Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The top two fights on Bellator are the fights of the weekend for me.

Same with me. 

I don't think the UFC's card this weekend is as bad as some on social media and Sherdog are making out. There are some quality fights on the bill. However, for me, Bellator's stacked main card takes priority. The two feature bouts are ace, and the undercard with two of Bellator's best prospects (McKee and Claxton) and one of the promotion's most interesting attractions (Swagger) supplement them nicely. 

Roll on Saturday night. 

• Paid Members

yeh, ill probably watch the Bellator card as a priority this weekend.

Dunno what to make of T.J. Jones. He literally looks like an everyday bloke they've plucked out of the crowd to take a cage fight, its an odd scene in 2019m He hasnt even attempted to look the part at the press conference but comes across as a humble everyman that happy to have a chance, guy has 6 kids too! he cant be no older than 25...i'll root for the bloke, why not.

Edited by Egg Shen

I'll certainly catch the Bellator card if I have the time, but the idea of watching it over watching the likes of Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Thug Rose and little Nog? Nah, not for me.

Chandler vs Freire will be a decent dust-up for sure, and MVP is usually worth a watch, although his fight with Daley was as disappointing as it comes considering the hype. After that I struggle to recognise anyone bar Jack Swagger.

Bellator is a good shout for a weekend that's light on boxing or UFC, but this isn't such a weekend sadly.

• Paid Members

Yeah I’m with Dave on this one. That Bellator card looks good but even if the actual fights turn out better on Bellator, my mind would be wandering thinking ‘I wonder how Aldo/Anderson got on?’ For me Aldo vs Volkanovski is the fight of the weekend. I fucking love that one on paper. And Rose vs Andrade isn’t far behind. On Bellator it’s mostly Chandler vs Pitbull I’m arsed about.

MVP doesn’t do as much for me as most. I don’t get excited by fighters who do fancy dance moves in the fight but then don’t deliver unless they’re against shite or past it opposition. I’m not on the bandwagon. I get a bit of a tosser vibe off Chandler as well, to be honest. Brilliant fighter but there’s something about him that bugs me. I hope him and MVP get knocked out. It’d be pretty funny if that Shockmaster looking cunt beat Swagger as well. 

I don’t think British based fans are wrong with their calculations if they pick UFC over Bellator. But, ignoring illegal streamers (DAVID), when the choice is 65$ or an existing subscription (or a 20$ new one), I genuinely think that Bellator is the choice this weekend.

Full understand I’m bias as fuck.

Got to do some stuff with Lima and Tywan Claxton tonight. Travelled to the venue with them, and they’re both great dudes.

Lima is a big boxing guy, so was fun to talk with him about Canelo and Golovkin. He doesn’t seem worried about MVP at all, either.

Weigh-ins were great.

MVP/Lima got WWE style dualling chants which was fun, and Chandler and Pitbull is just too tense 😥

• Paid Members

yeh cracking weigh-in between those too.

I think Lima destroys MVP. I think he just secures some kind of body lock, drags it to the floor and smashes him on the ground.

Great input daz! (gave you a follow on instagram too)

MVP decided to be Scorpion at the weigh-in:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, Lima could catch him on the feet and he definitely schools him in the grappling. If you’re getting outwrestled by Paul Daley then you’re pretty well fucked if Douglas Lima takes you down. He won’t have become Demian Maia since February and I doubt his silly dancing will work against Lima. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Got to do some stuff with Lima and Tywan Claxton tonight. Travelled to the venue with them, and they’re both great dudes.

just caught Claxtons scrum on MMAjunkie, real likeable character. Guys got his head screwed on correctly.

Yeah, and he's a real athlete. Big dude for his weight class, too.

I think Claxton, Tyrell Fortune, AJ McKee (to an extent) and Dillon Danis are the next wave of blue chip talents who will take the places on future cards that Chandler, Pitbull, Lima and MVP are in tomorrow.

Wow. 

Not many expected Pitbull to win that fight. Out of the 16 fighters and trainers interviewed by Sherdog, 13 picked Chandler, 2 remained neutral, and only 1 picked Pitbull. Chandler was the much bigger man. The Lima knockout was brutal. Before the knockout, I felt MVP was getting the better of the striking exchanges and was perhaps on his way to pulling off a mild upset. I am sure Wand will be rewatching the knockout over and over. Elsewhere, Claxton looked the business and the Hager fight was what it was. 

Overall, I felt the main card delivered.