Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Not gutted. Our LeBron is 4-3 and just got KO’d twice in a row, that’s all. I’m just waiting to be told again how Pico is the future champion, the face of MMA and looks like a world champion level boxer. 

A4C7E49D-3B98-483F-9CB7-2DCF25CEB1A8.gif

• Paid Members

On that hilarious "he's our LeBron" Fight Companion, right after Pico got twatted, Schuab was saying all Pico had to do was stay in his lane and wrestle and he'll have no problems beating everyone. Of course, Pico tried to wrestlefuck here and still got twatted. More Sage than LeBron.

Good call from Chael. He made some good money getting battered in Bellator, but he's really not got anything left. Plus, he's got that nice ESPN gig, which you assume will maybe see him getting more UFC time now his Bellator contract is up.

• Paid Members

I was chuffed Horiguchi went 2-0 over Caldwell. Especially with how Ranallo and McCarthy (more McCarthy) were blatantly rooting for Caldwell on the commentary. I know he was the ‘Bellator guy’ in there but fuck sake. How many excuses did they have for Caldwell losing the first fight? ‘Oh but it was in Japan. He wasn’t used to fighting in a ring. He couldn’t use elbows. He made a mistake in the third round.’ Then jizzing over Caldwell’s height and reach advantage. And the end result was Horiguchi going 2-0, winning both the home and away games and coming out with all the gold. 

C89-B0-DD0-A176-438-F-A842-BB4-DC7-A958-

Deal with it. 

I would really like to see Horiguchi vs Mighty Mouse 2 at some point. Horiguchi has matured a lot since they first met in 2014. He’s had 5 years of winning, taking belts, facing and conquering different styles, improving in all areas and gaining experience. I think he’s the toughest challenge out there for DJ at the moment but it depends if DJ would be interested in moving up to 135. It probably won’t happen for a little while yet because DJ’s wrapped up in this flyweight tournament in ONE, but it’s a rematch I’d love to see down the line. 

The Chael send-off was nice. He’s been done as an in-cage attraction for a long time now for me. I enjoyed the whole thing with him and Fedor and some of the Wanderlei stuff but in truth, the last time I really got a kick out of Chael was the early stages of the buildup to the Jon Jones fight. The fight itself was never going to be competitive but the way Chael went in on Jones after the cancellation of UFC 151, it was shaping up to be the most fun buildup to a fight ever. Then they started filming TUF and Chael realised he liked Jones and it fizzled out fast. I never really got into him as much after that. He had his moments but the Anderson feud is what I’ll always remember him for. 

Over the last 5 or 6 years it’s been his pundit work I’ve enjoyed most about him anyway so I’m looking forward to seeing more of him in that role. Like Jim says, hopefully he gets more work on the UFC shows as well with the ESPN link. He’s insanely charismatic. It shows you how likeable he is that so many people are willing to overlook and forget his past with PEDs. It’s almost like none of that even happened now whereas most fighters would be crucified for doing half the shit Chael did. 

5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I was chuffed Horiguchi went 2-0 over Caldwell. Especially with how Ranallo and McCarthy (more McCarthy) were blatantly rooting for Caldwell on the commentary. I know he was the ‘Bellator guy’ in there but fuck sake. How many excuses did they have for Caldwell losing the first fight?

Big John did become more critical of Caldwell as the fight progressed. In fact, he scored rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5 to Noriguchi based on the work he was doing while pushed up against the fence. Others online saw things differently. The Bloody Elbow play by play scored rounds 1, 2, 3 and 4 to Caldwell based on control. I don't get how they scored round 3 to Caldwell. That was arguably Horiguchi's best round. 

21 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Big John did become more critical of Caldwell as the fight progressed. In fact, he scored rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5 to Noriguchi based on the work he was doing while pushed up against the fence. Others online saw things differently. The Bloody Elbow play by play scored rounds 1, 2, 3 and 4 to Caldwell based on control. I don't get how they scored round 3 to Caldwell. That was arguably Horiguchi's best round. 

I appreciate knowing the rules that apply to a given event can be difficult due to them varying depending on which state it's in and so on, but the Bloody Elbow are wrong in their scoring criteria. Here are the New York State Athletic Commission's rules that cover MMA.

https://www.dos.ny.gov/athletic/pdfs/Official - NYS Athletic Commission.pdf

The relevant parts for scoring are:

(c) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, and effective aggressiveness and defense.
(d) Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in paragraph c above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, and effective aggressiveness and defense.
(e) Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal strikes landed by a contestant.
(f) Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard. 
(g) Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler’s attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking, taking down an opponent to force a ground fight, creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.
(h) Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.
(i) Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks. 

As can be seen from (e), there's not even a requirement for a strike to be significant or damaging for it to be scored for effective striking, it's simply the total number of strikes landed. And as per (c) and (d) effective striking scores higher than control of the fighting area, it's incorrect to score a round for Caldwell if he takes Horiguchi but does nothing except lie there while Horiguchi punches him, as that doesn't score for effective grappling per (f) other than for the initial takedown.

