Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

excellent news, thats New Years sorted for me. 

Im trying to think back to the last time i watched a New Years Eve show properly, its been a good few years, ive planned too the last few years but its never really panned out. Recognisable Bellator names mixed with the Rizin crew and no doubt some odd veteran matchups and general Japanese weirdness means im all in for this. 

• Paid Members

Difficult one to call, but I think Rampage gets this one. It seems to me Rampage's problem is that his style is pretty much obsolete, and the sport's passed him by now. But he doesn't give much impression of being shot, outside of the usual decline that comes with age. Fedor, on the other, does look shot.

Rampage is coasting at this stage of his career. However, he still carries a lot of power and is very durable. In fact, you have to go back to 2005 to find the last time that Rampage was stopped due to strikes.

Fedor, on the other hand, is a shell of his former self. He can't use his sambo anymore because his body won't allow him to do so. Thus, what we are left with is a lumbering brawler, who can still pop, but is ultimately very limited and brittle. Therefore, I think Rampage via stoppage is the most probable outcome.

Unlike others online, I don't have any strong moral objections to this fight. While I don't think nostalgia works in MMA beyond re-viewing old fight tapes, and I would much rather Fedor retire at this stage of his career, I will admittedly get a small kick out of two Pride legends standing nose to nose.  

Edited by jimufctna24

I flicked through both Bellator shows, picking out certain fights and fast-forwarding others. Nemkov looked really good. He completely dominated Carvalho on the ground and standing. Another nice scalp for him. I'm becoming a fan. 

Elsewhere, it's surreal that Manhoef, Sakara and Baby Fedor all picked up wins on the same card in 2019. I hadn't seen the latter two fight in over a decade. 

• Paid Members

i caught the Manheof fight, the UK coverage is all over the place for these shows though. The My 5 on demand broadcast goes straight into the Manheof fight so i watched that then knocked it off.

Good win for Melvin, you cant help but feel he'll keep going until he's KO'd badly again though.

18 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The My 5 on demand broadcast goes straight into the Manheof fight so i watched that then knocked it off.

The Manhoef fight opened the live broadcast as well. I think they wanted Sakara to go on last in the arena. 

You didn't really miss much. I had the live broadcast on as background noise more than anything. It was the same with the taped show on Sky. I flicked through almost all of it, until Nemkov came on. 

Elsewhere, the promotion uploaded this a few days back. 

A few notes heading into this weekend's cards

-  Saad Awad has stepped in to fight Daley on Saturday's event. Sabah Homasi withdrew with an injury. 

- Minakov has withdrawn from his bout with Ayala, which was also scheduled for Saturday's show t. He had visa issues. 

- Literally no one cares about the Mir vs Nelson rematch, which headlines Friday's event. 

- Both shows have some interesting prospects on its main card. The Friday show has Hager, Ed Ruth and a solid Light-Heavyweight match-up between Phil Davis and Rizin veteran Karl Albrektsson. Saturday's show has Patrick Mix, Robin van Roosmalen, and Nick Newell. 

- The main event of the weekend is easily Lima vs MacDonald. There is a real feeling that this is Lima's big moment. 

• Paid Members

the Bellator double header is great, excellent fights on both cards. Lots of Bellator randomness thrown in amongst the good stuff to keep it interesting. Here's the two main cards:

B231_1920x1080_main_event_tunein.jpg?qua

Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson

Phil Davis vs. Karl Albrekktsson

Ed Ruth vs. Jason Jackson

Bec Rawlings vs. Ilara Joanne

Jake Hager vs. Anthony Garrett

B232_1920x1080_main_event_tunein.jpg?qua

Rory MacDonald vs. Douglas Lima - Welterweight Title/Grand Prix Final

Paul Daley vs. Saad Awad

Patrick Mix vs. Isaiah Chapman

Javy Ayala vs. TBC

Nick Newell vs. Manny Muro