Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Couple of pages back on one of the threads, might be this one tbf, mentioned the banner double the size of that in London they've got.

Kimbo is a name people recognise so it's worth having him as a poster boy here.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's not so strange. I often see concerts etc advertising for different cities, especially if the event is a big one.

Yeah, it's fairly common. I remember when the UFC came over in 2007 for the first time in years. They had UFC 70 in Manchester and I vividly remember there were posters on bus stops and on the side of buses around my neck of the woods in Birmingham. Warmed my heart seeing Cro Cop's face going past on the side of the 97 bus.

• Paid Members

Couple of pages back on one of the threads, might be this one tbf, mentioned the banner double the size of that in London they've got.

Kimbo is a name people recognise so it's worth having him as a poster boy here.

Yeah, spotted it in Aldgate the day after they announced the show.

Just caught up with the last Bellator. I actually think it's a good result for them. Bendo can go down a weight class now and brush the loss off as a weight class thing, meanwhile Koreshkov has been made to look like a beast.

Sergei kharitonov is on the Davis-King Mo card.

He seems to be taking it seriously, training at Kings MMA but I wonder what If they are just concentrateing on their stand up when it's Sergei's ground game that needs work after his last few loses.

Josh Thomson is off the card would Benson Henderson risk another loss? So soon, I'm guessing they keep Chandler on the card.

Edited by the_mole

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Bellator London card is near enough full, it lines up like this:

Heavyweight Main Event: Kimbo Slice (6-2) vs. James Thompson (20-16)

Welterweight Co-Main Event: Josh Koscheck (17-10) vs. Paul Daley (38-13-2)

Welterweight Bout: Michael Page (9-0) vs. Fernando Gonzalez (25-13)

Light Heavyweight Bout: Linton Vassell (16-5) vs. Francis Carmont (24-11)

Heavyweight Bout: Mark Godbeer (11-2) vs. James Mulheron (8-1)

Preliminary Card:

Middleweight Bout: Michael Shipman (8-1) vs. Chris Widmer (5-1)

Flyweight Bout: Pietro Menga (12-0) vs. Spencer Hewitt (12-10)

Bantamweight Bout: Luiz Tosta (9-2) vs. Dean Garnett (7-0)

Middleweight Bout: Jason Radcliffe (8-2) vs. Jack Mason (29-15)

Featherweight Bout: Chase Morton (6-2) vs. Nathaniel Wood (8-3)

Middleweight Bout: Alex Reid (11-9-1) vs. TBD

Middleweight Bout: Bola Omoyele (8-4) vs. Lee Chadwick (21-12-1)

Middleweight Bout: C.J. Meeks (4-1) vs. Danny Mitchell (17-7-1)

i have mixed feelings, as a bit of a die-hard Bellator supporter and someone who follows the UK game as best i can, it's a real solid card. You have a quality looking Bellator main card, then a solid looking UK MMA card underneath. It doesn't really look like a the kind of card that justifies it's place in the o2 though, The Kimbo thing is an obvious attraction, as is the Koscheck/Daley rematch, chuck in the the Seni being on the same weekend will likely mean they shift a good amount of tickets but i feel Bellator might overestimate the pulling power of it's top UK fighters.

Regardless, i'll be tuning in on the night! I'm still hoping it's on live, it has to be right?

oh, and let's not forget the return of this man:

alex-reid.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I imagine the tv deal will somehow include the Reid fight. Maybe they'll do prelims on Spike then the main card on 5?

Bellator 155 is tonight, the main card is a lot stronger than last weeks show, the main event should be a bit of a barnburner, would love to see Manheof win his first major title.

Rafael Carvalho vs. Melvin Manheof - Middleweight Title

Pat Curran vs. Georgi Karakhanyan

Dan Charles vs. Augusto Sakai

Chase Gormley vs. Joey Beltran

Marloes Coenen vs. Alexis Dufresne

Dave Jansen vs. Marcin Held

Spike prelims and 5 main card is already a done deal here Ebb, remember that being confirmed when they announced the O2. 

I get what you mean though about the card being decent, but other than maybe Kimbo and Daley (Who really IMO you've still got to know your MMA if you wanna know them) there's nothing to me that really is gonna draw the masses to that show. It's a solid British card featuring a lot of decent British MMA fighters, but they're just not anywhere the likes of Bisping in drawing power. 

I think MVP is highly marketable, his opponents have been weak but there is a lot of highlight stuff there, even just his Bellator stuff.

With it being a Tent Pole event they might have a countdown show and with it being live over here they might put it on our Spike TV.

Edited by the_mole