Early heads up for this weekend's card. The first hour of the main card is on Sky Sports Action at 9pm. The rest is on Channel 5 from 10pm onward. 

Mousasi has prepared for this weekend's fight by bringing Reinier De Ridder into his camp. Ridder is an undefeated Dutch prospect who is of similar stature to Lovato. While Lovato is undefeated and a BJJ whizz, Mousasi doesn't seem to think that his wrestling will trouble him. The pros that have been interviewed about the fight almost unanimously with Mousasi. Out of the interviews I have watched, only Ricardo Lamas has picked Lovato to win. 

There is always a worry that Mousasi will go missing on fight night. But since he made substantial changes to his training regime after the Jacare loss. that has stopped happening for the most part. He's gone 10-1 since 2014. The sole loss came to Uriah Hall in a fight that he was dominating before getting caught with a spinning back kick and a flying knee. He rematched Hall a year later in Ireland and stopped him within a round. He's mostly dominated the rest of his opponents. The only rounds he's lost was the opening round against Weidman, before he stopped him with knees in the second frame, and the final round against Shlemenko where he fought with a broken orbital bone. 

Mousasi claims that he will retire after his current Bellator contract expires. He's still entertaining super fights with Bader and the winner of the WW GP. I don't like how he matches up with Bader, and a rematch with Rory does little for me. I would, however, be very interested in a Mousasi vs Lima fight. It's also possible that he'll rematch Machida at 185lbs. Although, I expect that Mousasi will only sign to fight Machida if certain assurances on drug testing are met. Mousasi swears that Machida was on steroids when they fought in 2014. He's wary of fighting those who he have failed drug tests in the past. As an example, he demanded that Shlmenko be tested rigorously before their fight.

Obviously, Lovato could throw a spanner in the works this weekend. But, for reasons mentioned, I am quite confident that Mousasi will prevail. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
On 6/16/2019 at 6:43 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Here’s a nice story from over the weekend about Douglas Lima. He’s one of those guys who’s always struck me as a good egg and apparently he is; 

B22745FB-4023-4359-B7C8-87276A2E12C2.jpeg

yeh, in an ideal world Douglas Lima would be a star wouldnt he? I love the bloke.

I see him utterly wrecking Rory in the rematch too.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Early heads up for this weekend's card. The first hour of the main card is on Sky Sports Action at 9pm. The rest is on Channel 5 from 10pm onward. 

yeh, weird one. Gallaher/Labiano, Daley/Silva are on the Sky bit.

• Paid Members
On 6/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Not gutted. Our LeBron is 4-3 and just got KO’d twice in a row, that’s all. I’m just waiting to be told again how Pico is the future champion, the face of MMA and looks like a world champion level boxer. 

The Pico case is pretty fascinsting. They've tried to Lomachenko it with him but its backfired in spectacular fashion. They've just stuck him in at a level that his level of experience is not ready for. Even after being starched by Corrales they threw him in with another of Bellator's top propsects in Boric. Pico claims its because no one lower level will accept the fight but i find that hard to believe.

Bellator dont have a lot of luck with these experiment type deals. Heather Hardy has been another bust despite her marketability, she looked bad on Saturday night. Could throw Aaron Chalmers in there too. They come in so hyped and from an unusual backgrounds that it just leads them to massive scrutiny when they lose. 

• Paid Members

It seems everyone bought into the Pico hype too much. Bellator treating him like young Jon Jones rather than what he is etc. I think Pico can come good but there needs to be a serious adjustments in expectation from everyone involved. Pico maybe does look great in training, but it's yet to matter much come fight night, which is partly because of his inexperience, chin and hubris. Certainly maybe give him a chance to not get sparked out in his next match.

Coker isn't perfect. I learnt recently that part of the reason why Strikeforce was sold all those years ago was because Coker overspent on Fedor and Hendo. Jordan Breen also made the point this week that some of Bellator's prospects are under-promoted (the Fortune brothers being the most notable example).

However, he does have a lot of qualities as a promoter. For one, he's meant to be easy to deal with. Most fighters have nothing but nice things to say about him. He's also very open to cross-promotion deals, and as Ebb said above, he isn't afraid to experiment with what most would consider to be novelty performers. The latter experiments sometimes pay off (Herschel Walker, Gina Carano, etc), and sometimes don't (Heather Hardy, etc). 

I would be a happy man if Bellator can reach the heights that Coker's Strikeforce promotion attained from 2009-2011. There were periods during that timeframe where I honestly preferred Strikeforce to the UFC as an overall package. Their main cards were often stacked, and their shows usually delivered inside the cage. Their commentary team was often a bit muddled, but Showtime's production and video packages were fantastic. I was gutted when they sold up in the Spring of 2011. 

Here's hoping that Coker works his magic again.

Edited by jimufctna24