Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

A few bits of news:

- Jack Hager (Swagger) has been booked for the undercard of the Mir vs Nelson bill on October 25th. He'll be fighting Anthony Garrett.

- The promotion has signed Eric Perez. 

- James Gallagher will now fight Roman Salazar next weekend. Cal Ellenor was forced to withdraw after abnormalities were discovered in his pre-fight brain scan.

• Paid Members

Erik Perez! I used to really like him back when he was in the UFC but completely forgot about him. Here’s Perez with Ariel El Helwani back in the UFC days...

B1-F5798-A-5412-4681-B6-A8-C795-DCDC14-C

I didn’t even remember how he parted ways with the UFC. I just assumed they cut him after some losses but looking at his Wiki page, he left the UFC coming off 3 wins. His contract expired and they didn’t renew it. Odd as he was always pretty fun to watch, seemed like the type of likeable personality that might catch on and they were trying to crack Mexico at the time. Maybe he wanted to leave. He’s since picked up a couple of wins in Combate Americas, taking him to 5 in a row, 19-6 overall. Good signing for Bellator, I reckon. 

• Paid Members

yeh i didnt realise Perez had left. Nice pick up for Bellator.

Bellator's Irish card has taken abit of a hammering, nice to see they found James Gallagher an opponent though.

Dunno how that things getting put on TV though, its being marketed as two different cards, i think the Henderson/Jury portion will be on 5, then they'll leap to the Gallagher headlined part on Sky, or vice versa.

• Paid Members

According to my mate who has a fair hand in production at the Three Arena in Dublin;  Gallagher/Salazar, Novenyi/Fleury (because of Girtz's situation), MVP/Kiely et al will be going out live on Channel 5 and Virgin Media Sports, and the Henderson/Jury part of the card is pre-taped, broadcasting from 2am on Sky.

I was poxy stumped as to how it was all panning out live - and who was actually finishing the show - but according to my mate, it's Gallagher and Salazar closing, with Henderson in the middle somewhere.

But yeah, buzzing for this Friday all the same. Nice way to ring in my shiting 40th...

• Paid Members

For the first time ever, I'm genuinely interested in MVP. Always am when it comes to the first fight right after a fighter's first loss. I want to see how he responds. I'm hoping he's channelled the frustration and disappointment into an effort to evolve himself.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

Anyone know much about Richard Kiely? i know him ane MVP have gone back and forth and its heated but hes only 3-1 as a pro.

Looks very much like someone bought in to rehabilitate Page and give him a win.  I don't know how true this is but I read on one site that Kiely is the #63 ranked Welterweight in Britain and Ireland.  Says it all really!

• Paid Members

Yeah, after the shit fight with Paul Daley where he was outgrappled (by Paul Daley!) for large spells of it, then getting sparked by Douglas Lima, I was fully expecting them to feed him a few easy wins to rebuild him. No doubt he’ll piss about and moonwalk through a few nobodies now with highlight reel knockouts and we’ll keep hearing how he’s ‘back’ and how everyone’s fucked. Until he steps in with someone good again and gets exposed.

He’s entertaining in his own way but I’ve never been convinced MVP is anything special. Aside from the Daley snoozer, which really could’ve been scored either way, what’s his best win? A broken down, never that good to begin with Cyborg? People forget but between his bunch of flashy giftastic KOs and dance moves, he’s spent a good chunk of his MMA career pulling out of fights injured and talking more than doing. He also looked very ordinary against some journeyman whose name I’m forgetting not too long back and went to a decision in an awful fight. Just not buying what he’s selling. He’s been compared to Prince Naseem from time to time, probably guilty of that myself in the past, but the big difference is that Naz was elite. His flashiness and wacky antics just added to his effectiveness and overall style. Naz was all flash on the surface but had the foundation of skills and punching power to back it up. Whereas I find MVP is mostly flash and doesn’t have the substance behind it to go beyond a certain level. It sounds harsh and he’s not terrible or anything. But I’ve never seen him as the big prospect he was made out as. And he’s 32 now. It’s not like he’s some wet behind the ears 20 year old with bags of time to grow. He is pretty much what he is at this point. You’re not going to be making significant gains and closing gaps in the grappling or whatever at 32 years old. And the guys in his weight range like Lima and Rory smoke him all day, every day. Imagine him in the UFC’s Welterweight division? The likes of Usman, Covington, Woodley, Askren and Maia would ragdoll him. He’d be light work. I’m not sure he’d get past the Mike Perry level, to be honest. 

I think Page is a decent-enough fighter. He had some good moments against Lima before getting clipped. It was also clear that Daley was wary of his striking. Daley tends to fight more conservatively when he respects his opponent's striking. There was apparently a fight years ago between Daley and Masvidal that panned out in a similar way to Page vs Daley. 

Will he ever become champion in Bellator? Most probably not. Logan Storley is probably the future of the promotion's welterweight division. But I think Page can be a decent addition to Bellator's main cards, provided he is matched with the correct opponents. The Daley rematch will surely happen in the near-future.