Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Barnett's case with USADA was interesting.

Barnett apparently keeps a residual amount of every supplement he takes. He was flagged by USADA in late 2016 for a banned substance tested and faced a lengthy suspension. He responded by paying for every supplement he had taken to be tested for contamination. After all, he himself had possession of every supplement he had ingested, which made his supplement usage much easier to backtrack. It was found that he had indeed unknowingly ingested a contaminated product. His suspension was dropped and he received only a reprimand. 

It was ironic that the most reckless drug user in MMA history actually managed to clear his name on this occasion with meticulous record keeping. 

Fair play to him. No doubt he'll be compensated well by PFL. 

The losses to Moose and Lima, coupled with the draw against Fitch, no doubt lowered his bargaining power with Bellator. The promotion can just about afford to lose him. Their WW division will roll along fine without him. 

Edit: Bellator 235 and 236 will be shown on Sky Sports Mix this weekend. The former takes place on Friday evening/Saturday morning. The latter takes place on Saturday evening/Sunday morning. Both shows begin at 3am. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

wasnt expecting that from Rory and the PFL. Good on them though, it'll draw some eyeballs to them, im following the promotion without watching it and it seems to be doing alright, the big second season finale is on Dec. 31st. 

Be interesting to see if they bring in any other big names for season 3, that $1million prize money has gotta be a pretty sweet little incentive.

• Paid Members

Back to back Bellator action this weekend then (both shows on Sky Sports). Here's the main cards:

Friday...

B235_1920x1080_tunein.jpg?quality=0.85&w

Josh Barnett vs. Ronny Markes

Toby Misech vs. Erik Perez

Alejandra Vera vs. Veta Arteaga

Tywan Claxton vs. Brandon Akeo

Joey Davis vs. Chris Cisneros

Saturday:

B236H_App_Header_2082x1170.jpg?quality=0

Ilima-Lei McFarlane vs. Kate Jackson - Women's Flyweight Title

AJ McKee vs. Derek Campos - Featherweight GP Quarter Final

Jason Jackson vs. Kiichi Kunimoto

Juliana Velasquez vs. Bruna Ellen

Raufeon Stots vs. Cheyden Leialoah

Nainoa Dung vs. Zach Zane

Edited by Egg Shen

Bad night for Bellator last night. The main event was scrapped after Barnett was deemed unfit to fight by the commission and new signing Erik Perez was knocked out by a journeyman in less than a minute. 

On a more positive note for the promotion, Joey Davis put in another impressive performance. Sherdog's Keith Shillan was raving about him in earlier in the week.

Davis might be my favorite prospect in all of MMA. The 6-0 professional has as much raw potential as anybody in the sport. His entire career has been showcased under the Bellator umbrella, where he has already stopped four opponents before reaching the judges’ scorecards. The Compton, California native is making huge strides in his striking game from fight to fight. While he isn’t the most technically sound striker, he has shown fast hands with bone-crushing power. He can focus on his right hand a little too much, looking to constantly throw the overhand right and uppercut. He shoots out a lot of kicks but sometimes leaves himself open to counters with no set-ups. He also doesn’t tuck his chin when striking, which could be a major issue when facing a power puncher. “Black Ice” has a knack for the spectacular, having already scored knockout wins with a spinning back kick and a flying knee. The 25-year-old is also and more importantly an elite wrestler. He was a four-time NCAA Divisional II National Champion wrestler who complied a perfect 133-0 collegiate record. The Bodyshop MMA representative closes the distance as fast as anybody in the sport and he chains takedowns together perfectly. He is not yet a submission threat on the ground and he also, somewhat surprisingly, doesn’t have the best top control, though this is understandable in light of the extreme aggression with which he throws his powerful ground strikes.

• Paid Members

Read earlier that Rampage has opened as a big underdog against Fedor according to oddsmakers. Why? That’s a total ‘whoever lands first’ shootout at this point if ever I’ve seen one. If anything I’m favouring Rampage although I hope Fedor wins. 

Perhaps they are looking at it from the perspective that Sonnen beat Jackson, whereas Fedor finished Sonnen inside a round. 

Of course, that would be a stupid way of looking at things as MMA Math doesn't work and styles make fights. However, I struggle to think of another reason why Fedor would be such a favourite. The Fedor of 2019 is a lumbering brawler who is physically unable to use his sambo skills. He's hardly a nightmare match-up for the Rampage of 2019, who while a poor defensive wrestler and all round lazy tosser, hasn't lost any of his power. 

• Paid Members

Exactly. I won’t be at all surprised if Fedor clobbers him with one of his windmill of haymakers. And I’ll be chuffed if he does. But for all Rampage’s faults he’s got the better Boxing of the two, offensively and defensively, and the better chin. He’s also probably the bigger man physically these days. I understand it’s mostly flab but still, it’s added weight behind his punches and Rampage knows how to punch. Even in both their primes, I would’ve favoured Fedor more but still wouldn’t have had him as a massive favourite.