Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its a few weeks off but the slow start of the year is making me restless. Bellator have finalised their January 25th show and they are coming out heavy.

CyborgVsBudd_1920x1080.jpg?quality=0.85&

Julia Budd vs. Cris Cyborg - Womens 145lb Title

Darrion Coldwell vs. Adam Borics - Featherweight Grand Prix Quarter Final

Sergio Pettis vs. Alfred Khasakyan

Dillon Danis vs. Kegan Gennrich

Henry Corrales vs. Juan Archuleta

The prelims are loaded up too, featuring Aaron Pico, Curtis Millinder, AJ Argazarm, Raymond Daniels amongst others. Bellator aint fucking about.

I don't believe Pettis was cut, as such. He ran out his UFC contract and decided to test free agency.

The promotion has also signed Jordan Mein. 

Looking forward to the January 25th card. I hope Borics advances in the FW tournament. But he won't have it easy against Caldwell. In fact, the Borics vs Caldwell match-up is probably the hardest to predict out of all the QFs. 

• Paid Members

Looking up Julia Budd's record, I'm surprised the UFC didn't sign her up as a much needed addition to women's 145. She's only got two losses on her record, very early on to Rousey and Nunes. 11-match undefeated streak and she's got Coenen and De Randamie amongst the scalps she's taken. Interesting.

• Paid Members

I think Bellator snapped her up with the idea of having her spearhead their new 145lb division. The shit thing about any promotion at 145lb is that there simply aint enough decent women to go around. Its even worse with Kayla Harrison who fights at 155 in the PFL, who is she meant to fight?

Big John has doubled down on his comments about MVP/Anderson Silva - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/8/21056384/ufc-john-mccarthy-explains-michael-page-anderson-silva-comparison-bellator-mma-news

Jimmy Smith has posted a reply video, where he debunks Big John's argument. Well worth a listen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPfBm2Y9-A

Frans Mlambo vs Ricky Bandejas added to the Dublin card in February. Mlambo is a training partner of James Gallagher it seems, and could get some revenge over the guy who beat Gallagher two years ago.

I've seen the card being reported as:

James Gallagher vs. Cal Ellenor

Aaron Chalmers vs. Austin Clem

Leah McCourt vs. Judith Ruis

Brent Primus vs. Peter Queally

Kyle Kurtz vs. Charlie Ward

Elina Kallionidou vs. Bec Rawlings

Kiefer Crosbie vs. Hugh Pulley

Paul Redmond vs. Ryan Scope

Chris Duncan vs. Ryan Roddy

Daniel Crawford vs. Philip Mulpeter

Arunas Andriuskevicus vs. Karl Moore

Will Fleury vs. Justin Moore

Ranjeet Baria vs. Richie Smullen

Oliver Enkamp vs. Lewis Long

Danni Neilan vs. Chiara Penco

Ezzoubair Bouarsa vs. Blaine O’Driscoll

Ciaran Clarke vs. Jamie Faulding

Ilias Bulaid vs. Diego Freitas

Dylan Logan vs. Tom Mearns

Constantin Blanita vs. Asael Adjoudj

Ricky Bandejas vs. Frans Mlambo

Seriously, that many fights? Fucking hell.

Some of those on the card are local fighters, who Bellator book for the sole purpose of driving attendance figures. As an example, hometown boy Constantin Blanita, who is making his professional debut on this card, has a record of 5-3 as an amateur. Bellator has also invested a lot in the UK market, and therefore, have a lot of additional talent to showcase on these shows. 

The upshot of all this is that you get overloaded cards with 20+ fights on them. 

I personally only watch the main cards of Bellator shows. I can only withstand 2-3 hours of MMA in one sitting these days. This show will probably last from mid-afternoon until around 11pm. You'd have to pay me to sit through all of it. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeh thats pretty ridiculous. I know it'll be split into two main cards again though, Bellator Dublin and Bellator 239. Just stick to those and you'll have a solid night of fights. Gonna try to keep myself free on that date to watch it live.

• Paid Members

Have tickets for that Dublin show. Paid the 300 bob again, but it's worth it because after being cageside last time out, I couldn't be sitting up the back with the peasants ever again. I jest, but last one such was an amazing night - and barring Henderson and Jury which was fucking awful and cunts in the jacks and elsewhere asking for pictures thinking I was James poxy Webb  - I didn't feel the time go with such an almost ignorant amount of fights, so expecting more of the same.
I can't see it being a Bellator (insert number here) show, as I don't think there's enough "names" outside of the European realm to - what I'd perceive anyway - warrant Paramount or whoever picking it up for US broadcast. But I could be wrong. Hopefully I am, as last time out there was a who's who walking around the place.

Petesy Carroll was saying he'd heard murmurings about MVP being added to the card on top of all that. Probably to deliver a flying knee to a photocopier or something.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Loves a bit of Fred Perry, does Petesy.

Been promoted to regular host on the A-Side too, I see. He ramps up the Oirishness full pelt on that - almost McG'ing some of his pronunciations - as opposed to his Eurobash slot, but power to him, he's making a good career for himself. He's a great listen, very charming and is a lovely, lovely chap in person.

6 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Have tickets for that Dublin show. Paid the 300 bob again, but it's worth it because after being cageside last time out, I couldn't be sitting up the back with the peasants ever again. I jest, but last one such was an amazing night - and barring Henderson and Jury which was fucking awful and cunts in the jacks and elsewhere asking for pictures thinking I was James poxy Webb  - I didn't feel the time go with such an almost ignorant amount of fights, so expecting more of the same.
I can't see it being a Bellator (insert number here) show, as I don't think there's enough "names" outside of the European realm to - what I'd perceive anyway - warrant Paramount or whoever picking it up for US broadcast. But I could be wrong. Hopefully I am, as last time out there was a who's who walking around the place.

Petesy Carroll was saying he'd heard murmurings about MVP being added to the card on top of all that. Probably to deliver a flying knee to a photocopier or something.

The NASA guy who had a telescope named after him? 

EDIT: Seems the Danis fight is at a catchweight of 175lbs for some reason. Can't see him losing it, the dude he's fighting is coming up 20lbs to make the weight.

Edited by David