Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Closest comparison would be when Cro Cop would occasionally turn up in a good mood to do media and have everyone cracking up. 

Cro Cop is meant to be a very affable guy to those who know him personally. He's certainly able to light up a room when he wants to. An online friend, who knows him personally, once told me that he's a pleasure to be around, "even though you can tell he could kill you within a second if he wanted to".

Funnily enough, however, Cro Cop was roundly disliked by the MMA media. They perceived him as difficult, cold, and manipulative. By contrast, they adored Wanderlei Silva, who was known as one of the friendliest and passionate fighters in the game. 

From what I understand, Mousasi is perceived to be a bit of an asshole, but at the same time a transparent and likeable asshole. I think the media appreciate that he speaks his mind these days. It certainly gives them something to write (and laugh) about. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, media prefer a guy like that than someone who gives them nothing to work with. Anyone who saw Joe Joyce being interviewed by the BT crew on the Dubois show on Friday night will have a fresh example of that in the memory. 

Oh and I can well imagine Cro Cop is sound away from the cameras. I just think he mostly didn’t care to do media before fights all that much. Whenever he did do interviews I always thought he came across well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Regarding Bellator's BW title:

Horiguchi is apparently pencilled in to rematch Asakura on NYE under the Rizin banner. Both Coker and Horiguchi's manager have claimed that the fight has been booked. If Asakura beats Horguchi again, Coker plans on booking a third fight between the two in Bellator next year for the BW title. To further complicate matters, Asakura is scheduled to fight in Rizin in two weeks time against a journeyman. 

As for Bellator's FW GP, I actually enjoyed the selection process. At least it was something a bit different. 

• Paid Members

Jaysus there were a lot of fights this weekend, wasn't there? I only got caught up on it all around lunch time there (well, apart from the sky sports portion of the Bellator show from Dublin - I could only see the channel 5 bit)

The Bellator Dublin show had a fantastic atmosphere, with one good fight, that being Queally's come from behind victory. Gallagher and MVP both fought cans, but they dispatched them in the manner that they would have been expected, so that was a plus.

Gallagher and MVP both have value, and Bellator realise how to get the best out of that value by giving them showcase fights for the time being. Nothing wrong with that when you have a young guy in Gallagher, and another guy in MVP who is more sizzle than steak. 

I loved the FW Grand Prix draw. A brilliant idea and I especially liked the wrinkle at the end with the champions advantage for Pitbull. I can completely understand why he took the extra few months recovery time. McKee picking December also makes sense as he's fresh as a daisy off the back of that incredible knockout, so he's much better giving himself the chance to recover between the quarter's and semi's. I thought this was a really cool idea. 

Pitbull Vs Archuleta was a tough battle, but one I never thought Pitbull was in danger of losing. I had it 49-46. 

I had the main event 30-27 for Mousasi but it wasn't an overly exciting fight. I was close to giving Machida the 3rd round, with the choke attempt at the end, but I think Mousasi rode that one out the way that he did, knowing the round was close to being over. 

• Paid Members

the atmosphere at Bellator Dublin was amongst the best ive ever heard at an MMA event, it was electric. Had to skip 228 unfortunately, just too much to take in this week.

heres MVP's knockout...

• Paid Members
On 10/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, Egg Shen said:

the atmosphere at Bellator Dublin was amongst the best ive ever heard at an MMA event, it was electric. Had to skip 228 unfortunately, just too much to take in this week.

heres MVP's knockout...

Aye, it was an incredible night, Ebb. Didn't expect anything other than Kiely being ironed out and made a show of by MVP. Kiely looked like he just walked out of a kebab shop at 4am looking for a taxi and/or a row with someone. Even his pants ripped. Was a farce of a fight. Were you there? If you were, I'm devvo, coz would have arranged to meet you!

I was literally front row. Jamie Dornan right beside me (who sat there on his own, from 4pm, in the same position with the most zen expression on his face all night), Sinead Kavanagh (who is an absolute dote of a person), Bec Rawlings, Brian Moore sitting beside us for the night, and John Kavanagh came over for a bit. Crackers. Rawlings had us up on her Insta going spare during Gallaghers' walkout. I was with my nephew and he just spent 9 hours jazz handing, which was lovely to see.

But yeah, genuinely, in all my days, never heard anything like it when Queally walked out to Zombie and we got louder and louder through Scopes' entrance. Fucking magical moment, that.

Fight of the Night for me, funnily enough, was McCabe/Mulpeter. I really, really enjoyed that one.

I don't know how Henderson/Jury came off on d'telly, but it was a bag of shite live. Just gave credence to how aging fighters would treat Bellator as a payday. In my opinion, anyway.

Right at the end, when Gallagher is on the cage? Some cunt fixing his hair in his phone, in the front row, in a wifebeater? That was me...and my mates and missus have been teeing off on me about it ever since.

Edited by Scott Malbranque
LOUD NOISES

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Glad you had a good night Scott. Watching on the telly, that whole Queally entrance/fight was the highlight for me. That must’ve been mental live. 

Was a wonderful night, Magic.
I remember at one stage during the 2nd round of the Scope/Queally fight, my nephew turning to me with a look of panic in his face saying "It's going to get stopped" but after that entrance and the way the crowd were riled up to all bollocks, I knew Queally wasn't getting done.
When the ref stood them back up, the roar of the crowd was incredible, and when Queally swarmed on him and put him away, I was drenched in beer, water and even a bit of hot dog, with people jumping all over each other like Packie Bonner just saved Timofte's penalty in Italia 90.

One of the best nights of my life that I've ever had without alcohol. And McGregor smelled wonderful.

Also, Lee Chadwick's missus was all over Fabian Edwards at cageside and he was fucking stewing with her and dragged her off. That was a bit of Hello! Magazine gossip for the night.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Nah @Scott Malbranque, i watched on TV. It all came off great.

I love how MMA has shifted to there being lots of success in certain specific markets. A few years ago a show was always analysed and critiqued from how many known stars were on a show, these days the guys you'd think are star attractions are playing second fiddle to the guys fighting in their hometowns. Its great to see.

Edited by Egg Shen

I happened to be flicking channels 15 minutes before last night's show started. I would not have bothered otherwise. 

The main event was a bit of a war. I had no problem with the judges giving it to Larkin. Elsewhere, the opener was an entertaining enough, and Yamauchi landed a nice submission win. Tokov also scored another win on the non-televised portion of the undercard (I've heard good things about him).

But really, this wasn't a show you needed to watch. 

• Paid Members

The Milan, Italy show next weekend is live on Channel 5 from 10pm on Saturday night. I don’t even know the card but saw Melvin Manhoef is headlining so I’ll be tuning in. 

Next weekend is stupidly stacked. You’ve got this Bellator on 5, the UFC with Jedrzejczyk vs Waterson, plus the Josh Warrington fight on BT and Usyk vs Spong on Sky Sports.