Egg Shen

Bellator Thread - Bellator 219 (March 30th)

Barnett was hinting on Helwani’s show that he’ll be on the London card. Maybe they go Barnett vs Meathead in London and Fedor vs Nelson in New York. Or both at MSG. Or whatever. 

17 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I would be up for Fedor vs Barnett, Fedor vs Rampage or Fedor vs Sergei. But I guess Bellator might match Fedor up with Nelson, or have him fight Meathead again. 

If they're going to use Fedor they need to stop pitting him against younger guys who can take him out. He's at the stage where it has to be "attraction" bouts against the likes of Rampage or Barnett.

I have zero interest in seeing Fedor get flattened by Meathead or Nelson either.

Yeah same. When Fedor signed with Bellator it was those kind of fights I hoped we’d get. Fading legends and name from the same era. Rampage, Wanderlei, the Cro Cop rematch, Mir, Chael. Of course, Cro Cop isn’t an option now but that kind of fight. I made no secret at the time that I hated the Meathead booking. The Bader fight had to happen as it came about through them both advancing in the tournament but I was down on that as well because I just knew how it was most likely to end. 

Fedor vs Barnett would be cool to see though. Even all these years later, a good decade after it was meant to happen in Affliction, it’s a big fight for Bellator. Probably bigger than anything else they could book for either man right now. 

Seeing as we haven't seen much of him recently, just how "shot" is Barnett, though? From what I understand, he's not exactly gone the way of BJ Penn yet - still comparatively competitive, no?

10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Seeing as we haven't seen much of him recently, just how "shot" is Barnett, though? From what I understand, he's not exactly gone the way of BJ Penn yet - still comparatively competitive, no?

He went 3-2 in his UFC stint, beating the likes of Arlovski and Big Country and his fantastic punch-the-air in celebration win over Mir.

I don't think he's shot by any stretch really, and could probably still be top ten today.

Yeah I wouldn’t say he’s shot. He might be rusty though but his inactivity before and after that whole USADA mess might’ve actually preserved him and we might actually be getting a fresher, healthier Barnett as a result now. If he’d fought 2-3 times a year over the last 5 years who knows what damage he’d have taken by now. It’s probably worked out for the best because while I don’t think he’d hang with the very top of the UFC’s heavyweight division now, he probably does well outside the UFC and he’ll also have more freedom to do the other million and one things he does away from the cage without being restricted by being a UFC emplo...sorry, independent contractor. 

Did anyone catch that Bloodsport thing Barnett was doing last night? Apparently they had a Frank Mir vs Dan Severn pro wrestling match on there. 

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Did anyone catch that Bloodsport thing Barnett was doing last night? Apparently they had a Frank Mir vs Dan Severn pro wrestling match on there. 

They did indeed. I wouldn't call it a pro wrestling match though. It was two old guys rolling around on the mats for a few minutes before Mir tapped him with a kneebar.

He then decided to grab the microphone and call out Brock, prompting "sign him up Regal" chants - but that's another tale altogether.

very much feels like just ticking a box to say they've done it at this point, its two names though so it makes sense business wise.