nappy right now, or they're not even born yet.

I believe that man is actually opening up UFC 203 in a fight against Mickey Gall.