Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Rizin vs. Bellator on New Years Eve is what we need.

Like the idea of a live draw and how lots of tournament fights are happening on the same nights, thats how Pride ran their big GP's.

Aye, Coker has been teasing Fedor vs Rampage for the crossover show. With Fedor vs Barnett serving as a back-up plan. There is also talk of a champion vs champion bout between Prochazka and Bader.

Coker explains how the live draw for the FW GP will work at 3:10.

• 2 weeks later...

The main card for Bellator 225 on August 18th:

265 lbs.: Matt Mitrione (13-6, 1 NC) vs. Sergei Kharitonov (28-6, 2 NC)

265 lbs.: Timothy Johnson (12-5) vs. Valentin Moldavsky (8-1)
265 lbs.: Vitaly Minakov (21-1) vs. Javy Ayala (11-7)
170 lbs.: David Rickels (21-5, 2 NC) vs. Yaroslav Amosov (21-0)
265 lbs.: Tyrell Fortune (6-0) vs. Rudy Schaffroth (6-0)

It's all about Sergei for me. I'd bloody love it if he beat Meathead and put himself in line for the winner of Bader/Kongo. Elsewhere, Fortune is meant to be one of Bellator's best prospects. I'm looking forward to seeing him fight for the first time. I don't know much about his opponent. The Rickles vs Amosov bout should be interesting as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tidy show last night. Fortune, Minakov, and Amosov all did the business. However, the real story was Mouthpiece Mitrione joining Werdum, Overeem, Arlovski, and Nelson as victims of the best right-hand in Heavyweight history. 

Sergei is a fighter who missed his window. I am convinced he would have cleaned up in the UFC had he joined the organisation between 2003 and 2007. He matched up perfectly with most of the heavyweights who fought in the UFC during that era. He always had Arlovski's number, Werdum wasn't the finish product during those years, Mir didn't have the cardio or the offensive wrestling to trouble him, and he would have probably come out on top of Big Timmey in a shootout. It's true that Big Nog had him figured out with the dipping job, but the Nog that arrived in the UFC in 2007 was showing signs of decline and frailty after a hard career, and Sergei could very well have caught him. The only heavyweight from the pre-Lesnar/Cain/JDS age who would have given Sergei fits was Couture, who probably had the experience and ability to grapple-fuck him. Sergei's biggest weakness, along with his inability to check leg kicks, is that he's only a moderate grappler. Hence why he fell so easily to Barnett in Strikforce and was subbed by Monson in Dream. 

Today, Sergei plods along. He really only has a decent jab, strong knees/body shots, and his lethal right hand. But as we know, you don't need to be as well-rounded as GSP or Jon Jones to be a player in the heavyweight division. Well-rounded heavies, in the mould of Miocic and Fedor, only come along once in a blue moon. Thus, Sergei's limited game is still enough to put him into title contention in Bellator' heavyweight division. I do think that Minakov, Bader and Kongo would all beat Sergei, but I am still going to enjoy this run he's on while it lasts.

All hail Super Sexy Sergei!

Elsewhere, I didn't realise how many strong prospects Bellator had until I watch this video last week. They could have also talked about Costello van Steenis, who Mousasi claims better than he was in 2009, when Moose was the same age that Steenis is now. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I still hope we get Sergei in the UFC at some point before he retires. Not that I think he’d be threatening Stipe or anything but just a few fights in the UFC before he calls it a day. There’s fun to be had with Sergei vs the likes of Black Beast, Volkov, Ivanov and that lot. Not to mention a rubber match with Overeem. Wouldn’t mind seeing him iron Greg Hardy out either. And now they’re running shows in Russia it makes even more sense. He’d be ideal as a Fight Night headliner in Russia. Or any European card actually. It’s cool seeing him do his thing in Bellator and maybe he’s better off there but as a fan I’d love to see him have a couple in the UFC before it’s all over. 

Him walloping Meathead made his Bellator signing well worth it for me though. Beautiful. 

