Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bellator have put together one of those nice graphics showing the whole card:

interested that AJ Agazarm's MMA debut is buried low in the prelims, surely thats the fight that should have opened the main card once we lost the title fight? 

Bellator have been making some odd decisions when it comes to fight placement recently. They are likely trying to get eyes on the prelims but it isnt like its a feature prelim or has been advertised, its just buried in there.

Hager did a good job against Kiser I think; my only issue is that Kiser wasn't as pro-honed, & I think was more a street-fighter who was lucky to get a Bellator contract.  More amateur stats than anything being quoted in his case.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Willy killer.

However, if you want to cheer yourself up, I caught some of the Fight Companion for the Pico fight. Rogan, Bravo and Schaub spend an age licking Pico's arse, talking him up as if he's Jon Jones and even bring up GSP, while ignoring his opponent as anything. Of course, Pico gets DROPPED after fighting like a tit and all of them react like The Undertaker just lost the Streak to Carlos Mencia - absolutely gutted all of them, but made funny because they are all left with egg on their face, which Rogan then tried to backtrack on. Oddly, Schaub did call it by pointing out Pico is so into himself that he doesn't respect his opponents enough, which will be trouble against a better class of fighter.

Pico is still very young, of course, but the very best fighters are smart fighters. Pico fought with such disdainful hubris and recklessness. What is daft is Pico was rattled in his very first pro-MMA fight, so he knows his chin isn't amazing. Clearly, no one believed the Pico hype more than Pico, which is mad given how the Fight Companion were acting like Superman was about to stick on some gloves. 

Jack Swagger did the job.

The Fedor fight went exactly how I expected. Fedor's chin just isn't what it was and it was always going to be done when Bader got something off.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yeah, Pico has seemed a bit in love with himself from the jump to me. Guess that’s what can happen when everyone’s telling you your shit doesn’t stink and you’re a future world champ from the age of about 15 or whatever ridiculous age he was when they signed him. Bags of potential, no doubt, but there have been signs he’s bought into his own hype for a while now. I’ll check that Rogan podcast out. I don’t mind Rogan but I can’t deny I do like it when his over the top hyperbole gets shut down spectacularly from time to time. No doubt they thought they’d be safe to go balls deep on the Pico bumming in such a ‘risk free’ fight as this, and its backfired beautifully. 

Swagger looked good but there’s nothing to really read into it as Kiser was just a body. Not a knock on Swagger, this was his debut so a squash was totally fine. But there’s nothing to really base any real assessment on just yet. He did what you’d expect anyone of any kind of substance to do though so it’s so far, so good. 

And Fedor 😢 it was always going to look something like that unfortunately. It’s why I didn’t really even talk about it going in. Just had a bad feeling about it and resigned myself to the fact Fedor was getting bashed a long time ago. Bader is just too big, too strong, too powerful and too dialled in at the moment. Most guys at their peak in Bellator aren’t beating this version of Bader so a Fedor at the end of his career was always going to be battling uphill. Bader’s looking lethal right now. Fair play to him. Never was much of a fan but he’s really found his form since jumping to Bellator.

• Paid Members

This misses all of the arse licking prior to the fight and some of the backtracking, but here's the reaction. Although whoever edited this deserves some medals because in the opening few seconds Joe is going on about how great his defence is.

I also just remembered him starting the fight in that daft pose. Kevin Lee would have been proud of that.

• Paid Members

Ha, I found a longer version with Rogan arselicking intact. Such gems as “one day he’s gonna be unbeatable” and “he looks like a world champion boxer”. Oh Rogan 😂

When fucking Brendan Schaub is being the more level headed and sensible regarding the hype you know you’re going overboard. 

Edited by wandshogun09

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ha, I found a longer version with Rogan arselicking intact. Such gems as “one day he’s gonna be unbeatable” and “he looks like a world champion boxer”. Oh Rogan 😂

When fucking Brendan Schaub is being the more level headed and sensible regarding the hype you know you’re going overboard. 

To be fair, early in the podcast Schaub planted the boxing seed by insisting that when he met Freddie Roach, Freddie was saying that Pico is light years ahead of Miguel Cotto at a similar age and that he begs Pico to turn professional and leave MMA regularly.

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

To be fair, early in the podcast Schaub planted the boxing seed by insisting that when he met Freddie Roach, Freddie was saying that Pico is light years ahead of Miguel Cotto at a similar age and that he begs Pico to turn professional and leave MMA regularly.

It was worse than that, there was some bollocks that when Pico was 18 he was winning multiple rounds against Cotto in full 100% sparring. Freddie apparently said "he'd be a world champion in boxing right now". 

Not like Freddie Roach trained fighters to be going full pelt in the gym then getting flatlined on fight night eh. 

Edited by Marshmallo

• Paid Members

Schaub should probably stop talking about Boxing. Every time he does, nothing but shit comes out. ”Conor hits harder than Canelo”. He did some work on the Mayweather vs McGregor coverage and Paulie Malignaggi gave him the time of day for a few weeks so now he thinks he’s Emanuel Steward or something. 

Edited by wandshogun09

5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Schaub should probably stop talking about Boxing. Every time he does, nothing but shit comes out. ”Conor hits harder than Canelo”. He did some work on the Mayweather vs McGregor coverage and Paulie Malignaggi gave him the time of day for a few weeks so now he thinks he’s Emanuel Steward or something. 

The first five words of this post would have sufficed.

Oh and a moments silence for Ebb's acca.