Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

And you think that's based on the headliner being a relatively unknown kid who's 7-1 and got sparked in his last fight? Come on Ebb, he may try to emulate McG, but he's not selling out events on his own name quite yet.

Maybe not, but Bellator putting him in that slot clearly show they have some faith in him and believe he has the ability to carry an event. If they didn't someone else would be headlining it wouldn't they? 

46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Maybe not, but Bellator putting him in that slot clearly show they have some faith in him and believe he has the ability to carry an event. If they didn't someone else would be headlining it wouldn't they? 

Look at the rest of the card mate, it's piss poor. Headlining that event is hardly a huge show of faith, it's the fact that he's Irish. I'm surprised they haven't given @Keith Houchen a shout due to his Irish heritage and offered him a slot on the prelims yet.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, David said:

Look at the rest of the card mate, it's piss poor. Headlining that event is hardly a huge show of faith, it's the fact that he's Irish. I'm surprised they haven't given @Keith Houchen a shout due to his Irish heritage and offered him a slot on the prelims yet.

ok, take Gallagher out of that main event, do you think the event still sells out?

• Paid Members

well, maybe the reports are full of shit? 😄 im only going off what ive read/heard.

As for the arena, i think thats just how they have to set up based on the shape of the venue. Its a similar set up when Cage Warriors runs in Newport. Its shaped more like a theatre than a sport venue.

the-o2-arena-dublin-seating-plan-02-Best

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, David said:

Haven't you answered your own question? He's headlining a smaller level show in Ireland. It's not like he's headlining one of their big cards in the US.

Personally, based on what I've seen of him on Bellator shows, I find him to be an immensely unlikeable Connor tribute act. Wouldn't mind seeing him get beat at all. 

Edited by Chunk

• Paid Members

Gallagher's a strange one because he's clearly very aware that the schtick sells. Its working for him, he gets lots of press and now he is headlining Dublin events despite being relatively inexperienced. The general feel is though that away from the cameras hes a real good kid who's just trying to play the game and make a name for himself. Did anyone catch his Helwani interview after his defeat? came off great in that, very much aware that fans and other fighters had their daggers out ready to pounce once he'd lost.

• Paid Members

fair enough, we'll have to guage the reaction on Saturday night.

He might not be a household name in the grand scheme of things, but the potential to be is huge and that's why hes in that position. Remember, when Bellator ran in New York they streamed Gallaghers fight exclusively live in Ireland due to the demand to see him fight, this Saturdays show is also on Sky due to the Irish demand (Ireland dont get Channel 5), also things like post-loss he gave a 40 minute sit down interview with Ariel, that kind of stuff doesn't happen to anyone who isnt shifting numbers and generating interest.