I saw earlier that Bellator have officially announced a couple of rematches as well. Rory vs Lima 2 and...err, Roy Nelson vs Frank Mir 2. 

Aye, I'm really looking forward to Lima vs Rory 2. I hope Lima wins this time. 

I get why Coker has booked Mir vs Nelson 2. Both fighters are well-known to casual fans. Mir was a big star during the UFC's first boom period, and Nelson won the highest rated season of TUF. But do I personally want to see them fight one another in 2019? No fucking chance. 

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/8/25/20831851/bellator-225-was-the-most-violent-night-in-major-mma-history

This weekend's Bellator show appears to have been pretty tasty in the end up. Fourteen fights and fourteen finishes. Madness. If you got around to watching it, you got your reward. The highlights (they're in the link) are well worth watching if, like me, you didn't see any of the card.

In other news:

- Former England rugby international James Haskell has signed with Bellator. As I only take a passing interest in Rugby League, and not Union, I am not overly familiar with him. I assume he will have the same role that Herschel Walker had in Strikeforce - a special attraction that fights middling opponents but isn't a serious contender. 

- Costello van Steenis vs John Salter will headline the November 8th show. This is a big test for van Steenis, but it could very well be his coming out party. His most recent win, which was said to be very impressive, was buried on the prelims of the London show in June. 

- Coker is entertaining the idea of Bader defending his light-heavyweight title in December against the winner of Machida/Moose. I really don't want to see Bader vs Mousasi. Not because it isn't an interesting fight per se, but because Bader is a very tough match-up for Moose. I think Bellator should instead give the title shot to Fedor's protege, Vadim Nemkov, who holds recent wins over Davis and McCeary. I understand that Nemkov doesn't have the same name value as Mousasi and Machida, but Bellator could spin it as Nemkov trying to avenge his mentor. 

• Paid Members
On 8/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, jimufctna24 said:

Elsewhere, I didn't realise how many strong prospects Bellator had until I watch this video last week. They could have also talked about Costello van Steenis

Belllator's roster is becoming deceptively deeper. We've discussed it here but the prelims on the shows are becoming loaded with these highlg touted prospects they are signing or other combat sport veterans leaping over. On first glance sometimes the names dont juml out but it if dig into it you find that theres all kinds of interesting and exciting fighters on there. Bellator need to do a better job of promoting them though.

• Paid Members

James Haskell is the guy who used to always be on Beyond The Octagon when BT Sport first got the UFC rights. Seemed a good guy. Didn’t know he was even thinking of actually fighting. Will this be his pro debut?

Little bit of trivia - Haskell is married to Richard and Judy’s daughter Chloe. So we might have  the old whiskey thief Dick Madeley attending Bellator shows soon. 

1D9FA792-6D26-4B64-ACAF-46DF4269EF20.jpeg

• Paid Members

I literally (sorry Redknapp, I'm stealing it from you) had no idea who he was. Even being told what he does and his background etc, the name and the face have no familiarity to me. I assume I have similar feelings to this as a lot of American's would have towards it, with it not registering at all. Basically the same type of reaction as if Bellator had announced some random Major League Baseball or NASCAR star was making their debut on a US card, it wouldn't mean diddly to the majority of us. 

It's a great idea for Bellator though to do this type of thing. Pretty much anybody that follows this guy's career is going to have at least a passing interest in finding out how he got on in his debut. If even somewhere around 1-5 percent of fans of his club (I have no idea how big a following his club would have really) decide to either watch it or spend some money to see him, then it's all a plus. That's not even going into the extra press that they'll pick up, which is much more than they will get for not doing this type of thing. 

Match him well, give him the chance to develop, and it'll probably turn out to be a worthwhile experiment for them. Basically, feed him the guys Jack Swagger has beaten recently, in an "anything you can do I can do better" challenge, and then put Swagger and Haskell together down the line in a boiler room brawl, or a buried alive match or some other suitable type of bout.