Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Breen believes that Rampage could have gone on against Fedor, but wanted out. He also makes the point that Coker should use nostalgia acts more selectively, a point I agree with - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/12/30/21043152/bellator-japan-mma-editorial-rampage-jackson-doesnt-care-but-everyone-else-should

Meanwhile, Rampage is saying he will fight again, but at 205lbs rather than heavyweight. The top 3 Bellator light heavyweights, Bader, Nemkov and Davis, are all world class light heavies. It would be pointless to match Rampage with any of those three. 

The rest of the division, however, is pretty weak. I guess Bellator could match Rampage up against Machida on a US card, or have him headline against Sakara on one of their Italian shows. But really, I could live without those fights happening. I would be much happier if Bellator cut ties with him. He could always make his dough in BKFC, or whatever it is called. 

• Paid Members

Wouldn’t be all that surprised if Tito tries to get that fight with Rampage now, after seeing how shite he looked against Fedor. It’s another once great name to put in his win column. 

I can see them doing the Machida fight down the line. Wasn’t their first fight considered a controversial decision back in the day? Without being arsed enough to check, I think Rampage won on points but a good chunk of fans and media thought Machida got a raw deal. I seem to remember even Rampage saying he was surprised he got the nod from the judges.

In 2020, I have no desire to see Rampage vs Machida 2 though. Or any fight involving Rampage really. 

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Wouldn’t be all that surprised if Tito tries to get that fight with Rampage now, after seeing how shite he looked against Fedor. It’s another once great name to put in his win column. 

I can see them doing the Machida fight down the line. Wasn’t their first fight considered a controversial decision back in the day? Without being arsed enough to check, I think Rampage won on points but a good chunk of fans and media thought Machida got a raw deal. I seem to remember even Rampage saying he was surprised he got the nod from the judges.

In 2020, I have no desire to see Rampage vs Machida 2 though. Or any fight involving Rampage really. 

Oh god, I forgot about Tito. That fight would probably get made if Bellator and Rampage part ways.

And yes, the decision for Rampage vs Machida was very controversial. Rampage even seemed surprised to get the decision. Although, it probably wasn't as big a gift as he got against Ninja Rua in Pride. 

• Paid Members

Oh the Ninja fight was a straight robbery from what I remember. Best thing Rampage had going for him in that fight was his afro. 

6-BB4-E5-FD-5906-4-BFA-A1-B9-AE3-BC5-A26

You mentioned him maybe doing Bare Knuckle before. I didn’t think of that but it wouldn’t shock me if that’s the move he makes. BK seems to be the choice for washed up MMA fighters (and Paulie Malignaggi) these days. 

I’m predicting we’ll be seeing Rampage vs Wanderlei 5 in BKFC sometime in 2020. There I said it. 

• Paid Members

Was disappointed to see Rampage turn up in that kind of shape, he looked awful. That said, it was quite nice to see Fedor get through unscathed and score a decent win, hopefully the retirement sticks.

It was a night of mismatches really, but that gave it an old school J-MMA feel. Nakamura and Anzai were no hopers who just got battered. Yamauchi made short work of Cruickshank and Chandler walked through Outlaw.

Echo everything about Goldberg/McCarthey though. Feels like i rip into them after every show now though.

Some think that Goldberg and Big John are too comfortable alongside one another. The theory goes that Big John would put more effort into his commentary if he was alongside someone who takes the sport seriously, and also isn't a close personal friend. That would explain why he's more bearable alongside Mauro. 

@Egg Shen

Fedor isn't retiring btw. His translator messed up. He'll be back next year. 

Fedor doesn't half have some talented teammates these days. His training partners include the Nemkov brothers, Tokov, and Moldavsky The younger Nemkov brother, Vadim, is Fedor's protege, and in my opinion one of the most exciting prospects in the sport. The only "old" face still knocking around is Kirill Sidelnikov (Baby Fedor). Otherwise, Fedor has surrounded himself with a completely new set of people in recent years. That includes a new set of hangers-on, yes-men, etc. 

I kinda wish Fedor had made these moves before his body started to decline. Maybe then, we would not have seen him go 1-3 in Strikeforce and become a shell of the fighter he was in Pride. Of course, perhaps Fedor would have continued taking short-cuts in training and relying on wild swings inside the cage, regardless of the company he kept. He's meant to be quite a domineering character and not the agreeable hired-gun that some used to paint him as. Still, it's a shame that we only saw glimpses of prime Fedor on US soil, rather than the complete package that competed in Pride between 2002-2005. 

• Paid Members

Fedor still looks decent offensively, and i dont think hes ever come close to being in a dull fight, its been a fun ride despite the losses. Its his vunerability that's cost him in recent years, he always seems to fragile, one shot on the chin from being on queer street.

Fedor is indeed still very light on his feet. And he's always had decent kicks when he's been bothered to use them. However, his reflexes and chin have diminished greatly. His ageing body also creaks in camp and after fights, meaning that he can't train and fight like he used to do. 

Someone on Sherdog called for a rematch with Bader. Yeah, fuck that, he's not got the game to compete at that level anymore. But I wouldn't mind a Russian derby between him and Sergei, or the long-awaited dream match-up with Barnett. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:30 AM, jimufctna24 said:

The only "old" face still knocking around is Kirill Sidelnikov (Baby Fedor). Otherwise, Fedor has surrounded himself with a completely new set of people in recent years. That includes a new set of hangers-on, yes-men, etc. 

Quick correction.

Gary "Jerry" Millen was with Fedor last weekend as well. I missed seeing him on camera. 

How on earth has that div managed to stay in Fedor's camp? Or MMA in general for that matter? 

Edited by jimufctna24