ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

At the time the Silva fight was on the cards GSP was becoming the greatest Welterweight champion in history. A reason he didn't want to move up was because he realised packing on weight for one fight, while also looking to defend his title could negatively impact his body and it wasn't worth it, in his quest for greatness. GSP didn't need the fight.

If he wins he doesn't have to try and get down a weight immediately after the fight. To repeat my initial point, GSP has proven he's a game champion, so saying he's suddenly Ric Flair and is looking to avoid defending his title doesn't add up. He's GSP, not some horrible wimp like me.

If I remember rightly, he only fought once or twice after making those statements though Bollocks and then walked away from the welterweight division. It's your choice if you want to buy those reasons, but for me, he never wanted any part of the middleweight division. That's not a knock on him at all, it was completely the right thing to do. He's only 5ft 10 and was getting into wars with far smaller fighters.

On top of that, before announcing this week he was coming out of retirement, he said he was only interested in big fights. He's not expressed an intention of going on a title run and to eventually be fed to a beast like Jacare who pulls in barely any numbers.

With the belt on the line, it's just not right to me. 

• Paid Members

GSP/Silva was rumoured for a few years and, by all accounts, GSP was trying to slowly put on a bit more weight to see if it was possible, but decided against it in the end. You are quite right he didn't want any of the middleweight division because he didn't bother fighting in it - why he didn't isn't just one reason (bigger fighters, weight issues, impacting his athleticism etc). I'm also not disputing that he sees Bisping as a bit of an easy opportunity for a title, but my objection is that he's only turning up to best Bisping, then cowering when Weidman comes along, given his history of defending his belt against all sorts of killers.

Truly, I think he faces the winner of McGregor/Diaz for the middleweight belt next. Needless to say, it's exactly the big match GSP is after.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

then cowering when Weidman comes along, given his history of defending his belt against all sorts of killers.

Truly, I think he faces the winner of McGregor/Diaz for the middleweight belt next. Needless to say, it's exactly the big match GSP is after.

Fair enough regarding the first point, but for his own health's sake, I hope he cowers. 

Regarding that second point, Mcgregor fighting for the middleweight belt is one of the craziest things I've heard in along time regarding MMA. The guy is the featherweight champ!!

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

McGregor is looking to get paid, fellas. Aye, he's Featherweight champ, but a huge one that may or may not fight there again, seeing as the weight cut is so mental. A middleweight has to make 171lbs and McGregor weighed in v Diaz 168lbs. For a one off massive fight v GSP, I'm sure he can put on 3+ lbs.

It depends on several things though. GSP and McGregor have to win (and I think McGregor doesn't) and whether or not McGregor fancies defending his belt. If he decides to defend, then aye, he's obviously his training and weight regime is going to be different.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Bollocks, you've completely got your divisions wrong.

Welterweight is 170llbs. Middleweight is 185llbs, 

I think he means you have to weigh as much as 171lbs to compete as a Middleweight. 

Anyway, I see the winner of Diaz/McGregor 2 meeting the Lightweight Champion. Although regardless of the result, McGregor might go back down to 145lbs, and defend his Championship there. 

• Paid Members

Bollocks, you've completely got your divisions wrong.

Welterweight is 170llbs. Middleweight is 185llbs, 

I think he means you have to weigh as much as 171lbs to compete as a Middleweight. 

Anyway, I see the winner of Diaz/McGregor 2 meeting the Lightweight Champion. Although regardless of the result, McGregor might go back down to 145lbs, and defend his Championship there. 

Ah I see.

Still, we shouldn't be talking about one offs when it comes to title fights in my view, especially when it comes to the crazy thought of Mcgregor, the featheweight champion, fighting for the 185llb belt.

Say if Mcgregor beats GSP somehow at 185llbs. Then what, put him in there with 6ft 4 Luke Rockhold who walks around 215llbs? Mental. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, jim.

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/weight-classes

McGregor or Diaz don't have to hit 185lbs to make the weight to fight GSP at middleweight for the belt. Fighting a Weidman at middleweight would be mental because he's coming into the fight well over 185lbs, but as discussed, GSP is really small for a middleweight himself (height wise, I think GSP is only slightly taller than McGregor, where as Nate is 6 foot). McGregor was only 3lbs off the 171 target, while Diaz was 2lbs off.

GSP fighting McGregor or Diaz for the middleweight belt isn't really that mental.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Where the hell is David when you need him?

A Mcgregor fight at middleweight vs GSP isn't mental CB, because as you say, both guys are similar size, at least height wise. In the end it would be up to them and the promotion if that's what they wanted.

However, a Mcgregor vs GSP for the middleweight title is absolute insanity. 

• Paid Members

I think if GSP vs McGregor ever happens, it'll definitely be at 170. Can't see GSP at 185 being anything more than a one-off thing myself.

It does annoy me though that he's up for it now, when the real superfight - GSP vs Anderson - never happened. I hate that that fight got away. And while GSP played on the size difference stopping that fight, people forget that Anderson was saying he was open to a catchweight of 177-180. Then GSP and Firas Zahabi basically called Anderson's bluff and said the only way the fight would happen would be if Anderson dropped to 170. Anderson then said that that could be possible and he'd be up for trying the cut. GSP and Firas went quiet again after that.

GSP is maybe the greatest MMA fighter ever. And a top bloke with it. But he wanted none of Anderson. Ever. Everything GSP ever said about fighting Anderson, at any weight, was so non-committal but he'd always leave the door just ajar enough that you had some hope it'd happen somehow. Like a really hot girl making you think you might have a shot, all the while knowing she was never in a million years going to let you even touch her knee.

Not calling him a coward. I am calling him a cockteasing bastard though.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Im a huge fan off GSP but I agree he didnt want any off Anderson. Rightfully so hes an average sized WW. Funnily enough if it was at 170 if Anderson managed the cut I actually would of fancied GSP to take him down and win on points.

• Paid Members

That was the thing, I always thought GSP had a good chance of beating Anderson. Even with the size difference, I think GSP could've realistically repeated Chael Sonnen's performance in his first fight with Anderson, but minus the getting caught in a triangle at the end. GSP didn't have the size of Sonnen, but he had the technique and the timing to put Anderson on his back, I think. Plus the grappling intelligence to not fall into a submission from a winning position like Chael did.

As amazing as GSP's legacy is, maybe the best ever, just imagine if he'd been the man to end Anderson's streak as well? Especially as the smaller man! Almost a '32 year old Ali upsetting young beast Foreman' level accomplishment, that.