Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah that was ridiculous. He’s always been a flash bastard hasn’t he? This is the one I always remember when his name crops up;

8219657F-2B5F-463C-B022-9DAE96682713.gif

Daniels is amazing to watch. Hes gotta be getting up there in age but i hope Bellator match him correctly. He could be a bit of a Cung Le style fighter for them.

• Paid Members

looking it up, he did! he went 0-1 in Strikeforce losing by submission 11 years ago. Im sure Bellator advertised it as his MMA debut.

Daniels is 39 years old so his self life is short. Some fun fights to be had though.

I think i prefer Bellators roster to the UFC now. Bellator seem to embrace the speciality type fighters, theres lots of high level guys from specific disciplines going into Bellator and they get spotlight positions, it all feels abit more old school and love it. Greg Hardy (sporting achievement only) would have been a much better fit for Bellator.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

looking it up, he did! he went 0-1 in Strikeforce losing by submission 11 years ago. Im sure Bellator advertised it as his MMA debut.

Daniels is 39 years old so his self life is short. Some fun fights to be had though.

I think i prefer Bellators roster to the UFC now. Bellator seem to embrace the speciality type fighters, theres lots of high level guys from specific disciplines going into Bellator and they get spotlight positions, it all feels abit more old school and love it. Greg Hardy (sporting achievement only) would have been a much better fit for Bellator.

I certainly prefer Bellator's schedule and presentation. I have the dates of the next three Bellator shows locked into my head. It's much easier to follow than the UFC. It also helps that SKY Sports and CH5 share the rights to Bellator. For me, that's made the promotion more accessible. 

It's near impossible for MMA fans to dismiss the UFC though (not that you did). Bellator's roster is arguably more fun, for the reasons you mentioned. I will also add that my favourite fighter is currently signed to Bellator and is arguably a match for the UFC's top middleweights. However, the UFC still have the vast majority of the world's best fighters under contract. I'm not missing DC vs Miocic, Khabib's return, Whittaker vs Stylebender, etc. Those fights are essential viewing for MMA fans.

I am certainly becoming more of a Bellator guy than a UFC guy. I was the same for a period in the early 2000s with Strikeforce (a promotion I adored). But Dana's promotion can, sadly, never be fully ignored. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Slightly swearier than my posts usually are last night, German beer had nothing to do with it. I promise.

I did see Michael Chandler, though, and he looks great. I can't see Pitbull having too much for him.

These next 2 DAZN cards, for me, are a bit of a coming out party for Bellator - they've got strong main events in their own right, but they've actually got big fights throughout. This weekends card has the Hager return, Aj McKee (who i'm super high on) vs Pat Curran, Lima vs MVP and Chandler vs Pitbull. 

What I like most about the card this weekend is that all the marketable talent haven't come via the UFC. This is a big card in its own right, and it's not reliant on the UFC star power.

Obviously June is very different, but Heather Hardy, Dillon Danis, Horiguchi vs Caldwell, MacDonald vs Gracie and Lyoto vs Chael is a stacked card.

UFC is always going to be the gold standard, the monopoly, but Bellator have quietly built one of the more balanced rosters in the sport. Over the next 2 shows they're really playing their whole hand - here's a huge night with our blue chip talent and here's one with some UFC names. With some luck, and some great fights, I think Bellator could be in a really good place in 2020.

Looking forward to the weigh-ins. Chandler and the Pitbull family really don't like each other.

Some of the promo work for this fight, by both Bellator and us, has been pretty good -

...Is there a more primal moment in MMA than Chandler knocking Patricky out cold, jumping on the cage and threatening to kill Patricio to his face? I mean.. seriously. That's tough.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

T.J Jones was a rockstar at the press conference, though. He had some great lines, and was having a lot of fun.

I had Robin Black, who i bring to the fights for DAZN, interview him and he said his strategy was to 'knock him out' and when Robin asked how he intended to do it he said 'by putting my knuckles on his chin'. Fair enough, man.

He also had the best line of the press conference: 'i'm honoured to sit up here with all this world class talent...and Jake Hager.'

Fun press conference. Lima/MVP is so muted because I think MVP is wary of having to eat his words, but Chandler/Pitbull is next fucking level. The room collectively gasped when Pitbull just nonchalantly said he was going to kill Chandler... and then again when he said it about AJ McKee. 

• Paid Members

Noticed there was no gamesmanship at the face offs from MVP, that tells me hes either deadly serious or hes abit worried about tomorrow night. The top two fights on Bellator are the fights of the weekend for me.