Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Looks like theve stopped selling tickets in the top tier for the bellator show in london

https://axsmobile.eventshopper.com/mobileshopper/index.html

Either shuting the whole section,moving the people who have brought tickets in there to the bottom tier or they have just stopped selling tickets.

Anyone know if the card has been finalised? Did they find an opponent for Thompson?

Edited by bono

Matt Matrione Vs Oli Thompson, although Meat head has still to be seen by the doctor's but they did a thing in the cage together.

Lennox Lewis was there presumably to promote the O2 card, said he will be there, they are probably paying him to promote it, which kind of makes sense.

• Paid Members

Fuck me this London show is dieing in its arse by the minute. So dissapointng.

Mitrione vs Thompson is actually a decent addition to the card and the best they could really hope for. I still think it's a good card. 

This looks like the final card,take it they didnt find james thompson a fight? Doesnt have the big name like a kimbo or koscheck but still a very good card,espically the main card. Looking forward to my weekend in london now

(Spike TV)

Paul Daley vs. Douglas Lima

Michael Page vs. Evangelista Santos

Linton Vassell vs. Francis Carmont

James Gallagher vs. Mike Cutting

Matt Mitrione vs. Oli Thompson

Preliminary card (MMAMad.com)

Neil Grove vs. James Mulheron

Bola Omoyele vs. Lee Chadwick

Alex Reid vs. Manuel Garcia

Mike Shipman vs. Curtis Widmer

Pietro Menga vs. Spencer Hewitt

Luiz Henrique Tosta vs. Dean Garnett

Jason Radcliffe vs. Jack Mason

Chase Morton vs. Nathaniel Wood

CJ Meeks vs. Danny Mitchell

• Paid Members

i don't see why they didn't do James Thompson/Neil Grove 2?

The actual card is solid, the main card is well worth tuning in for. The loss of Koscheck and of course Kimbo were big blows as they were the 'attractions' on the show, but what we're left with is fight for fight a better card. Daley/Lima is about as a good a 170lb fight you're gonna find outside the UFC.

The whole thing proves why Bellator's business model works though. Many people slag off the 'freak show' element (Kimbo/Thompson) or showcase approach (Koscheck/Daley) but since those fights fell off the buzz on this show slowed down and lots of people are writing the show off before it's happened.

The Gallagher/Cutting fight had me scratching my head as i've never heard of either guy but turns out Gallagher is some SBG prospect, Bellator must be wanting to shine a light on him.

Finally caught up on Dynamite!

* I scored it 29-28 for Ishii. Whoever scored it 30-27 for Rampage needs to go under investigation, that's as poor a scorecard as you'll ever hear. Nobody on earth could have scored that first round for Rampage, it's impossible.

Not a great fight, but it was always gonna go that way if Ishii had his way. Rampage moaned but that's standard behaviour these days. Rampage needs to select his fights carefully.

* Bellator messed up by not including Schilling/Kato 2 on the main card. Kato wins this time via spinning back-fist, incredible. This thing was set up for Schilling to get revenge and he got flatlined again. Amazing.

* Michael Chandler, KO's don't get much cleaner than that. The faceoff with Pitbull's little bro afterwards was pure moments that pro wrestling attempts to capture, one of those organic moments you just can't scrip any better.

* Matt Mitrione really should be 0-1 in Bellator, Seumanutafa had him beat, he was KO'd but following him to the ground allowed Mitrione to recover, crazy. People need to take note from Mark Hunt. A similar thing happened in the last Joanne Calderwood fight.

• Paid Members

The whole thing proves why Bellator's business model works though. Many people slag off the 'freak show' element (Kimbo/Thompson) or showcase approach (Koscheck/Daley) but since those fights fell off the buzz on this show slowed down and lots of people are writing the show off before it's happened.

Yes and no really Egg. Whilst the freak element got people talking, there's only a certain amount of freaks out there now. 

When those top of the card do fall out, it leaves them exposed if they aren't building stars of their own. 

However, with that freak show element no longer there, we may finally see the big rise of Michael Page?

He's finally got a step up competition and if he can do what he's done to Santos (despite coming off a loss) that he's done to previous opponents we could see a big star born that night.

• Paid Members

I agree, i love to see the real talents get to showcase their skills under the spotlight. The freakshow/showcase element sprinkled in though works, it's proven. It's all about finding the right balance.

It's a shame Bellator lost a couple of the fights because it has harmed the interest going despite the actual card ending up stronger than it ever was.

• Paid Members

I hope Coker's learned his lesson about the freakshow fights, though, and doesn't make the mistake of blowing the whole load by having two of them on the card next time. As you say, lamby, there are only a few of those left now, so he needs to be economical with them to get the most value out of them. Should've kept Shamrock/Gracie back for this show.

• Paid Members

Why? At the time Kimbo was booked as was Daley/Kos 2.

Sticking Shamrock and Royce on there too would have done the very thing you're advising against.

Unless you think they should matchmake based on who could die next, which is insane.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Sticking Shamrock and Royce on there too would have done the very thing you're advising against.

Unless you think they should matchmake based on who could die next, which is insane.

Sadly, looking at who they've been booking, it's not such a terrible approach. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

You misunderstand me - I'm saying they should have held it back for this event just in case Kimbo had to pull out, which, given the state that people knew he was in (not the state it later emerged he was in), would have been somewhat of a likelihood.

Either way, it's a match they should have held back on to use at a later date on another show as a main.

Edited by Carbomb