Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I actually think that loss will end up being a good thing for him. I know that sounds weird and a loss is never good but he came in with so much hype, I think losing in his MMA debut and getting that first loss out of the way took a lot of the pressure off him in a fucked up way. And he’s gone from strength to strength since. There’s been a few cases of fighters in the past losing their MMA debut and going on to do great things. Sakuraba, Cyborg, Jacare, Mark Hunt and Rafael Dos Anjos all lost their MMA debuts. Everyone was sucking Pico off before he ever set foot in a cage for a pro fight. Losing his debut will probably have served as a valuable lesson that it can happen to anyone, at any level in this crazy game of MMA. It probably gave him just enough of a humbling to be a positive but also just enough edge to never want to taste defeat again. 

I like how Bellator are moving him along gradually. It would’ve be cool to do the Freeman rematch if Freeman had gone on a bit of a run after beating Pico but, like Egg said, it didn’t work out and Pico’s probably already passed that level now. I mean, does anyone remember Adriano Abu now? He’s the guy who spoiled RDA’s debut. How about Erica Paes who subbed Cyborg in under 2 minutes in her debut? Nah, me neither. It would still be nice if Pico gets to avenge that loss at some point but as long as he keeps winning, that Freeman loss will get more and more blurry and distant in the memory. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bellator returning to Israel on Friday night, pretty solid card for an overseas affair as well:

22QjMFo.jpg

Patricio Pitbull vs. Emmanuel Sanchez - Featherweight Title Fight

Haim Gozali vs. Ryan Couture

Phil Davis vs. Vadim Nemkov

Olga Rubin vs. Cindy Dandois

Kirill Sidelnikov vs. Adam Keresh

its a mixed bag but its hold my interest.

Pitbull/Sanchez - is a proper die hard Bellator fan title fight. Sanchez is very deserving of a shot, hes foughts a whos who in the promotion and has only lost twice to top guys. A proper workhorse that usually grinds out a decision, hes been finishing guys of late though. Pitbull blows hot and cold but is always dangerous. Outside of Pitbull knocking Sanchez out im fancying a title switch.

Gozali/Couture is a weird one. Gozali is an MMA pioneer in Israel, hes old as fuck but hes suspect at the the same time. He's 2-2 in Bellator, with his two wins coming quickly in Israel...one of which im conviced was a work. Couture has beaten Gozali before in Bellator so the rematch here is a bit odd, im keeping my eye on this for anything fishy going down. Gozali by worked sub.

Davis/Nemkov is a legit 205lb fight with title intentions. Phil Davis could have been a superstar, his ability to have a shit fight with anyone has made people lost interest, he keeps winning though and outside of a title loss has won 6 fights in Bellator. Nemkov is a Russian Sambo fighter thats 9-2, he beat Liam McGeary last time out and whilst i cant recall it off the top of my head i think he looked pretty great in doing so. I'll root for Nemkov here because a fresh contender at 205 will be nice, i expect Davis to win a decision though.

Women - next...

Sidelnikov/Keresh - Baby fucking Fedor! ive only ever seen him fight once or twice but he retains that sort of cult hero MMA status with me. 16-5 now but he comes in swinging. Have no idea who Keresh is, hes and Israeli but is only 2-0 so this seems abit of a weird matchup. 

Im tuning in

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

well that was Baby Fedors night, he got starched in a short but exciting little fight.

Vadim Nemkov beating Phil Davis was nice. Almost impossible to look good against Davis but Nemkov did alright. Winning rounds 1 & 2 on the feet but clearly losing round 3 where Davis finally decided to use his wrestling. 

Couture put a bit of a hurting on Gozali, nothing worked here.

Pitbull won handily against Sanchez. Didnt play out as i expected, i thought Sanchez might set a pace that would overwhelm Pitbull, it played out primarily as a kickboxing match though which Pitbull got the best of. 

Bellators overseas shows continue to do well though, that Israeli venue was rammed to the rafters. 

Mike Goldberg is a bit tired on commentary though. He's got that legendary MMA voice an' all but hes so stuck in the past its almost hard to listen too. All his references are to UFC fights he called 10 years ago. Its abit like modern day Bas Rutten. Doesnt feel like he does any research before going in

Bellator 210/211 back to back this weekend.

Yeah, two cards this weekend, which could go relatively unnoticed with the boxing, TUF finale and the Fight Night show.

Strangely enough, the Friday card (for me, anyway) actually features more names on the prelims than the main event! Weichel, Yamauchi, Joe Schilling, Noad Lahat and Joe Warren are all on the non-televised portion.

The Saturday card is a weird one, with only six fights in total announced as far as I can tell.

• Paid Members

was about to post the same thing Dave, the prelims are more stacked than the main card. How they can justify putting Weichel/Yamauchi on the prelims instead of any fight on the main card is a bit strange.

And besides the ones you mentioned, Chris Honeycutt is on there, old veteran Anthony Ruiz is on there. Joe Warren is fighting Shawn Bunch who was one of the Golden 5 Bellator signed (or however many it was) a few years ago, thats a great veteran/rookie fight. Noad Lahat is fighting Brian Moore who headlined Bellators recent Irish. Even Gerald Harris is on there.

For a small Bellator show its loaded, i usually skip the prelims too.

Just guessing but I think the first one is a tribute to the troops and a Japanese guy Vs a German hardly screams USA!!! given they two countries the US was mostly involved with World War 2.

Nemkov looked decent on the Israel card, probably won the fight in scoring but if it was judging the whole fight, Davis probably won it. Well at least it saves us from Bader Vs Davis 3, nobody wants to see. If Chandler wins, hopefully he fights Pitbull the featherweight champion one, which could be a cracker, Pitbull looked pretty good in his last fight.

Nah, the tribute to the troops show is Dec 14th - they're doing a show for the troops and their families in Hawaii, headlined by Chandler/Primus.

It's the night before the second DAZN card, which has Machida's debut on it, as well as a few other decent fights.

Apologies for double posting, but its been over a week.

WHY does no one care about Bellator... you bastards :(

Bellator have announced a double header at the Mohegan Sun in February, with the Saturday DAZN card headlined by MVP/Daley and Kongo/Minakov (with the winner facing either Bader or Fedor, depending on who has the strap). Good couple of fights, that.

Also, the second DAZN show is next week in Hawaii, and a certain stuttering dreamboat is going...

The two cards were pretty bland at the weekend, enjoyed Chael  Sonnen pissing himself after saying someone was hit in the bread basket and then wondering what it meant and who he heard it off (clearly would have been Gorilla Monsoon in the 80's) him and Sean Grande are a much better team than Goldberg & Big John McCarthy. Mike Goldberg is just doing his greatest hits and seems like he's not evolved in about 15 years, same old stuff. Big John would be a better pundit and to clear up the rules, explain scoring etc, his commentary is pretty sgit and his post fight questions are as well.

Patricky Pitbull Friere (not the FW champion one, that's his brother Patricio, both called Pitbull) is fighting former BAMMA champion Ryan Scope (11-1) in the main event of the Newcastle show, Aaron Chambers of Geordie Shore co-headlines, this won't air on TV in the States (unless DAZN pick it up), it's a regional western Europe series, they will do 10 in 2019 on 5Spike that aren't part of the normal Bellator circuit.

Mirko Cro Cop is said to be rematching Roy Nelson, Cro Cop is 8-0 in rematches (Brendan Schaub hopefully comes back for a well deserved rematch beating for being a wannabe Joe Rogan idiot)