Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

Bellator Thread - Bellator 225 (Aug 18th)

Rizin vs. Bellator on New Years Eve is what we need.

Like the idea of a live draw and how lots of tournament fights are happening on the same nights, thats how Pride ran their big GP's.

Aye, Coker has been teasing Fedor vs Rampage for the crossover show. With Fedor vs Barnett serving as a back-up plan. There is also talk of a champion vs champion bout between Prochazka and Bader.

Coker explains how the live draw for the FW GP will work at 3:10.

The main card for Bellator 225 on August 18th:

265 lbs.: Matt Mitrione (13-6, 1 NC) vs. Sergei Kharitonov (28-6, 2 NC)

265 lbs.: Timothy Johnson (12-5) vs. Valentin Moldavsky (8-1)
265 lbs.: Vitaly Minakov (21-1) vs. Javy Ayala (11-7)
170 lbs.: David Rickels (21-5, 2 NC) vs. Yaroslav Amosov (21-0)
265 lbs.: Tyrell Fortune (6-0) vs. Rudy Schaffroth (6-0)

It's all about Sergei for me. I'd bloody love it if he beat Meathead and put himself in line for the winner of Bader/Kongo. Elsewhere, Fortune is meant to be one of Bellator's best prospects. I'm looking forward to seeing him fight for the first time. I don't know much about his opponent. The Rickles vs Amosov bout should be interesting as well. 

Tidy show last night. Fortune, Minakov, and Amosov all did the business. However, the real story was Mouthpiece Mitrione joining Werdum, Overeem, Arlovski, and Nelson as victims of the best right-hand in Heavyweight history. 

Sergei is a fighter who missed his window. I am convinced he would have cleaned up in the UFC had he joined the organisation between 2003 and 2007. He matched up perfectly with most of the heavyweights who fought in the UFC during that era. He always had Arlovski's number, Werdum wasn't the finish product during those years, Mir didn't have the cardio or the offensive wrestling to trouble him, and he would have probably come out on top of Big Timmey in a shootout. It's true that Big Nog had him figured out with the dipping job, but the Nog that arrived in the UFC in 2007 was showing signs of decline and frailty after a hard career, and Sergei could very well have caught him. The only heavyweight from the pre-Lesnar/Cain/JDS age who would have given Sergei fits was Couture, who probably had the experience and ability to grapple-fuck him. Sergei's biggest weakness, along with his inability to check leg kicks, is that he's only a moderate grappler. Hence why he fell so easily to Barnett in Strikforce and was subbed by Monson in Dream. 

Today, Sergei plods along. He really only has a decent jab, strong knees/body shots, and his lethal right hand. But as we know, you don't need to be as well-rounded as GSP or Jon Jones to be a player in the heavyweight division. Well-rounded heavies, in the mould of Miocic and Fedor, only come along once in a blue moon. Thus, Sergei's limited game is still enough to put him into title contention in Bellator' heavyweight division. I do think that Minakov, Bader and Kongo would all beat Sergei, but I am still going to enjoy this run he's on while it lasts.

All hail Super Sexy Sergei!

Elsewhere, I didn't realise how many strong prospects Bellator had until I watch this video last week. They could have also talked about Costello van Steenis, who Mousasi claims better than he was in 2009, when Moose was the same age that Steenis is now. 

Edited by jimufctna24